Alignment shop says pulls to left under acceleration,bilstein level issue,Help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011 ram 1500 sport 4x4. Ok so a few days ago I installed bilstein 5100's on the front of my truck. only set them to 2.1".

Truck drove great in 2 wheels. drove straight,no vibrations, road smooth, no noises.

But in 4x4 there was a BAD front end wobble under acceleration and it felt like the c/v's were binding up if you tried to turn the wheel. Prior to the leveling kit there were no driveability issues in 2 wheel or in 4 wheel.

So I dropped the truck off at the alignment shop yesterday and they were booked and were not able to get to it until today. I called to ask if the truck was done and they said that they did get the alignment done and that everything "aligned into the green". But when they test drove it, Under acceleration it wants to pull to the left (they didnt mention if they test drove in 4x4....and I doubt they did) So I am assuming this is happening in 2 wheel.

They then asked if I did anything to the rear end such as lift blocks or anything and I told them no and that it was only the 2.1" leveling struts in front. And I told them it has never had any pulling issues....not pre level kit and not even post leveling.

they said they were going to put it back up in the air and see if they can figure out what is going on and try and get the truck back to me by the end of the day.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?.

All info is appreciated, thanks

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My truck pulls to the left with bilsteins and a lift, heard its normal.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Strange, that's the first I am hearing of it. Sounds like something is not right to me.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck.has the Bilsteins set at 2.1 and I have the 392 with the Anti-Spin(Posi) differential and my truck doesn't pull to either side under acceleration at all . It drives better than it did with the stock shocks. Not sure what's going in with your truck seems kinda strange to me. Are you familiar with the shop doing the alignment? Seems like they have kinda been giving you the run around.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck.has the Bilsteins set at 2.1 and I have the 392 with the Anti-Spin(Posi) differential and my truck doesn't pull to either side under acceleration at all . It drives better than it did with the stock shocks. Not sure what's going in with your truck seems kinda strange to me. Are you familiar with the shop doing the alignment? Seems like they have kinda been giving you the run around.

I went to this shop because they have been around for awhile and I know alot of people who swear by them. And after having belle tires jack up an alignment for me in the past on a different truck and costing me a good $300 worth of tires I decided I would not be going there again.

I have no idea what is going on with this truck after the bilsteins. And now another issue after alignment.

I seen SOME people complained of vibrations in 4x4 at max 2.8" settings with bilsteins. Which is why I decided to play it safe an only go 2.1". And I don't have a vibration in 4x4...I have a violent shake/wobble under acceleration in 4x4 (unless alignment fixed that...but I won't know until I pick the truck up).

Truck was great before the leveling kit in all aspects!.

Inspected everything while the truck was apart for the leveling kit and all tie rod ends,ball joints and such were in good shape. Everything went back together smoothly also. Im stumped and dissapointed

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no vibration at all and that's why I went with the 2.1. Just wait and see how it is after alignment and then take it from there. One good thing is once you get it figured out your going to realy like the shocks. They ride great I did all four and I love them.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no vibration at all and that's why I went with the 2.1. Just wait and see how it is after alignment and then take it from there. One good thing is once you get it figured out your going to realy like the shocks. They ride great I did all four and I love them.

Yes, and in 2 wheel it does ride great!. Not firmer or softer than factory so much as it is a more controlled feeling. Felt great. It was just when in 4x4 I had a very bad wobble and binding during turning (another member said it was cv angle causing it..... But I don't know what make my truck so much different than others also with the 2.1" level). And now this pulling during acceleration the alignment shop is talking about. Hopefully they get that taken care of and it was an error on their part or something because it has never pulled and I don't know what would cause it to pull all of a sudden after they aligned it

Ecklund

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have also recently installed bilstein 5100 ,but I'm getting the vibrations at hwy speeds in 2wd. I also added 35'' Ko2's. And i can't seem to figure it out either. Now I'm scared to try it out in 4x4 ,ha

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have also recently installed bilstein 5100 ,but I'm getting the vibrations at hwy speeds in 2wd. I also added 35'' Ko2's. And i can't seem to figure it out either. Now I'm scared to try it out in 4x4 ,ha

yours sounds more like maybe a balance issue or a bad tire maybe. I hope for your sake its that simple anyhow lol

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
finally got my truck back. Apparently they didn't get the alignment exactly right the first time around. They realigned it and the pull to the left is gone. The wobble and binding is still an issue though. don't know what to do now. I would have to guess it is a CV binding issue from the lower control arms being extended from the leveling kit and changing the angle of the front axles.

Question is......what is so different about my truck?. Why is it most guys only develop a slight vibration when they max out bilsteins at 2.8, But I am getting full on wobble under acceleration at only 2.1" level. I thought by going to 2.1" I was playing it safe lol.

a few things I would like to mention though. I know the TRX4 came factory at .7"-1" or so higher in the front end from the factory and you are suppose to keep that in mind when raising the front end (2.1" would actually net you 2.8",2.8" would actually net you 3.5" etc...etc..). My truck DOES have TRX4 decals on the bed side. BUT I believe that the original owner had them, unless I have some super rare version of a TRX4 by some off chance.

Reason I say this is......My truck is a Sport truck,plastic front bumper facia and such...as far as I am aware the TRX4 used a painted steel bumper with plastic upper cap. ALSO, all the the build sheet data I have went over on the truck I didn't notice it saying anything about TRX4. (It may have said something about heavy duty suspension or something of that sort but I will have to check again and see). AND it also does not have a two tone paint job like I believe all TRX4 trucks had. AND my truck was manufactured late 2010 but is titled a 2011...I believe the TRX4 package ended in 2010.

Correct me if I am missing something here.

The factory front ride height on my truck from the ground to the bottom of the middle of my fender opening was 36.5" and in the rear was 39.5". (that is the same height is what the rest of the rams come from the factory ...correct?....the TRX4 would come factory in the 37.2"-37.5" range on the front correct?.

After leveling the front out it is now at 38.5" (about 2" of lift).

I posted a picture of my CV axles in another thread and a member responded and said that it looked like maybe my CV shafts were at to high of an angle when they should be almost straight across and he shared a picture of his ram that also has the bilsteins set at 2.1" and his axles are in fact much more straight across than mine.

So what is it that makes my truck so different?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After leveling and before alignment
get-attachment%202_zpsdyprfkur.jpg

get-attachment%205_zpslxdxhx3g.jpg

After leveling and after alignment (looks about the same to me)
FullSizeRender_zpsyejpadpa.jpg

FullSizeRender%201_zpscsu7dxrd.jpg

Before level
690088903966_2622112668315796800_n%201_zpsr0rtwmvh.jpg

After level

get-attachment%2013_zps8sj4rxhj.jpg

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also the truck came from Canada. Doubt that has anything to do with anything but figured I would mention it.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Def looks better! So are you having vibes or binding?

Vibes I can understand but wobble not so much. Can you give a new description of what you're experiencing now?

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Def looks better! So are you having vibes or binding?

Vibes I can understand but wobble not so much. Can you give a new description of what you're experiencing now?

I think it is more a difference in angle that the pictures were taken at. To me the axles look like they are at the same angle (which they should be since the alignment point is the cam on the lower control arms that would only control the pivot point of the spindle and not the height of the lower control arm..etc..etc..).

It is still doing the wobble and binding. MAYBE slightly better than before but still bad. Its deffinetly not a vibration. Its not something you feel in the steering wheel so much as it is the entire front portion of the truck body violently swaying/wobbleing. Best way I can descrive is like someone glued a giant red brick to the inside of each of my front wheels and when you hit the gas the unbalanced feeling wobbles the front end of the vehicle.

I also went and test drove the truck on a gravel road after alignment to double check. the wobble is just as pronounced on loose gravel as it is on dry pavement. Aswell is the binding, the binding happens when you turn the wheel and try to move forward (you do not even have to go to full lock for this to happen. maybe a half or 3/4 of a revolution of the steering wheel will cause it. And you can feel the truck almost pause and then jolt forward aswell as hear a metallic binding when this happens.

2 wheel drive everything is still fine!. full throttle no issues, highway speeds no issues. Only when in 4x4.

was perfect before the leveling kit and the only thing changed that could effect what I am feeling has got to be the cv shafts. I just don't get.....why my truck and not others?.

The alignment shop went over the truck while it was there and confirmed everything I already knew and that everything appeared to be in order and no worn parts and nothing loose.

Not sure what to do now.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well looking at it in person it looks the same. And there is no reason the pitch of the cv axle would have changed from an alignment. only the pitch of the outer cv joint which should have increased due to the camber being positive after leveling.

I think it is just the picture that makes it look like less of an angle. If you notice the pictures I took of it post alignment were more straight on where as the pictures of it pre alignment for from lower pointing on an upward angle.

Regardless.....There is still an issue and alignment didn't fix it. Not sure what to do other than yank the struts and put them at factory specs.....and get it aligned AGAIN. And be without the level (which was the entire reason I got the bilsteins in the first place). Can't go back to factory struts because I had to destroy them getting them out and cut an ear off each one due to the lower strut bolts being seized in place.

Only other option I see is.....front differential drop brackets. which would lower the front diff and get the cv axles in alignment with the hubs on both sides. BUT the problem is.....as far as i know....no one makes them!. You can get them if you buy a 4" or 6" lift kit but they don't sell them separately and even if they did I don't know if they would be the size I need. AND I don't know if that would cause issues with changing the angle that the front drive shaft would then be at without running a t-case drop ...etc...etc...

quite the pickle here haha

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know man. I have mine maxed and a 6" and have played in the mud with no issues. Besides the snow or mud I see no reason to be in 4 wheel drive, and even then it's at slow speeds.

OP
OP
XXSNOTRODXX

XXSNOTRODXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know man. I have mine maxed and a 6" and have played in the mud with no issues. Besides the snow or mud I see no reason to be in 4 wheel drive, and even then it's at slow speeds.

I won't be using mine unless in snow or mud as well. But I needed to test to look for issues.... And issues were indeed found lol. And it does it on low traction surfaces as well not just pavement. Which is no good.

It didn't do it before and now it does. And if I wanted a vehicle that wobbled all over the place I would have bought a mid 90's jeep for $1500 and not a 30k truck haha