AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I noticed on the most recent revision, the is a setting in the MY 2018 POWERNET for a bed light button

CBC I/O - bed light switch input present

Wonder if I could add a bed light button to my 2017 with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Should be able to

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
well got new tablet to change milage on my 7' evic and still no go.old tablet changed idel hours and drive.notice with new tabled the when ya turn key off says keep off for 30 sec witch is weird.i dont know what else to do cause its driving me nuts.think the windows versen would work

I won't lie this is the most frustrating update to do. I have tried 2 tablets and a laptop to do this and had no luck with either version. Like you, I can update the hours with no problem, but the mileage won't budge.

I sent Alexey a debug report after my last attempt and he said there were no issues that he could see. He then recommended that I try using the OBDLink SX which allows for USB connectivity. Apparently it will allow for a faster transfer of information from the laptop to the truck and back. I haven't ordered it and am still trying things with what I have already purchased, but the SX is much cheaper than the MX that I bought so that is kind of a plus.

Hope you get it to work.

dracman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 black out edition
Engine
hemi 5.7
I won't lie this is the most frustrating update to do. I have tried 2 tablets and a laptop to do this and had no luck with either version. Like you, I can update the hours with no problem, but the mileage won't budge.

I sent Alexey a debug report after my last attempt and he said there were no issues that he could see. He then recommended that I try using the OBDLink SX which allows for USB connectivity. Apparently it will allow for a faster transfer of information from the laptop to the truck and back. I haven't ordered it and am still trying things with what I have already purchased, but the SX is much cheaper than the MX that I bought so that is kind of a plus.

Hope you get it to work.
ya i try almost every day.its driving me nuts.where ya from halifax? im in sackville

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The lasfit are a little pricey but with park/turn set to led with alfaobd, no resistors. I don't have any issues. Only complaint is I wish the white led's were a little brighter during the day. But the orange turns are super bright

Did you also do the 7" premium cluster upgrade?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Did you also do the 7" premium cluster upgrade?

Yes. I have a 2017 7" cluster in my 18. I did the cluster swap after installing the switchbacks. Got alfaobd shortly after installing the cluster.

lilfoot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I just completed the 7" premium cluster upgrade today. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SXT and I completed the 8.4 Uconnect 2 weeks ago.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (small tablet) with the OBDLink MX - I installed the unit yesterday and got the hours to update but got an error from AlfaOBD. But when I tried the odometer it did not seem to work. I entered my 32541.3 kilometers but the cluster showed 45664.0 kilometers - I did not actually look at the odometer reading of the old unit but had a picture that appears to show 45000 kilometers (I had to zoom in on the picture but am pretty sure that is what it showed) so kept assumed it did not work.

I did a factory reset on my tablet - upgrade the firmware on the ODBLink MX and reinstalled AlfaOBD and tried a few more times but still could not get rid of the 45664 reading.

On my final attempt I decided to change it to 10000 K just to test and see if it would work - but to my surprise it showed 16093.9K instead.

On a hunch I converted my odometer reading to miles, re-entered that with AlfoOBD and I ended up with 32540.8 (0.5 out but close enough for me).

Needless to say there were a few swear words uttered when I stumbled onto this. I sent a email to Alexey to see if I missed something in the settings that it assumed I was entering miles not kilometers when correcting the odometer :(

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get my factory trailer brake to show up in the new cluster???

POST UPDATE @ 7:45 March 31

Just looking backwards and found a post on page 1078 that showed my missing setting - now have the ITB showing up on the premium cluster :)

Last edited:

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes. I have a 2017 7" cluster in my 18. I did the cluster swap after installing the switchbacks. Got alfaobd shortly after installing the cluster.

Are these the lasfit switchbacks you're running?

s-l400.jpg

NovaScotia Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just completed the 7" premium cluster upgrade today. I have a 2017 Ram 1500 SXT and I completed the 8.4 Uconnect 2 weeks ago.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite (small tablet) with the OBDLink MX - I installed the unit yesterday and got the hours to update but got an error from AlfaOBD. But when I tried the odometer it did not seem to work. I entered my 32541.3 kilometers but the cluster showed 45664.0 kilometers - I did not actually look at the odometer reading of the old unit but had a picture that appears to show 45000 kilometers (I had to zoom in on the picture but am pretty sure that is what it showed) so kept assumed it did not work.

I did a factory reset on my tablet - upgrade the firmware on the ODBLink MX and reinstalled AlfaOBD and tried a few more times but still could not get rid of the 45664 reading.

On my final attempt I decided to change it to 10000 K just to test and see if it would work - but to my surprise it showed 16093.9K instead.

On a hunch I converted my odometer reading to miles, re-entered that with AlfoOBD and I ended up with 32540.8 (0.5 out but close enough for me).

Needless to say there were a few swear words uttered when I stumbled onto this. I sent a email to Alexey to see if I missed something in the settings that it assumed I was entering miles not kilometers when correcting the odometer :(

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get my factory trailer brake to show up in the new cluster???

POST UPDATE @ 7:45 March 31

Just looking backwards and found a post on page 1078 that showed my missing setting - now have the ITB showing up on the premium cluster :)

Jealous that you got the cluster to update your mileage.

Nicely done.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Chris Hoffman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Details or it didn't happen...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Added the factory bed lights and switch over a year ago but there was nothing in AlfaOBD to activate the switch besides going to dealer, which wasn’t happening!! With the latest update Alexi added 2018-2020 which included bed switch activation.5c73afcd7a266d3f7bef6c39dce04ebf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Now the question is, can us 2017-ers add the switch too? I know the bed doesnt have the cutout from the factory, though.

IDK maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in. For some reason when I activated the switch today the app kept putting my truck as a 2019 when it’s an 2018!!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Now the question is, can us 2017-ers add the switch too? I know the bed doesnt have the cutout from the factory, though.

IDK maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can chime in. For some reason when I activated the switch today the app kept putting my truck as a 2019 when it’s an 2018!!

I would think so. @SRich2015, is the factory bed switch a momentary switch or a latching rocker type switch? I have some of each laying around, so I can pin one into pin 26 on the C6 BCM connector and enable the setting for my 2017 and see if it works.

SRich2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would think so. @SRich2015, is the factory bed switch a momentary switch or a latching rocker type switch? I have some of each laying around, so I can pin one into pin 26 on the C6 BCM connector and enable the setting for my 2017 and see if it works.

It’s not a rocker so I would guess a momentary!!

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TX3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7CTD
Finally got everything set up to use Alfa. Thanks everyone that posted in this thread. Finally got my ABS light off from the G56 swap! Now to get my pin and make few other changes! The app and MX has already paid for itself with just that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37