Ordering Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's, P or LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What if I put my 22ft extension ladder on my Camry? Does that make it a truck?

Seriously, though. I work in the trades and only run passenger tires. If I put in everything I have for work, it's probably only 400-500lbs.
You prove my point...

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Your pickup is a light truck. You wouldn't put light truck tires on a passenger car. Why would you put passenger car tires on a light truck?

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Your pickup is a light truck. You wouldn't put light truck tires on a passenger car. Why would you put passenger car tires on a light truck?
How about because your "light truck" is really a "passenger car"?

That said, "passenger car tires" are not available with the specs that many (myself included) desire.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Even with passenger tires, my payload from the factory is 1700lbs. LT tires would be pointless for me, and probably the majority of truck owners.
Side note, my niece and her husband raised pigs this year. Their names were (note the past tense) were Chris P Bacon and Jimmy Dean.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
How about because your "light truck" is really a "passenger car"?

That said, "passenger car tires" are not available with the specs that many (myself included) desire.
I don't personally know of any passenger car that has the payload or towing ability of a full size half ton pickup. I would even put LT tires on a full size SUV. I guess my problem is yeah it is a passenger vehicle but so is a one ton pickup. But we don't just drive on pavement. More miles of gravel, dirt and two track than there is pavement in Montana and we need tires that will hold up to the conditions

Last edited:

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't personally know of any passenger car that has the payload or towing ability of a full size half ton pickup. I would even put LT tires on a full size SUV. I guess my problem is yeah it is a passenger vehicle but so is a one ton pickup. But we don't just drive on pavement. More miles of gravel, dirt and two track than there is pavement in Montana and we need tires that will hold up to the conditions
Dodge caravan can do 1800lbs. Not bad, for a passenger vehicle, eh?

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your pickup is a light truck.

It isn't. I mean we can debate the names of things until the cows come home, but todays 1500's are designed and used as family haulers and light towing. P rated tires (again, ignoring the names) work perfectly well for how they're used.

My little Jeep GC had a higher payload than some 1500's.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Dodge caravan can do 1800lbs. Not bad, for a passenger vehicle? Caravan do

Dodge caravan can do 1800lbs. Not bad, for a passenger vehicle, eh?
Not really my Jeep GC is rated at up to 6200 lbs
Here is a really good article on what is considered light medium and heavy duty trucks. A good read. https://www.badgertruck.com/heavy-truck-information/truck-classification/

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not really my Jeep GC is rated at up to 6200 lbs

Here is a really good article on what is considered light medium and heavy duty trucks. A good read. https://www.badgertruck.com/heavy-truck-information/truck-classification/

We're talking "payload", IE the amount of weight you can put in the truck/van/Jeep. His point is that the grand caravan can carry more weight than the 1500 "truck" can in many configurations.

Passenger rated tires can carry far more weight than a 1500 itself can carry. It's not necessary to buy LT tires, you're focusing on the classifications and names more than what the actual ratings for everything is. Kinda like how these aren't "half ton" trucks anymore either. Sometimes names stick around but they don't mean the same thing anymore.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I guess most people are missing my point. Those saying that a 1500 is a passenger car not a light truck are incorrect. All vehicles haul passengers. If I only drove around in my 3500 and never put a thing in the box or pulled a trailer does that make it a passenger car? It is a light truck and every DMV in the country will classify it as a light truck and most states you will pay a GVW fee on that pickup because it is a light truck. Then you get into the legal aspect of things. Since it is classified as a LT and you have P rated tires and you blow a tire and crash into and killing someone. And there are improperly rated tires on your vehicle. Well let's just say a lawyer would love that. You guys can run what you want. Me I am going to run tires that are rated for the vehicle I am driving whether or not I use it to the full capability of the vehicle or just use it to go to church and the grocery store on Sunday

Dewbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like my ridge grapplers so far....285/65/20.....stock rims

Attachments

• 1414B8A9-9460-409F-9890-ACB476C6F6B3.jpeg
    1414B8A9-9460-409F-9890-ACB476C6F6B3.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 11

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess most people are missing my point. Those saying that a 1500 is a passenger car not a light truck are incorrect. All vehicles haul passengers. If I only drove around in my 3500 and never put a thing in the box or pulled a trailer does that make it a passenger car? It is a light truck and every DMV in the country will classify it as a light truck and most states you will pay a GVW fee on that pickup because it is a light truck. Then you get into the legal aspect of things. Since it is classified as a LT and you have P rated tires and you blow a tire and crash into and killing someone. And there are improperly rated tires on your vehicle. Well let's just say a lawyer would love that. You guys can run what you want. Me I am going to run tires that are rated for the vehicle I am driving whether or not I use it to the full capability of the vehicle or just use it to go to church and the grocery store on Sunday

That's incorrect. Many of these trucks (non offroad variants) are shipped from the factory with p rated tires. And these P rated tires are fully rated to carry the GVWR of the truck. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

You're fully welcome to prefer the LT tires. But the stuff above about lawyers is not true.

El Guapo Phil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 10 ply (E Rated) on my 1500 and had to buckle down to 6 ply due to shortage of tires where I live. I live in the mountain area and use 4x4 to go up the hill about 2/10 mile to the house every day, twice a day. My tires last about 2 ½ years due to some to the off-road places I need to go. Next set will be 10 play again.

The 8 rated will do you well. You may not notice the difference for a while.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
That's incorrect. Many of these trucks (non offroad variants) are shipped from the factory with p rated tires. And these P rated tires are fully rated to carry the GVWR of the truck. I'm not sure why this is so difficult to understand.

You're fully welcome to prefer the LT tires. But the stuff above about lawyers is not true.
What you say is simple and correct. Like you, I don't see why this is such a difficult concept. As you say, if anyone wants to go to LT tires, great. For me, I have stuck with the P-rated since they are lighter (typically at least 10 lbs per tire) and ride smoother. Plus, that's what the truck came with. To each his own.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 10 ply (E Rated) on my 1500 and had to buckle down to 6 ply due to shortage of tires where I live. I live in the mountain area and use 4x4 to go up the hill about 2/10 mile to the house every day, twice a day. My tires last about 2 ½ years due to some to the off-road places I need to go. Next set will be 10 play again.

The 8 rated will do you well. You may not notice the difference for a while.
That won't affect durability or traction, etc... All it changes is the load rating.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Kinda like how these aren't "half ton" trucks anymore either. Sometimes names stick around but they don't mean the same thing anymore.
Not sure if you are implying that the current trucks are more or less capable than their nominal name?

My overloaded 1500 (quad cab, almost every option available) has a payload of a bit over 1600#. Assuming a typical load of even 2 plus-sized Americans of 300# each that still leaves 1000# for stuff in the bed, a/k/a a "half ton". FWIW I've hauled full ton pallets of wood pellets with no issue.

IF you could still get a single cab short box (maybe even with an 8' box), with a single 200# driver you would easily be able to haul 3/4 ton and be within the mfr ratings.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Passenger rated tires can carry far more weight than a 1500 itself can carry. It's not necessary to buy LT tires, you're focusing on the classifications and names more than what the actual ratings for everything is.
I may have already addressed this earlier (hard to keep track of which post is where).

The only issue for me is that many/most of the tires I want are not available in a P rating, usually either because of size or desired tread pattern.

Show me a P rated full snow tire in an equivalent of a 35 11.5 x 20 size and I will wish I had not bought the Nokians.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Since it is classified as a LT and you have P rated tires and you blow a tire and crash into and killing someone. And there are improperly rated tires on your vehicle. Well let's just say a lawyer would love that.
It has nothing to do with whether it's classified as an LT or not. As I believe has been pointed out, many/most 1500/150s come from the factory with P rated tires. Now if you put some cheap-a$$ tires on that have less than factory specs on them, ok, maybe the lawyers have a heyday. MAYBE.

And if you put P rated tires on a 2500+, then more likely. But even then it would take a savvy investigator to note that the tires were not up to factory spec (not suggesting someone do it - for a 2500+ I would not consider P rated tires and I hope no one else does either).