Air Conditioning Issues please give me some good news

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
So AC.....I dont got it. The pump clutch activates about 5 times after start up then stops. I attached a can of freon to the port on the canister itself not the line next to airbox(remember this is on a cummins). I though the high pressure ports was on the tank and the low pressure one was on the line but the gauge only fits on the canister port. Anyways it wont seem to take any freon. I had tapped my efan into one of the clutch wires but I checked those wires and they seem good. Anybody got some help for me????

Reece

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
just a dumb questions.... was the ac on when you tried adding?

do you have a gauge to test what the freon level is at?
find out what size plug the low side is and buy the correct fitting. a lot of shops will have multiple attachments for freon. Maybe ask them to barrow if for a few minutes?

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
yep ac blower and temp level on high. Just did some more reading around on the net and may have lucked out. Did not think I would find anything that fast but it seems that my ac clutch coil may be getting weak(or broken) and the relay may require more current that whatever sends the signal to it can put out. I just sent an email to a company that sells them so hope to have a new one on the way before too long. Ill try and keep this updated in case this happens to anyone else.

05singlecabHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
yep ac blower and temp level on high. Just did some more reading around on the net and may have lucked out. Did not think I would find anything that fast but it seems that my ac clutch coil may be getting weak(or broken) and the relay may require more current that whatever sends the signal to it can put out. I just sent an email to a company that sells them so hope to have a new one on the way before too long. Ill try and keep this updated in case this happens to anyone else.

yea if the freon levels were right i was going to say might be the compressor. I remember reading somthing about the coils/clutch, that if they are weak it wont allow the compressor to engage. I think it was on this forum somewhere.

OP
OP
reddot

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
yeah im not sure what going on. In my mind if the clutch is bad it would not let it engage 5 times every start up but then nothing after that. I have to do some more reading and re-reading and probably some more searching.

I hope im an idiot and its a bad relay in the fuse box. Dont know if we have one there for ac but I did not think to even check it.

Cummins2011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 diesel
I replaced clutch coil, high pressure, expansion valve, and had truck flashed nothing makes the clutch engage