Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to replace my air filter with a K&N drop in filter. Has anyone done/seen any concrete proof of any increase in hp and/or fuel mileage increase? I would like to see some dyno numbers before and after. I'm not interested in a cold air intake. Thanks. .. BTW. . It's a 2015 ram 5.7L

H1Chester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you search for "K&N drop in" I believe there is a thread that has this same topic.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to replace my air filter with a K&N drop in filter. Has anyone done/seen any concrete proof of any increase in hp and/or fuel mileage increase? I would like to see some dyno numbers before and after. I'm not interested in a cold air intake. Thanks. .. BTW. . It's a 2015 ram 5.7L

I'd love to see some actual proof that they do anything as well.Not that I'd ever run one in anything that I own.I want something in there that filters properly the minute you put it in,not down the road when it's half plugged up.:favorites13:

pcschwenke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought one and couldn't tell the difference. I will upgrade to a Vararam or S&B soon.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aem drop in for me. No performance gains. I can just clean and reuse so may save money down the line not buying replacement filters.

Reactions: SyN

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Like everyone has said, there is no performance or mileage benefit in adding a drop in oiled or dry filter. The only plus to this is that you can simply clean and reuse it for the life of the truck.

Reactions: SyN

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So more air adds nothing? Had plenty of race cars that it did. just saying..
I ordered a AEM for mine, read many reviews where many say getting a mile or two better mpg and many saying throttle response is better. I just wanted one because of savings, would not put a kn in my lawnmower, had one in my 2000 z71 for 230k, and it burns a qt every 1k, did the kn do it, don't know but read many bad things about its lack of filtration, AEM is said to really filter well and flow more air, we will see

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
So more air adds nothing? Had plenty of race cars that it did. just saying..
I ordered a AEM for mine, read many reviews where many say getting a mile or two better mpg and many saying throttle response is better. I just wanted one because of savings, would not put a kn in my lawnmower, had one in my 2000 z71 for 230k, and it burns a qt every 1k, did the kn do it, don't know but read many bad things about its lack of filtration, AEM is said to really filter well and flow more air, we will see

Any difference in airflow between a clean stock filter and a new drop ni oiled/dry filter will be negligible. A true cold air intake that is pulling in air from outside the engine bay, has a smooth inlet tube, and a filter with a larger surface area will make more power though.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like everyone has said, there is no performance or mileage benefit in adding a drop in oiled or dry filter. The only plus to this is that you can simply clean and reuse it for the life of the truck.

With all due respect, to clean and reuse an oiled filter is not "simple". First you have to buy the cleaning kit $. Then you have to spray on the cleaner and hose it off. Then you have to let it dry. Your truck is down while it dries, the rest of the day at least. Then you spray on the new oil and install the filter. Oh, and don't forget to buy some rubber gloves and shop towels for this simple project. You have now saved the $20 bucks for a new paper filter but what a PITA. I'll bet most of these oiled filters get thrown away long before the life of the truck.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With all due respect, to clean and reuse an oiled filter is not "simple". First you have to buy the cleaning kit $. Then you have to spray on the cleaner and hose it off. Then you have to let it dry. Your truck is down while it dries, the rest of the day at least. Then you spray on the new oil and install the filter. Oh, and don't forget to buy some rubber gloves and shop towels for this simple project. You have now saved the $20 bucks for a new paper filter but what a PITA. I'll bet most of these oiled filters get thrown away long before the life of the truck.

K&N filter recharge kit is $13 from my local partsource. Cleaning the filter takes less than 10 minutes, drying takes as little as an hour depending on how you're letting it dry. If you consider that a PITA than you must hate washing your truck every now and then. Admittedly my truck had the K&N when I bought it so I didn't have to pay for the filter, but after a few cleanings it's cheaper either way.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Any difference in airflow between a clean stock filter and a new drop ni oiled/dry filter will be negligible. A true cold air intake that is pulling in air from outside the engine bay, has a smooth inlet tube, and a filter with a larger surface area will make more power though.
Even the high dollar cold air kits add very little from what ive seen tested so pretty much anything is a waste of money, but that's what many do... me I'm wasting 40 bucks and saving 20 a year in not buying a new stock filter, if it adds 1mpg then it eventually pays for itself so that's a good thing.
I gave up racing long ago, so the 5.7 hemi has plenty of pep for me as it is.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some of you are forgetting the main idea behind a good filter..Its not all about the extra hp/tq or mpg..The main purpose is the filtering of the incomming air and its long term effects on engine wear..The hp/tq/mpg are side effects that are a bonus..

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of you are forgetting the main idea behind a good filter..Its not all about the extra hp/tq or mpg..The main purpose is the filtering of the incomming air and its long term effects on engine wear..The hp/tq/mpg are side effects that are a bonus..

I hope you're not trying to say that the K&N's do a better job of filtering than an OEM.Never happened,ever.On one of the forums I check out now and then one of the supporting vendors owns an auto machine shop.He thanked people for using K&N's as they help keep him busy building motors.

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&N filter recharge kit is $13 from my local partsource. Cleaning the filter takes less than 10 minutes, drying takes as little as an hour depending on how you're letting it dry. If you consider that a PITA than you must hate washing your truck every now and then. Admittedly my truck had the K&N when I bought it so I didn't have to pay for the filter, but after a few cleanings it's cheaper either way.

Nothing dries in an hour where I live :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca