Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some of you are forgetting the main idea behind a good filter..Its not all about the extra hp/tq or mpg..The main purpose is the filtering of the incomming air and its long term effects on engine wear..The hp/tq/mpg are side effects that are a bonus..

a quality paper filter works the best in that aspect.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any difference in airflow between a clean stock filter and a new drop ni oiled/dry filter will be negligible. A true cold air intake that is pulling in air from outside the engine bay, has a smooth inlet tube, and a filter with a larger surface area will make more power though.

Im using the K&N and have been rocking it for about 9-10k miles, and before i switched my intake, there was NO DUSTING evidence, i dont think K&N would sell if there was solid proof of engines being destoryed...

In regards to my quote, Hemi450hp, would this home made intake provide more benefit than stock, and would it even change much buying those $350 set

DSC_0056.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
In regards to my quote, Hemi450hp, would this home made intake provide more benefit than stock, and would it even change much buying those $350 set

View attachment 66910

That tube is a definite improvement over the stock accordion shaped intake tube. Now you just need to add a cold air scoop that pulls air from the front of the truck instead of the fender, and you will be in business.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That tube is a definite improvement over the stock accordion shaped intake tube. Now you just need to add a cold air scoop that pulls air from the front of the truck instead of the fender, and you will be in business.

There was also a giant air hat on it too, with 5 air chambers...

Any ideas on what i should use or how to route to the front of the truck? i have heard of using heater hose to the grill and move the coolant resistor to another location

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope you're not trying to say that the K&N's do a better job of filtering than an OEM.Never happened,ever.On one of the forums I check out now and then one of the supporting vendors owns an auto machine shop.He thanked people for using K&N's as they help keep him busy building motors.

Nope im not saying k&n is a better filter..Im being general when i say a better filter..I have not done any research to say who is bad or good....From my track days on a bike,k&n sucks dog ass..I know a few racers much much much better than me who had a k&n in their race bikes but went back to stock till they got something else..

The difference between a paper and something along the idea of a k&n is the filtering material..Paper is a one dimensional capture material..Filters that are a reusable style are built different with different materials..They tend to be multi dimensional filter that captures the dirt monocles from more that one surface..Think of a triangle vs a flat surface...Flat surface clogs and its time to toss,the triangle have atleast 3 sides to filter from..Basically thats why the after markets reusable are generally better..

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the AEM drop in I put in yesterday is doing good, it seemed to smooth out the acceleration a little but maybe its just me.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw a dyno on a stock 2014 Ram with just the Vararam intake. It's a forced air induction intake and added 18rwhp. That was with no extra air being forced into it so I would imagine it would be more on the highway. I felt a nice difference in the mid to high rpm range.

IMG_20150127_235553_zpsysrkn7ey.jpg

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Recon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a quality paper filter works the best in that aspect.

I agree, here is a link to what looks like factual information.

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im using the K&N and have been rocking it for about 9-10k miles, and before i switched my intake, there was NO DUSTING evidence, i dont think K&N would sell if there was solid proof of engines being destoryed...

View attachment 66910

People buy K&N's because they drank the KOOLAIDE(buy into the hype).The thing most don't realize is that most OEM filters on vehicles flow more air than they'll need anyway for the most part.

It's called snake oil yeah
it's been around for a long,long time!

Steve Earle
Copperhead Road

You want proof?Run your finger around the inside of your air intake or throttle body and see what it picks up.

Last edited:

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People buy K&N's because they drank the KOOLAIDE(buy into the hype).The thing most don't realize is that most OEM filters on vehicles flow more air than they'll need anyway for the most part.

It's called snake oil yeah
it's been around for a long,long time!

Steve Earle
Copperhead Road

You want proof?Run your finger around the inside of your air intake or throttle body and see what it picks up.

Did that, no evidence of dusting and TB has little oil dibris, I don't have a catch can! Every other oil change, I wipe it down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk