Alignment... Caster Issues after Bilstein 5100 Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RamOutdoorsman12
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let's see how long the Mevotechs last me , then I'll get to shop for some new UCAs. Looking to upgrade tires next, maybe some 285/75/17

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alignment completed this morning. Caster set to 3.7+ LEFT and 3.8+ RIGHT. No issues with drivability.

To anyone who may come across this thread, my Mevotech UCAs are from 2017. The only way to tell one side from the other are the casting marks on the control arm. The right front CMS251058 (Pass. Side) control arm will have casting marks on top. The left front CMS251057 (driver's side) control arm has the casting marks on the bottom.

Thank you to the forum for helping me getting this resolved.
Did you end up flipping them side to side ?
I asked my alignment shop to put my caster on 4.5* driver 5.0* passenger.

This is how my Zones look like for example, the BJ should face the rear of the truck per Zone instructions.

Driver side
48755654728_5a71ca8826_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Passenger side
48755972576_d651cecae5_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

OP
OP
RamOutdoorsman12
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you end up flipping them side to side ?
I asked my alignment shop to put my caster on 4.5* driver 5.0* passenger.

This is how my Zones look like for example, the BJ should face the rear of the truck per Zone instructions.

Driver side
48755654728_5a71ca8826_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Passenger side
48755972576_d651cecae5_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Yes i flipped them and that solved my problem. I'll post a pic of the difference in ball joints but having the control arms swapped caused the BJs to angle towards the front of the vehicle which gave me a smaller caster angle. I got away with it a stock height but after the 5100s went in it decreased available adjustment. My mevotech UCAs had no markings identifying which side. I should have looked up the part numbers and matched up the angles and markings with the available photos but it was a learning experience.

20190917_075644.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes i flipped them and that solved my problem. I'll post a pic of the difference in ball joints but having the control arms swapped caused the BJs to angle towards the front of the vehicle which gave me a smaller caster angle. I got away with it a stock height but after the 5100s went in it decreased available adjustment. My mevotech UCAs had no markings identifying which side. I should have looked up the part numbers and matched up the angles and markings with the available photos but it was a learning experience.

View attachment 180657
Excellent picture showing up the difference, Thanks a lot. Easiest way to see how the offset can help caster and camber and why the offset should face the back of the truck. You're the man dude :)

mwalsh58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys, new to this forum but I have done a ton of searching on this topic. I have a 2012 Ram 1500, Outdoorsman (comes from Canada).

I'm posting in the lifted section because I have been told that my issue is common among trucks that are lifted higher than just using Bils.

Over the weekend, I installed new lower control arms from Detroit Axle, New Tie Rod Ends, and Bilstein 5100 set at 2.1. The rear of the truck is stock. Upper control arms are Mevotech, recently done this year. Lower control arms and struts were not tightened until vehicle was set down.

Today I brought the truck to a popular chain for an alignment where I have lifetime alignment. After about 2 hours, the tech came up to me and said that he was able to set toe and camber within spec but could not get the caster where it needed to be. I had about 0.8+ on one side and 1.3+ on the other. They showed me this on a printout. The tech told me that every time he would get the caster close the camber would be thrown off. I left and I drove the truck and it felt okay and drove straight but it felt a little light up front and i had virtually no steering wheel return after turning.

I found a very highly rated truck alignment shop in my area that has been in business for a long time. I made an appointment and went. They told me when they got the truck on their rack, I had negative caster on one side and 0.2+ on the other. They told me the previous place's computer may have been off but their computer is new and accurate. They were able to get the caster to match just under 1+ degree on both sides giving me a positive caster but still way out of spec as spec is between 3 and 4 degrees. He told me that it was completely maxed out. He did mention that he could not increase caster without the camber being thrown off . The shop said that this is common on trucks that have lifts/ leveling kits as the higher you go the more you lose in caster adjustment. The truck actually feels better after leaving this second shop it does not feel as "floaty" but I still have almost no steering wheel return after completing a turn.

I know a lot of guys run the Bils at 2.1 which is nothing serious by a long shot. I was told my only option is to get upper control arms made for a lift which will allow for more adjustment ( I would need this explained as how it will help).

Also, besides the way the truck feels (which I can get used to) are there any other potential issues that I may run in to by just leaving the truck alone the way it is.

Thank you to anyone in advance
i have a 2013 1500 6" procomp with 37 x 12.50x20 truck has adjustable ball joints from moog goes straight 5100s turned all the way up

Ulises1775

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tires are 265 /70/17 BFG. Here are pics of the UCAs. I don't see any L or R markings anywhere just some cast marks. One side has them on top one side doesn't.

I think this may be the issue because looking at the photos the BJs appear to be more forward on the UCAs and flipping them would put them more backwards on the UCAs increasing caster.

I think...

View attachment 180391

View attachment 180392

So in this picture are they set correctly or incorrectly? I just had Zone UCAs installed along with Bilstein 6112s today.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The upper ball joint favors the rear which is how the lower ( DRIVERS SIDE ) picture looks. Look at the upper BJ in relation to the 3 nuts at the top of the strut. No need to be labeled you can see the difference by eye just holding in your hand

Last edited:

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah for the OP, I saw your pic and right away knew they were installed backwards. I have the same uppers on my rig. There is a little screw type hole that faces the front of the truck. Should be of the outside of the front of the arm on the Mevotechs.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Let's see how long the Mevotechs last me , then I'll get to shop for some new UCAs.

Had mine for 5 years now in Canadian weather. I did have to replace the ball joint boots a couple weeks back since they cracked. , I also painted them before installing from reading on here about them rusting quickly.

Salty Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in this picture are they set correctly or incorrectly? I just had Zone UCAs installed along with Bilstein 6112s today.

What do your look like after the install? Would also like to know how you like the 6612s.