Air Shocks or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TonyBop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I have never driven in a truck with air shocks. Love the ride of my 2018 Longhorn (without air shocks). Just wondering if it's worth the upgrade.
Thanks as always.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I like being able to vary my ride stance. I love that it levels itself with a trailer which I pull often. I have had 2 rams with it and 2 without and for me it is worth the upcharge and I have never had a problem with the air ride.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Some people claim the ride is much improved with air suspension, but I never could really tell a difference. We have two Ram 1500's in our household. Air suspension wasn't worth it for me on my previous truck, so I opted against it on my 2020 Laramie. It was convenient to be able to lift or lower the truck occasionally, but I didn't really use it much. I put it in "normal" mode and deactivated the auto aero mode in the settings most of the time anyway. And I really never tow anything. It's a different story for our other truck, a 2020 Limited. The better half uses the entry/exit mode all the time, and she wouldn't settle for a truck without air suspension.

My advice would be to decide whether you like the convenience of entry/exit mode, and not having to use a jack for oil changes. And if you will be towing, the auto level is very nice. Then decide for yourself.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The drawback is that when one of the air bags fails you will be without both air bags until you get it replaced. I much prefer using overload springs instead like the ones from SuperSprings. But with a Ram 1500 with rear coil springs, the air bags are the only practical way to add payload capacity.

Where air bags are worth the loss of reliability is in being able to adjust the bed height for a 5th wheel trailer. Even then I would want an onboard compressor. Be sure if you do have airbags installed to use separate fill fittings for each side. If a T connection is used then they will be less effective and there will be more sway.

My first choice is SuperSprings along with Rancho adjustable shocks. Takes me less than a minute to adjust the rear shocks for a heavy load in the bed with a simple turn of the dial on the side of the shock.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Where air bags are worth the loss of reliability is in being able to adjust the bed height for a 5th wheel trailer. Even then I would want an onboard compressor. Be sure if you do have airbags installed to use separate fill fittings for each side. If a T connection is used then they will be less effective and there will be more sway.
So T-connected air bags cause sway too?? I thought it was bad tailer springs? Just maybe trailer sway is caused by poor front to rear trailer weight distribution, I'm going to say that usually the cause or an axle alignment issue. Weak or inadequate springs usually cause porpoising.
The only time dual circuit helper airbags are needed is to correct for side loading(slide in bed campers are usually good for this). I know quite a few people that have 10's of thousands of miles towing fivers and tag-a-longs with single circuit air bags without any issues.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've used Rancho air shocks and Firestone air bags in the past with great results but not sure either would be required with a good WDH for towing.......trunnion bars serve the same purpose in my mind.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My new Ram rides so smooth aire shocks are not required....if it rode any smoother...I'd fall asleep and have an accident.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ride is so nice.

Being able to raise it up for off-road/hazardous conditions/parking lots (with side steps deployed) is nice.

Being able to lower it for loading/detailing/older people getting in is nice as well.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Air is great. If I only kept my truck 5 years or less, it wouldn't even bee a question. I keep vehicle 10 years plus. As such, I'd probably not get the air ride.
ps. I absolutely love the air ride on my snowmobile, but if that air system fails it has springs too. I'd just kick up the preload a couple of notches and go.

Last edited:

rblochli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
As noted above, I didn't notice a difference in ride from my previous non-air shock ram. Nice auto leveling with a trailer or the bed full and getting older folks in. I also notice it when I lower it to load the bed. On the highway in aero mode, it may ride a little rougher if you nit a bumpy patch. Overall I like it but probably wouldn't say it is a must have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956