AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It will for most things...I used it for a while in my truck.

But when you need to connect to certain modules (when in Alfa, its the modules that have the wiring harness icon next to them), you'll need a wiring adapter to make the BAFX work, or you get the OBD MX and it works automatically by internally switching what pins of the OBDII connector it connects to.

If you have no need to connect to those other modules, the BAFX should be fine.

big daddys house

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OBDLink MX+ OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner for iPhone, Android, and Windows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JFRFJG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1QeaFbQJAE42H

How you guys change anything if this gizmo says “no bi-directional” support? Do I need a security bypass wire?

2019 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesman 5.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like @crash68 mentioned, yes you will need to bypass harness.
This may also help with answering a lot of repeated questions we get in this forum.
Have fun modding brother!

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It will for most things...I used it for a while in my truck.

But when you need to connect to certain modules (when in Alfa, its the modules that have the wiring harness icon next to them), you'll need a wiring adapter to make the BAFX work, or you get the OBD MX and it works automatically by internally switching what pins of the OBDII connector it connects to.

If you have no need to connect to those other modules, the BAFX should be fine.

Okay! Thanks! I had the BAFX on hand, so that's what I've been using to add LED's and read fault codes. But nothing more.

Thanks!!

SR71RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, pretty sure I was sent an RA3 instead of an RA4. Thanks everyone! It gives me the option to activate navigation, which of course it should already be activated. I also have no HD radio. Does anyone know if there is something that distinguishes an RA3 vs and RA4 in the model / part / serial number?

If you do not have an HD radio button you got an RA3. You can still activate NAV “relatively cheaply” through an ebay vendor. I chose that route because I had my RA3 already set up and SXM transferred over to the new radio.
Also YELP somewhat works too. Used it to find info on a restaurant while camping last year just to see if it could work. It did.

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can some one help me with my setup of the security bypass module for the 2018 ram 1500. This is my setup. The bypass security module has two plugs. Which goes where or do I only need to use one plug?

thanks

05B1FC7B-9AA5-4CCA-915B-DE713BC97905.jpeg

gapi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Well, (on the charger) I tried every NAV lockout related setting I could find and hit the security wall. Its a 2013 R/T and I'm hoping the security system is the same as with the trucks and can be defeated.
We used a OBDLing MX+ interface.

motion_lockout_security.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, pretty sure I was sent an RA3 instead of an RA4. Thanks everyone! It gives me the option to activate navigation, which of course it should already be activated. I also have no HD radio. Does anyone know if there is something that distinguishes an RA3 vs and RA4 in the model / part / serial number?
Is there a label on the back of the unit? It will say vp3 or vp4.

Vp3=ra3 vp4=ra4

Otherwise you can check the system information screen for the hardware part number and post it here, we can cross reference from that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Crew Cab
Engine
Can some one help me with my setup of the security bypass module for the 2018 ram 1500. This is my setup. The bypass security module has two plugs. Which goes where or do I only need to use one plug?

thanks

View attachment 214194

You will need both plugs. There are two Block into which the wire will plug. The plugs are different, so you cannot plug the wires into the wrong Block.
I had to really search around to find the second Block on my 2019 Classic (it was facing forward and not readily visible).

Hope this helps.

RodeoGeorge

Dwight James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You will need both plugs. There are two Block into which the wire will plug. The plugs are different, so you cannot plug the wires into the wrong Block.
I had to really search around to find the second Block on my 2019 Classic (it was facing forward and not readily visible).

Hope this helps.

RodeoGeorge

Ok thank you.. will they both be on the front side by side or on the back?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
My 18 ram1500 ...
See the green block and the white block.8fad4a84e449a0cb0216157d8fe5d512.jpg

M² Mods.

SR71RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you!

Is there a label on the back of the unit? It will say vp3 or vp4.

Vp3=ra3 vp4=ra4

Otherwise you can check the system information screen for the hardware part number and post it here, we can cross reference from that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello
Is this thing on????

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have any info on how to change the splash screen?

It’s been a while but you can change the splash screen with Alpha. I did it when I switched to the 8.4. There are several to chose from.

RLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have any info on how to change the splash screen?

Found it.

EVIC Splash Screen (for Limited logo): (2015 to present trucks)
Vehicle Configuration 1: Special Package Select "Limited"
Vehicle Configuration 2: Special Package Select "Limited"

I selected Ram 1500 rather than limited.
Just remember proceed with caution.

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
Can you add new wallpapers to the 8.4 radios?