Ordering Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's, P or LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Decided on Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's for my Ram 1500 HEMI. Literally all 4 of my close friends that have pickups have Wildpeaks and love them, but all have the LT version on their 250/2500 trucks. I'm trying to decide between standard load P metric and the LT D 8 Ply on my 1500.

Since I expect this to be the only set of tires I'll have on this truck during my ownership of it, I want to make the right choice.
This truck will be used for:

- Typical around town driving unloaded just the driver
- Roads around me are very windy and hilly as I live in the mountains, so lots of curvy uphill and downhill driving
- Hauling materials for my property, like dirt, wood, feed, bricks etc. Fairly uncommon, couple times a year.
- Family of 5 hauling during winter
- 1-2/year Family of 5 trips, cross country from the South into the snowy northeast US each winter
- Deer hunting and camping/hiking trails (mild off-road, dirt roads, gravel, tree roots, NO rock crawling or anything wild)
- Plan to get travel trailer in the next year or so, likely ~5000 lbs

Local shop has standard tires for $1200 otd, LT for about $1400 otd.

I know from just the numbers, the standard Wildpeaks should be sufficient for my needs. What I want to avoid is spending $1200 (10% of the cost of truck, i.e., a lot of money for me), buying the trailer, and being paranoid about the standard tires with the family, luggage and the travel trailer weight. So I lean LT.

Is the ride really that much worse with LT tires? Anyone have/use Falkens in both ratings and can offer a direct comparison?

Thanks, you all have been really helpful on this forum!

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 1500 on LT E ko2’s and no complaints rather have a tougher tire
Thanks! Did yours come stock with P tires, and assuming so when you switched, did the road noise or ride become noticeably worse? Seriously worse? Appreciate that you prefer the tougher tire regardless, just curious if you experienced the downsides, but the tougher tire is worth it.

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the falcon wildpeak SL 275 60 20 on my 5th gen 1500. I went this route because it impacted my mpg less. These were 48lbs. vs 58 lbs for the LT version. The mpg difference from stock is negligible imo. Ride is still really nice. Obviously not as quiet as the oem bridgestones. But not loud at all and no real noise at highway speeds.

I don't really off road though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the SL 275 60 20 on my 5th gen 1500. I went this route because it impacted my mpg less. These were 48lbs. vs 58 lbs for the LT version. The mpg difference from stock is negligible imo. Ride is still really nice. Obviously not as quiet as the oem bridgestones. But not loud at all and no real noise at highway speeds.

I don't really off road though.
275 60 20 Falken Wildpeaks, or something else?

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I run the Wildpeak LT/E, which my truck calls for the E-Rated tire. They ride fine and I have no complaints. Normally the P-Rated will give you a better ride. I have always gone with what is on the tag on the side of the door frame, if in doubt. I think either way you will be happy with them. Most 250/2500 call for the E's, with very few 1500's calling for them. The P's will also give you better MPG, as well.

Also it is getting where more and more tire dealers are only putting the size tire specified by the manufacturer for a vehicle on them, for insurance and safety reasons.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run the Wildpeak LT/E, which my truck calls for the E-Rated tire. They ride fine and I have no complaints. Normally the P-Rated will give you a better ride. I have always gone with what is on the tag on the side of the door frame, if in doubt. I think either way you will be happy with them. Most 250/2500 call for the E's, with very few 1500's calling for them. The P's will also give you better MPG, as well.

Also it is getting where more and more tire dealers are only putting the size tire specified by the manufacturer for a vehicle on them, for insurance and safety reasons.

Yeah, my Ram came with P tires. Falken makes the Wildpeak A/T3W in my size in P and in D, as highlighted below:
wildpeaks.JPG

The D rating 8 Ply is ~10# heavier per tire. The 18/64 vs 13/64 tread depth has me leaning LT too. 17% more cost upfront for the LT setup, but a 40% increase in starting tread depth? Sounds nice.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
I went XL-rated for my tires (Ridge Grapplers). About the same weight as SL/LT weight and considerably lighter than E-rated.

If I was still off-roading or towing I would have gotten the E-rated for added "toughness".

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Posters 1-8 had some good info. I run P rated, which is C tires on MY 19. My dealer sells buy 3, fourth one sale right now is $1.00. May be something to look at if you have any dealers offering this sale. But I do have 18" not 20's on MY 19 truck. Just FYI. FTR: I run AT3W's with snow rating, though snow normally not an issue here, water and mud more.

New tire on truck.jpgNew tires left side truck.jpg

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But I do have 18" not 20's on MY 19 truck. Just FYI. FTR: I run AT3W's with snow rating, though snow normally not an issue here, water and mud more.
Wow Boird, those tires still look new, do the shoes on your Hausie last that long, I miss pics of the Hausie!!!

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would agree with post above. If you are going be towing 5K+ go with LT. You would be likely fine with with P. But for $200 difference.
Good brakes and Tires are important when Towing, not place to be 'cheap'.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would agree with post above. If you are going be towing 5K+ go with LT. You would be likely fine with with P. But for $200 difference.
Good brakes and Tires are important when Towing, not place to be 'cheap'.
Oh yeah its not the cost difference that would deter me. Thought experiment... if I never end up with the travel trailer, either due to finances or life changes, would the rest of my use case still make LT tires a good choice? I know the towing part is the biggest push in the LT direction, but that is a year out and lots can change in a year I suppose.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh yeah its not the cost difference that would deter me. Thought experiment... if I never end up with the travel trailer, either due to finances or life changes, would the rest of my use case still make LT tires a good choice? I know the towing part is the biggest push in the LT direction, but that is a year out and lots can change in a year I suppose.

I maybe the minority here, but the P rated tires would/could handle your needs I am running P rated 275 65 20 tires now, and have run 275 60 20 p rated tires in the past with no issues. Towing mowers/quads/SxS on average once a month. I can not confirm loaded weight. Dual axle all steel car trailer with 2-4 quads and or a combination of quads/SXS.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had both. I had 35x12's with 12 ply. MPG down the drain but it drove great.

Second truck I bought 275 60 20 8 ply. I love them and im averaging 17mpg. Zero regrets.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I never understood why other then for comfort they would put a P as in passenger tire on a pickup truck... IMO they should have at minimum of 6 ply tire or D rated (8 ply) tire if towing more then a few thousand pounds...

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

None of us can say. You will have judge that yourself.

As you mentioned in first post. You are not 100% about the future, etc... Might not buy more tires for the truck? Weigh the cost difference now vs whatever happens in future. If you get a trailer, then you should change the tires.
I do agree with what @06 Dodge wrote above. I wouldn't put P tires on Truck.

I did put those tires on my Truck, E rated, because I do tow heavy at times.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I run Michelin Defender LTX MS/2 which I believe are P rated. No regrets, I've towed 6000+ pounds with them and when not towing they are super quiet and smooth and give excellent MPG.