Ordering Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's, P or LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skidoorulz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
This is the world where people sue because they spilled hot coffee on their lap and burned their leg. And they win millions. You P rated guys do what you want. I am running tires that are rated for or maybe even stouter than needed. I didn't buy my pickup to ride like a car, I have a Jeep GCO for that

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This is the world where people sue because they spilled hot coffee on their lap and burned their leg. And they win millions. You P rated guys do what you want. I am running tires that are rated for or maybe even stouter than needed. I didn't buy my pickup to ride like a car, I have a Jeep GCO for that

When somebody wins a court case against a driver who purchases a truck from the dealer with factory installed P rated tires and keeps his truck maintained (ie proper psi), with no obvious defects or bulges etc, then I'll send you a beer and upgrade my tires, deal?

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Decided on Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's for my Ram 1500 HEMI. Literally all 4 of my close friends that have pickups have Wildpeaks and love them, but all have the LT version on their 250/2500 trucks. I'm trying to decide between standard load P metric and the LT D 8 Ply on my 1500.

Since I expect this to be the only set of tires I'll have on this truck during my ownership of it, I want to make the right choice.
This truck will be used for:

- Typical around town driving unloaded just the driver
- Roads around me are very windy and hilly as I live in the mountains, so lots of curvy uphill and downhill driving
- Hauling materials for my property, like dirt, wood, feed, bricks etc. Fairly uncommon, couple times a year.
- Family of 5 hauling during winter
- 1-2/year Family of 5 trips, cross country from the South into the snowy northeast US each winter
- Deer hunting and camping/hiking trails (mild off-road, dirt roads, gravel, tree roots, NO rock crawling or anything wild)
- Plan to get travel trailer in the next year or so, likely ~5000 lbs

Local shop has standard tires for $1200 otd, LT for about $1400 otd.

I know from just the numbers, the standard Wildpeaks should be sufficient for my needs. What I want to avoid is spending $1200 (10% of the cost of truck, i.e., a lot of money for me), buying the trailer, and being paranoid about the standard tires with the family, luggage and the travel trailer weight. So I lean LT.

Is the ride really that much worse with LT tires? Anyone have/use Falkens in both ratings and can offer a direct comparison?

Thanks, you all have been really helpful on this forum!
I just ordered a set of 4 35x12.5x20 LT out the door for $1446.00 cyber Monday special from simpli tire . Cheapest I could find them anywhere else.

ajamesd78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I can’t say enough good things about these tires. I have a Megacab 3500 that tows a 5th wheel and the wear factor for it being an AT tire was heavy on my mind. When I purchased the truck the were already WP on the front. I bout 4 new for the rear and put 20k on the truck mostly towing the trailer across long distance. Recently I had some work done on the front end (never ending) and the shop rotated the old tires from the front to outside rear. My plan was to just purchase 2 more new tires since the were 4 years older than the new rears. The truck felt amazing again. That new rubber feel. After all that if you are looking for a quality tire Falken WP are a great choice. Good wear even under load and great traction. LT255/80/17. Not loud and definitely improved the ride of that heavy truck which is hard to do with a 1 ton dually. I may not have helped but I’m enjoying the forum. Best of luck!

Attachments

• 67511450151__64D96336-CF08-4B3A-9F9E-4A328115888E_Original.jpeg
    67511450151__64D96336-CF08-4B3A-9F9E-4A328115888E_Original.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 4