Air Lift affecting cornering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed an air lift kit on the rear... they fit inside the coil springs. As I was running the provided air lines it occurred to me that using the "T" fitting that equalizes the pressure could affect cornering. Consider this; as the truck enters a turn, the weight will push on one bag and force air to the other bag resulting in increased lean. On a right turn, the left bag will force air into the right bag.
Does this make sense to anyone else? Running indivdual air lines would eliminate this if my theory is correct.
I added them to keep the truck level when towing or hauling a load.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I can see where youre coming from with this. Ive had mine setup both ways with 800+ lbs of wood pellets in the back and noticed no difference

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You're overthinking it, this isn't water that doesn't compressible and would act the way you're thinking. What happens is the overall pressure of the system increases when a bag is compressed, both bags would increase in pressure and stiffen the springs, but the uncompressed side would not rise up and increase the spring's length.

The benefit to separate air lines is that you can level the vehicle side-side if you have an uneven load, the tee just lets you level the whole rear end.

HLram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 and 2007
Engine
Hemi 5.7 in both
Unloaded my truck actually seems to corner a little better with the bags at 10-15 psi than with them at 5 psi. Rides good but is a little stiffer kinda like an F-150. Might be my feeble mind playing tricks on me, and this is unloaded, not loaded like the OP is asking about.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
OP is totally correct. Bags should be separated with heavy loads. There was a huge discussion about this a few months ago on the forum. On my cell phone, so I am not super inclined to do a bunch of searching, sorry.

Oversimplified version is that the volume of air won't shift side to side when they are separated. This means that as you corner the pressure increases on the side being compressed resisting additional compression. This in contrast to the additional pressure equalizing by shifting some air to the less loaded side, and if not noticeably raising that side, at least allowing the heavily loaded side to squat more.