AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did some more research after attempting to reach out to deereguy and mpgrim about the kaodtech bypass harness. This looks to be extremely similar with an additional obd port. Bypasses both canbus like the kaodtech. I have ordered it and will report back if it works.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_obd_t_long/
Thanks for the link.
I found this one, seems to be the same as the kaodtech: https://www.bodengineering.com/products/security-gate-bypass-cable-2-0

RamYourDaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the link.
I found this one, seems to be the same as the kaodtech: https://www.bodengineering.com/products/security-gate-bypass-cable-2-0
@DrTron This looks to be much better quality than the one I linked. Thanks for finding this. Can anyone chime in on if this will work for a 1500 as well? I’ve seen reviews that even the kaodtech worked for both even though it wasn’t advertised as such. @Mpgrimm2 I appreciate the reply and look forward to hearing back from you.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I couldn't reach Deereguy today..?

The difference between 1500 vs 2500 vs each year is in the 2 pigtails that go to the CAN-C and CAN-IHS terminal blocks under the dash... The connectors aren't consistent and have to be selected based on year & model.

Some years, they made the connectors the same allowing you to plug the CAN-C wiring into the CAN-IHS terminal & really screw things up if you're not paying attention.

RamYourDaughter

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic
Engine
5.7 hemi
I couldn't reach Deereguy today..?

The difference between 1500 vs 2500 vs each year is in the 2 pigtails that go to the CAN-C and CAN-IHS terminal blocks under the dash... The connectors aren't consistent and have to be selected based on year & model.

Some years, they made the connectors the same allowing you to plug the CAN-C wiring into the CAN-IHS terminal & really screw things up if you're not paying attention.
This is great info! In the link below can you tell me which connector is which? And which connector plugs into which color block ( the green or white one) . I’m working on a 2018 ram 3500 diesel as well as a 2020 ram 1500 classic. When I looked under the dash they appeared to have identical blocks at first glance. Any further info would be a great help. This is the adapter I purchased .
https://www.bodengineering.com/products/security-gate-bypass-cable-2-0

DrTron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks, I, too, got an e-mail yesterday about that. Ordered one.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi folks...quick question: for some reason I can't get my AlfaOBD (Android) to connect to my ELM327 or my new OBDLinkMX+. Both adapters will connect to OBDLink and TorquePro, but AlfaOBD can't find either bluetooth adapter. I have AlfaOBD configured for the OBDLinkMX+ interface currently, but when I hit the Bluetooth symbol in AlfaOBD, it doesn't see the OBDLinkMX+ in a scan. Same thing happens if I switch to my old ELM327 (which worked before). Any thoughts?

The last time I used AlfaOBD (I have the full version) was a few years ago to program my FOBIK keys. It worked fine then with my ELM327.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Hi folks...quick question: for some reason I can't get my AlfaOBD (Android) to connect to my ELM327 or my new OBDLinkMX+. Both adapters will connect to OBDLink and TorquePro, but AlfaOBD can't find either bluetooth adapter. I have AlfaOBD configured for the OBDLinkMX+ interface currently, but when I hit the Bluetooth symbol in AlfaOBD, it doesn't see the OBDLinkMX+ in a scan. Same thing happens if I switch to my old ELM327 (which worked before). Any thoughts?

The last time I used AlfaOBD (I have the full version) was a few years ago to program my FOBIK keys. It worked fine then with my ELM327.
It might be a port id or loading issue with your operating system?
if you haven’t used it in a while doesn’t ALFAOBD auto update?

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

are you using the windows os version? if so, it's not bluetooth. it's com port.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It might be a port id or loading issue with your operating system?
if you haven’t used it in a while doesn’t ALFAOBD auto update?
It's Android.....never had a problem before. Guess I'll just uninstall it and reinstall it...see if that works. It worked fine a few years ago.....but it's definitely an AlfaOBD issue, since my other apps (OBDLink and TorquePro) work just fine with either adapter.

Edit: ok, reinstall didn't work. I now can see the OBDLink MX in a scan by AlfaOBD, but it still won't pair. And for some reason, AlfaOBD thinks it is paired to my Fitbit Sense watch.....but there is no "unpair" function. Any idea how to unpair with AlfaOBD? (edit...I just told my phone to "forget" the watch....that removed it from AlfaOBD). This is so bizarre.....AlfaOBD worked fine previously. Bluetooth on my phone works with everything else.

Last edited:

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
It's Android.....never had a problem before. Guess I'll just uninstall it and reinstall it...see if that works. It worked fine a few years ago.....but it's definitely an AlfaOBD issue, since my other apps (OBDLink and TorquePro) work just fine with either adapter.

Edit: ok, reinstall didn't work. I now can see the OBDLink MX in a scan by AlfaOBD, but it still won't pair. And for some reason, AlfaOBD thinks it is paired to my Fitbit Sense watch.....but there is no "unpair" function. Any idea how to unpair with AlfaOBD? This is so bizarre.....AlfaOBD worked fine previously. Bluetooth on my phone works with everything else.
Sometimes bluetooth won’t unpair from a device unless it’s removed or turned off.

the ELM327 has clones and lost support in June of this year 2022,

AlfaOBD is uploaded off the website but internet explorer has been retired is there any issues with microsoft edge in compatibility? how old is your Android?

Last edited:

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just got this mod this past few days and ran it first time today to set tire size. All in all pretty painless what's the popular adjustments people are doing?

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

I just replaced my phone and here's what I had to do....

Under Android phone BT settings.. delete any previous device pairings for the adapter.

Then on the OBDLink MX BT adapter press the BT pairing button, then the BT 'Scan' button on phones BT settings menu.

Once it's paired with the phone, then you should be able to find it/connect in AlfaOBD

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you using the windows os version? if so, it's not bluetooth. it's com port.
It's bluetooth on my windows version.

Just did the ABS bleed procedure yesterday.

Question on the ABS bleed procedure though, it only asked me to crack the RF (first), then RR bleeders. Then said complete.
I am assuming that during the procedure it tests for air and only bleeds the wheels needed???

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes bluetooth won’t unpair from a device unless it’s removed or turned off.

the ELM327 has clones and lost support in June of this year 2022,

AlfaOBD is uploaded off the website but internet explorer has been retired is there any issues with microsoft edge in compatibility? how old is your Android?
Pixel 3 running Android 12.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just replaced my phone and here's what I had to do....

Under Android phone BT settings.. delete any previous device pairings for the adapter.

Then on the OBDLink MX BT adapter press the BT pairing button, then the BT 'Scan' button on phones BT settings menu.

Once it's paired with the phone, then you should be able to find it/connect in AlfaOBD
Yeah, I've tried that. "Forget" the adapter in BT settings, then set the MX in pairing mode, then paired. And then yes, AlfaOBD sees it....I select it......and nothing. AlfaOBD just says "please wait for bluetooth pairing request and confirm pairing"......and that message stays stuck. No pairing request shows up. But a pairing request did show up when I paired the MX with the phone, so I know the pairing message does work. Very strange. I can then go back to OBDLink or TorquePro and both of those work immediately.

Edit: I'm emailing with Alexy (AlfaOBD)....he's baffled also. We'll see.

Last edited: