Air Suspension 2021

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Kelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey There want to order my new 2021 1500 Limited truck tomorrow and was wondering what everyone thinks of the Air suspension. Use to have lots of problems, wondering about 2021 model years for cold and hot climate here in Alberta. IS it worth it? Is anyone having problems on 2020's

Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

Justin Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I just ordered my Limited Longhorn with it... but I live in Texas. ... My reading of others posts on the subject boiled down to this - in extreme cold climates (such as Alberta Canada) it was recommended to NOT go with air suspension... that eventually everyone experienced failures. ... there were a few exceptions to that but i am not sure if that is because the vehicle stayed garage kept or kept in a climate controlled environment over extended periods. ... So I would say given that y'all get some pretty frigid temps.. it may suit you better to go without the air suspension.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As it would seem to me, since 2021 isn’t here yet, there’s probably only very few 2021 models on the road right now that are still brand spanking new and even for the people with the 2020s, unless they’re just doing a **** load of driving on their trucks, it’s still too early to tell how reliable those systems are because if any of those has a problem within the first, I’d say 20 or so thousand miles, that is probably not going to be a reliability issue, that’s probably gonna be just something wrong with the air suspension for that specific vehicle.

My truck is an 18; if I remember correctly, my truck was born in October 2017 so technically, my truck is just a scosh over three years old and it’s yet to have a single problem with the air suspension. As far as whether or not if there’s any difference between my truck’s suspension and a 2019 model, a current 2020 model or the new 2021 model, I have no idea but like I said, mine has been wonderful. Granted, I only live in Oklahoma where yeah, it does get cold a little bit in the winter time but it’s not like up north where it gets really really really cold. But, I do have the humidity down here so if that plays a part in it, i’ve yet to see that.

But I would suggest that if you’re able to get into that high of a trim level truck that’s got air suspension, I would highly suggest you get as long of an extended warranty as you can because the one thing I can tell you that I am pretty damn sure hasn’t changed, is the fact that if any one of those air suspension components goes out or has to be replaced, it’s not going to be a cheap repair. That compressor is expensive, I’m sure those sensors that tell the ride height probably aren’t cheap, those tanks that store your nitrogen aren’t cheap and those airbags aren’t cheap either, especially your front ones because your front ones are an air-strut.

They’re basically like your typical coil over strut but instead of having a coil spring, you’ve got an airbag and whenever it comes time to replace your front struts, I guaran-damn-tee you that the only option is going to be to replace that whole complete strut assembly with factory parts; and the last time I checked on any one of those Mopar part sites, they’re about 1500 bucks apiece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopper57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Laramie longhorn limited with air and live in canada. First off I take the power running boards off for the winter as the salt seizes them up and lower the suspension down when I park, mostly due to my short legs. No problem at all but I question the fact that there are no drains in the air tanks. I'm a truck mechanic so am very familiar with air ride suspension ,and air systems and moisture accumulates in the tanks and has to be drained every day.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 Laramie longhorn limited with air and live in canada. First off I take the power running boards off for the winter as the salt seizes them up and lower the suspension down when I park, mostly due to my short legs. No problem at all but I question the fact that there are no drains in the air tanks. I'm a truck mechanic so am very familiar with air ride suspension ,and air systems and moisture accumulates in the tanks and has to be drained every day.

It’s because these aren’t the same type of air suspension systems that you’re probably used to. These are sealed systems with a charge of nitrogen that gets reused over and over. The compressor that’s between your right rear tire and your right rear tail light is more of a transfer pump than a compressor because whatever pressure is needed to maintain preset ride height on all four corners of your suspension is basically transferred from the tanks under your bed and above your spare tire to your bags and back to the tanks when not so much pressure is needed. That’s why there is no air dryer or drain valves but there is for some reason, a purge valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I've read that the air suspension system was redesigned for the 2019 new Ram 1500's (5th gens). It's supposedly taken care of the issues people were seeing on the 4th gen air suspensions systems. And the lack of issues with the system seems to confirm this. I purposely bought a truck without air suspension because of my experience with it on my previous truck (2017 Rebel). But I'll probably get it on my next truck.

I have a question for you Chopper...how much work is involved with removing the power running boards?

Lunna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I've got the 2021 Limited 1500 diesel 4x4 with air suspension. I've noticed a couple of times shortly after remote startup that there seems to be a release of air at the right rear. Is this the purge valve as mentioned in thread? If so why is it releasing after startup? Is this a normal process or a potential problem? Appreciate any information...thank you

Chopper57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read that the air suspension system was redesigned for the 2019 new Ram 1500's (5th gens). It's supposedly taken care of the issues people were seeing on the 4th gen air suspensions systems. And the lack of issues with the system seems to confirm this. I purposely bought a truck without air suspension because of my experience with it on my previous truck (2017 Rebel). But I'll probably get it on my next truck.

I have a question for you Chopper...how much work is involved with removing the power running boards?
6 bolts per side and the plug It takes 30 min to put on and about 15 to take off

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I like that idea of taking off the running boards. I was just going to leave them stowed via the screen menu. i live in WI by Superior and it gets f..king freezing!
i had a 2017 with air suspension. went to the pub, came out a couple hours later, truck was on the stops and wouldn't raise up (contact dealer immediately was on screen) yeah right, 11pm at night, holiday time and a few bevvies. I drove home about four miles on the stops, in the snow. Like driving on brick cobbles!
AND when i got home my garage door had frozen to ground and opened part way, fell off the runners into the garage! good job i was outside in my lowered truck!
Put the door roughly in the hole went to bed!
next day, truck was absolutely fine and never a problem again.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I read a lot of stories like that when I had a 2017 Rebel and was a frequent visitor of those forums. It's one of the reasons I decided to get rid of that truck. Which is funny to me because I ended up buying another truck with air suspension :D

skigeh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got the 2021 Limited 1500 diesel 4x4 with air suspension. I've noticed a couple of times shortly after remote startup that there seems to be a release of air at the right rear. Is this the purge valve as mentioned in thread? If so why is it releasing after startup? Is this a normal process or a potential problem? Appreciate any information...thank you
My 2019 5.7 Etorque Limited will run for 2-3 mins, then purge air, rest, then restart running and purge again. This can go on 3-4 times. Ram has replaced the pump and module, several level sensors. It will still do it most of the time on startup after sitting over night. Currently have 24k miles but thank god a have the Ram maxcare warranty til 10/2028. Did you ever find a fix or is this normal.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 5.7 Etorque Limited will run for 2-3 mins, then purge air, rest, then restart running and purge again. This can go on 3-4 times. Ram has replaced the pump and module, several level sensors. It will still do it most of the time on startup after sitting over night. Currently have 24k miles but thank god a have the Ram maxcare warranty til 10/2028. Did you ever find a fix or is this normal.
That’s certainly not normal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357