Air Noise Around Doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farmergal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi eTorque
I have had the Dodge Ram 1500 e-Torque for almost 2 years now and there has always been lots of air noise around the doors. At least, that is where it appears to be coming from. I have had it back twice and they swear they can't find anything wrong. It's loud enough once the speed increases that it is even hard to hear the other person you are talking to in the front seat. Warranty is almost up and I want to figure this out before that happens. Can anyone help with this or has anyone had the same issue? Thank you!

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Had that issue with mine, although not quite as loud.

Options for maximum chance to get the dealership to do something before your warranty expires:

1. Take it to the dealership for the issue.

2. Tell them to start a STAR Case on it (gets corporate engineering involved).

3. Start a corporate request separately (call them or contact @RamCares on this forum).

4. When they tell you it's fine take the tech for a drive to show them the issue.

5. Follow up with corporate personally to convince your case manager to side with you and not the dealership.

I will tell you that is is time consuming on your part and there's a good chance you will get your truck back with nothing done (I did this process with my poor A/C performance and got told everything's fine when all said and done).

I will also say that the answer is always no unless you ask everybody. Being close to the end of your warranty might as try one more time and throw the corporate kitchen sink at it for one last shot.

Just my .02

OP
OP
F

farmergal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi eTorque
Did they resolve the noise issue and, if so, what was wrong? IF I can get some feedback with some ideas to make them try, maybe I'll get somewhere.

I did take it to the dealership I purchased it from...twice. I'll try the corporate route next. Thanks....Karen

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If i may make a suggestion:

Go to you local Home Improvement Store, or Tractor Supply or Hardware Store
Buy a 2" roll of Blue Painters Tape

Then stretch the tape from the bottom of the front door & up to the bottom of the mirror,
take a 2nd length of tape & stretch it from that first piece of tape all the way to the top of the door.
So the space between the fender and the door & from the bottom of the "A" Pillar to the top is also sealed up.
Take a 3rd piece of tape & wrap it around the seam of the driver's door mirror.

You could do the same thing around the drivers side back door

Now take a drive, & listen for the noise
If you don't hear the noise, remove each section of tape, until you hear the noise again.

You should be able to tell where the air noise is coming from using that method.

If the noise is coming from the upper part of the door,

the first way is to buy some black foam with glue on 1 edge & lay it along the front edge of the door, in the general area where the door hinges are located, there may be some of it there already.

The second way is unconventional, Body Shops do it all the time
They use something like a short section of a 2 X 4, that is wrapped with something, then they position the wood, some where near the doors hinge area & the doors inside handle, then they give the door a gentle push.
That bends the top of the door inwards

other ways

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I have had the Dodge Ram 1500 e-Torque for almost 2 years now and there has always been lots of air noise around the doors. At least, that is where it appears to be coming from. I have had it back twice and they swear they can't find anything wrong. It's loud enough once the speed increases that it is even hard to hear the other person you are talking to in the front seat. Warranty is almost up and I want to figure this out before that happens. Can anyone help with this or has anyone had the same issue? Thank you!
I've dealt with this on other vehicles. I bought additional role of soft rubber door seal and put it along the door jam (opposite side of factory seal) to line up with the factory seal. Worked very well.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Did they resolve the noise issue and, if so, what was wrong? IF I can get some feedback with some ideas to make them try, maybe I'll get somewhere.

I did take it to the dealership I purchased it from...twice. I'll try the corporate route next. Thanks....Karen
Never resolved the issue. One of a handful of items that were never corrected.

OP
OP
F

farmergal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi eTorque
Hmmm...watched the video and can't see that being my problem after checking it over thoroughly. The extra door seal is a possibility. If it all is really a simple fix, I can't understand why the dealership can't figure it out and do the easy fix. Thanks.

Katy 1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same issue, believe it is the cheap plastic a plllar between the windows. It would start at higher speeds. The passenger side almost came off completely. I used Gorilla double sided tape to get it to stay.
Try painters tape, taping the glass and plastic on the wind flow side to see if it goes away. It pulls away just enough to get the noise at higher speeds