AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When removing the air ride suspension you usually get a error message on the screen every time you start the ram.

Is it possible to disable this option „air ride suspension“ somewhere?

There are a couple of settings with "Air Suspension" as part of their names, one of them might do it. Where ya'all located?

-K

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
AlfaOBD has been a blast and for the most part I have been able to get through everything on my own. I’ve read a good chunk here and think I know the answer but would like some confirmation. I have a ‘15 2500 Laramie with the backup camera. I’m trying to add a button in the (I assume) apps screen to turn the camera on/off manually anytime. I think this is a ‘16 or later option?? I log into the 2015 BCM. Can I log into to 2013-2017 BCM and find that option or does it just always default to the “correct” 2015 BCM and that option isn’t avail for me? Thanks!

AZJohnnyO
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
AlfaOBD has been a blast and for the most part I have been able to get through everything on my own. I’ve read a good chunk here and think I know the answer but would like some confirmation. I have a ‘15 2500 Laramie with the backup camera. I’m trying to add a button in the (I assume) apps screen to turn the camera on/off manually anytime. I think this is a ‘16 or later option?? I log into the 2015 BCM. Can I log into to 2013-2017 BCM and find that option or does it just always default to the “correct” 2015 BCM and that option isn’t avail for me? Thanks!

AZJohnnyO
You are correct that is an option for the 2016 and newer trucks. What you can do is enable the Cargo Cam option this will bring up an icon that you can push to turn on your backup camera but it will only work if you're doing less than 15 miles per hour and it will stay on for about 5 to 10 seconds. At least that's what mine does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2017 I can turn on the tailgate reverse camera at any speed, even highway speeds. However, it will timeout and shut off automatically which I like. I tried it a few times while moving my son to college. That would be a nice feature for older trucks to add via alfaobd

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
... I have a ‘15 2500 Laramie with the backup camera. I’m trying to add a button in the (I assume) apps screen to turn the camera on/off manually anytime. I think this is a ‘16 or later option?? I log into the 2015 BCM. Can I log into to 2013-2017 BCM and find that option or does it just always default to the “correct” 2015 BCM and that option isn’t avail for me? Thanks!

AZJohnnyO

You are correct that it's a 2016 radio/BCM option and not something you can do with the AlfaOBD.

Take a look at post 911 of the diy OEM Backup Camera thread...

Post 911 . - How to modify Lin Bus CBC3 signal to enable anytime viewing of OEM Rear Camera AND keep Active Grid Lines.

I'd start by disconnecting/removing the Lin Bus CBC3 wire at the i550 tailgate connector to see if it forces the camera to power up (wherever the ignition is on) and output video before doing the relay mod).

Chances are the 13-15 radios won't allow the on screen backup camera button at a all? or maybe only on SW version 17.11.x with the cargo cam active in the BCM (you may need a 17 radio or an aftermarket module from PAC, crux, etc

Also see Post 10. of the camera thread for other useful links.

M² Mods.

jordanlbrt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 mega cab
Engine

AZJohnnyO
Could you tell me where in the bcm category you find that option to enable. I have a '13 2500, and I'd like to enable it and have what minimal function it gives you. :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fremen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Located in Ontario, I ordered from scantool, but found by the time I paid for FedEx shipping (and more specifically, FedEx customs clearance) it would have been cheaper to order from Amazon.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

In Ontario as well.

Bought mine from petreldata.com .

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2017 I can turn on the tailgate reverse camera at any speed, even highway speeds. However, it will timeout and shut off automatically which I like. I tried it a few times while moving my son to college. That would be a nice feature for older trucks to add via alfaobd
Yes you can do so on the 16 and up trucks and turn on the backup/trailer hitch camera at any speed but not the earlier years. On the 13 to 15 trucks you cannot get an icon on the screen for backup/trailer hitch camera only because this option is not even in the BCM to enable but if you push the cargo cam icon it will bring up the cargo cam screen and then you can select the backup camera from there. That being said on the 15 down trucks the backup camera will only work if your going around 15 mph or less. If you are over that speed it will display a blue screen only.

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You are correct that is an option for the 2016 and newer trucks. What you can do is enable the Cargo Cam option this will bring up an icon that you can push to turn on your backup camera but it will only work if you're doing less than 15 miles per hour and it will stay on for about 5 to 10 seconds. At least that's what mine does.

Thank you! I will "enable" the CHMSL camera option and give it a try. It's not perfect but beggars can't be choosers!! :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely going to try this on mine when I get home from work

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can do so on the 16 and up trucks and turn on the backup/trailer hitch camera at any speed but not the earlier years. On the 13 to 15 trucks you cannot get an icon on the screen for backup/trailer hitch camera only because this option is not even in the BCM to enable but if you push the cargo cam icon it will bring up the cargo cam screen and then you can select the backup camera from there. That being said on the 15 down trucks the backup camera will only work if your going around 15 mph or less. If you are over that speed it will display a blue screen only.

I love my 17 more each day

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well, the cargo Cam (CHMSL) trick works pretty good...except...now the camera won't come on in reverse. You have to manually turn it on to see in "R". It goes off fine when leaving "R" but it will not turn on. Guess it's going back to normal unless there is a fix for that?
16as02r.jpg
1129wyg.jpg

rgardjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Well, the cargo Cam (CHMSL) trick works pretty good...except...now the camera won't come on in reverse. You have to manually turn it on to see in "R". It goes off fine when leaving "R" but it will not turn on. Guess it's going back to normal unless there is a fix for that?

I just added the CHMSL to mine last night and the tailgate camera still comes on in reverse. What radio and firmware version do you have? I have read that if I update my radios firmware I will lose the dual camera.

John Owen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I just added the CHMSL to mine last night and the tailgate camera still comes on in reverse. What radio and firmware version do you have? I have read that if I update my radios firmware I will lose the dual camera.

Well, that might be the issue. I have the 8.4 and it is fully updated. Software version 17.43.01. I did change the setting back and it works in reverse now…<relief> !!

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Well, that might be the issue. I have the 8.4 and it is fully updated. Software version 17.43.01. I did change the setting back and it works in reverse now…<relief> !!

If your radio is factory, that is probably the issue. I believe it was the '15 and older radios that move the rear camera to the rear view mirror when you also have a cargo camera (requiring, of course, the mirror with the screen built in).

-K

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah damn oh well, guess I won't be doing this....
If you are currently running the 17.11.07 firmware it will work in the 13 to 15 radios. Or if you have a 2016 or newer radio in any 13 and and up Ram it will work. When Chrysler came out with the 17.11.07 Firmware it had a glitch that programmed the backup camera and the cargo camera to both be displayed on the screen like it is in the 16 and up trucks. They corrected it in the next firmware update which was 17.43.01 So if you update the 13 to 15 radios to to the 17.43.01 firmware it will stop working. If you have a 2016 or 2017 radio and you updated to the 17.43.01 firmware it will still function the same no matter what year truck it's in. Hope I explained this right and it makes sense.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are currently running the 17.11.07 firmware it will work in the 13 to 15 radios. Or if you have a 2016 or newer radio in any 13 and and up Ram it will work. When Chrysler came out with the 17.11.07 Firmware it had a glitch that programmed the backup camera and the cargo camera to both be displayed on the screen like it is in the 16 and up trucks. They corrected it in the next firmware update which was 17.43.01 So if you update the 13 to 15 radios to to the 17.43.01 firmware it will stop working. If you have a 2016 or 2017 radio and you updated to the 17.43.01 firmware it will still function the same no matter what year truck it's in. Hope I explained this right and it makes sense.

Lol well that sucks I updated mine to 17.43.01. Thanks for the info on that.

rmoyer72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only issue with this is that you wont get any light out errors if any of the tail lights are out.

rmoyer72, do you have resistors on the tail lights? Which lights did you swap to?

I found that when you set lights as LED you need to remove the resistors. So if the lights have built in resistors you shouldn't have to swap to the LED setting.

Ok, so I switched everything back to non LED still throwing the error. I tried it with out the resister and it back to LED and still got the error. Now to change the DCT, I don’t see just one for the rear. I see one for stop and one for parking. I tried both and was still getting the message. Am I missing something some were? Sorry to be a pain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicholas17smith