Alignment shop says pulls to left under acceleration,bilstein level issue,Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your front fenders are at 38.5", so your height is typical of a 2.1" truck. And that height dictates your CV angle. Lots of us are running 2.8" with no issues, so steeper angles than you. With stock tires I was over 39".

If it were my truck, I'd be looking at the CV axles and hub bearings. Sounds like something is worn and in need of replacement. How many miles on the truck?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your front fenders are at 38.5", so your height is typical of a 2.1" truck. And that height dictates your CV angle. Lots of us are running 2.8" with no issues, so steeper angles than you. With stock tires I was over 39".

If it were my truck, I'd be looking at the CV axles and hub bearings. Sounds like something is worn and in need of replacement. How many miles on the truck?

Only 55,000 miles. No bearing noise and I didn't notice anything worn when I inspected everything while it was apart and neither did the alignment shop. But I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb again and see if anything somehow was missed

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Maybe a bit dumb but are you sure you put the collars on the Bilsteins on correctly? They should cover the retaining ring, not sit on top of it.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes everything is installed correctly. Just got done looking truck over again really well and it appears both front axle shaft may be worn. on each shaft you can grab them and slide them in and out about an 1/8" or so with an audible "clunk" (back and forth from differential and wheel). If you grab and twist them there isn't any play, but if you grab them and push and pull and yank them up and down there is definitely some play. As much as 1/4"!. Not much on the outer cv's (wheel side) but definitely on the I need. Some play from the cv spline where the couplers connect to the differential and some play up and down on the actual joint of the cv's (pre differential coupler). So I am thinking it needs a new set of front axles. And the play I seen looks like it would coincide with the wobble I am feeling, as if under torque load the joints tip and become out of Roland and throw the balance off.

Hope you guys can follow what I am saying, sound like the issue to you guys also?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And here is a video I took of the CV axle play. I only took video of the one side but both axles are doing the same thing.

Only thing I can think of is either when we were installing the bilstein struts and tipped the spindle out of the way it pulled on the axles and separated the CV joins and maybe some of the internal balls dropped out and maybe landed inside the rubber grease boot?. OR they were both just worn to begin with and by adding the lift and putting a new angle on the front axles it brought out the axles flaws and made them more apparent.

Either way I think it is safe to say the axles shafts are both worn and need replaced. Watch the video and let me know if you guys agree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0u3LfDAjVk

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slip in some new axles and quit runnin around in 4WD on pavement, or,,, just quit running around in 4wd on the pavement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slip in some new axles and quit runnin around in 4WD on pavement, or,,, just quit running around in 4wd on the pavement.

Again.....I do NOT normally do it. I did it to test. And yes, axles are in the future. I have only had the truck for 2 months. These were not worn out by my 2 minute long 4x4 test drive. lol

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pretty sure even a new truck will 'bind' when turning in 4WD on pavement, so unclear if that aspect of your test is conclusive.

Also pretty sure the manufacturer doesn't recommend 'high' speed in 4WD on pavement either, but hey, it's your truck. :)

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty sure even a new truck will 'bind' when turning in 4WD on pavement, so unclear if that aspect of your test is conclusive.

Also pretty sure the manufacturer doesn't recommend 'high' speed in 4WD on pavement either, but hey, it's your truck. :)

Yes I am aware what "normal" 4x4 bind feels like,This was nothing like that. As I mentioned before I test drove it before the leveling kit to get a baseline of how everything felt and then again after the leveling kit to compare the two. Factory it drove just like driving in 2 wheel.Post level it drove like a 5 year old jacked up on energy drinks bouncing off the walls and well on the way to a debilitating crash HAHA.

Regardless, I think I may have found the solution to the issue that developed post level that I originally posted the thread about. But thanks for the concern.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
4wd on dry pavement and getting up to 45mph isn't any test I'm willing to do.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saw the vid, looks like you found what's causing the problem.

Thanks for checking it out. Yeah, when we checked the cv's for play it was before install and was up on jack stands and everything must have been under tension. So I thought it all checked out. This time I check it on the ground and it stood right out.

I've been researching parts and it looks like both sides share the same axle shaft part number. I also see a stub shaft is offered. Does anyone know how common of a failure the stub shafts are on these trucks?. I know on some vehicles they are known for seizing to the front axle shafts. Just wondering if there are similar common problems with the Rams?.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I am unable to view you video (work), however back when the 4th gens first came out we had a problem when using leveling kits where the front drive shaft would shake under acceleration in 4 wheel drive.
My 09 was the first my dealer had seen with the problem so they worked it under warranty. What they discovered was the change in drive shaft angle was enough to throw the balance of the drive shaft off.
So if all else fails mark the original position of your drive shaft remove and reinstall 180 degrees opposite the original position, test drive. It is a easy enough test to preform and it fixed my truck.
I had installed a daystar 2.5" front leveling kit.

Can't guarantee this is your problem, but it has happened before.

Good luck.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hell, I put mine in 4WD in November and rarely take it out until April... no issues. dry/wet/icy/slushy/dirty/snowy - highway/city/back roads driving

Is it too hard to turn the button when it's dry out?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am unable to view you video (work), however back when the 4th gens first came out we had a problem when using leveling kits where the front drive shaft would shake under acceleration in 4 wheel drive.
My 09 was the first my dealer had seen with the problem so they worked it under warranty. What they discovered was the change in drive shaft angle was enough to throw the balance of the drive shaft off.
So if all else fails mark the original position of your drive shaft remove and reinstall 180 degrees opposite the original position, test drive. It is a easy enough test to preform and it fixed my truck.
I had installed a daystar 2.5" front leveling kit.

Can't guarantee this is your problem, but it has happened before.

Good luck.

Now that you mention it I do recall seeing somewhere something about rotating the front drive shaft. Although I am fairly certain the problem is in the front axle. But thanks for the info and if I still have the problem after an axle swap I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad to see you have your problem solved(hopefully). Let me know
Jay