Ordering Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's, P or LT?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwilburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Limited Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Tell me more please. put them on backwards meaning putting the cone against the inside of the wheel? Is that how it works/what you mean?

Truck came with P rated. Bought new P rated Cooper discoverer AT3. They had the bad shakes at 70mph although very smooth up until 65. I returned those and got LT Falkens. The ride is less smooth in general for sure but I dont mind that, I mind the shakes, which these Falkens have at 40mph exactly, and then bad again from about 65-80ish
Exactly... you can't put the "cone" against the plastic cladding on the wheels. It flexes and won't balance. When I bought my Falken's they shook my guts out at 60 mph. Took it to my dealer who told me the above. They balanced them... good up to 101 (err, umm... so I'm told)

Firehawk54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just put the LT WildPeaks on my 2013 Ram. Stock size 275/60r20. I went the LT because I wanted the extra tread depth primarily and because I hunt in some pretty rugged areas with sharp rocks. Figured a little more tire would never hurt in that regard.

I am coming off of P275/60r20 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I got about 44k out of them and they wore pretty evenly. I could have gone another 5-8k on them, but wanted new tires before winter got here, so went this route before I took the truck hunting.

They ride stiffer for sure, but not as bad as I was expecting. MPG has dropped about 1/2 a mpg. Noise isn't any different than before and maybe even a touch quiter. They ride smooth when the road is smooth. Like them a lot. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

Rome X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Even if not towing a tougher tire is never a bad thing.
(I am just taking this statement at face value)

Not true. If all one ever does is haul 50# of groceries plus their own 300# a$$ a "tougher" tire will do nothing except cost more, provide a harsher ride and lower MPG.

There is no "perfect" tire. All you can do is select the one that is better for your use. In case it's not obvious, "your use" will vary and thus too the "better" tire.

kmstreaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
For the extra $200 I'd buy the LT's. I find little to no difference between P series and LT series when it comes to ride quality. I do however prefer the heavier plys and tougher sidewall strength of the LT's should you ever get offroad or carry a heavy load or decide to buy a camper, etc. Sticks and stone won't hurt the heavier LT. Fuel economy will suffer a bit due to how heavy they are and possibly increased rolling resistance. I won't ever put a P series tire on a 1/2 ton again IMHO.

Baoluo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My previous truck was a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi 4x4. I purchased the P rated XL Wildpeak’s. my truck was a daily driver, mostly highway. I own a travel trailer. Weigh is under 5000 lbs. Drove all over the east coast. Also drove cross country to Denver from North Carolina. Drove up in the Rockies. Took my travel trailer into the mountains for boon docking. Loved my Wildpeaks! I never felt unsafe, even in the mountains. Truck drove great on the highway with minimal noise. Ride was excellent. I certainly understand others wanting the LT‘s, but for my use the XL’s were perfect.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I run the LT's in a 37 on my 1500 and love them. I played with tire pressure to get the correct contact and a smooth ride. When it was time to replace the BFG A/T's on my kids JKU we went with the P rated and she loves them. My truck is mostly used to tow our 4,000lb 5th wheel but once and a while our 10,000lb boat.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
(I am just taking this statement at face value)

Not true. If all one ever does is haul 50# of groceries plus their own 300# a$$ a "tougher" tire will do nothing except cost more, provide a harsher ride and lower MPG.

There is no "perfect" tire. All you can do is select the one that is better for your use. In case it's not obvious, "your use" will vary and thus too the "better" tire.

Agreed. Otherwise one can make the argument that a 3500 is always better than a 1500, but that's not the case either. That's why they build different products to suit different needs and priorities.

I'm pretty happy with my luxurious michelins. Yes I could do with a better tire while towing but most of the time my truck is not towing.

Fnjoey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Decided on Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's for my Ram 1500 HEMI. Literally all 4 of my close friends that have pickups have Wildpeaks and love them, but all have the LT version on their 250/2500 trucks. I'm trying to decide between standard load P metric and the LT D 8 Ply on my 1500.

Since I expect this to be the only set of tires I'll have on this truck during my ownership of it, I want to make the right choice.
This truck will be used for:

- Typical around town driving unloaded just the driver
- Roads around me are very windy and hilly as I live in the mountains, so lots of curvy uphill and downhill driving
- Hauling materials for my property, like dirt, wood, feed, bricks etc. Fairly uncommon, couple times a year.
- Family of 5 hauling during winter
- 1-2/year Family of 5 trips, cross country from the South into the snowy northeast US each winter
- Deer hunting and camping/hiking trails (mild off-road, dirt roads, gravel, tree roots, NO rock crawling or anything wild)
- Plan to get travel trailer in the next year or so, likely ~5000 lbs

Local shop has standard tires for $1200 otd, LT for about $1400 otd.

I know from just the numbers, the standard Wildpeaks should be sufficient for my needs. What I want to avoid is spending $1200 (10% of the cost of truck, i.e., a lot of money for me), buying the trailer, and being paranoid about the standard tires with the family, luggage and the travel trailer weight. So I lean LT.

Is the ride really that much worse with LT tires? Anyone have/use Falkens in both ratings and can offer a direct comparison?

Thanks, you all have been really helpful on this forum!
I have the wild peaks, not sure which ones to be honest, my supervisor also has them and I know mine are more aggressive than his, and I like them. Little more noise then I like but so dar so good. Not sure about snow since we got no snow last year, but I'm sure that'll change this year.

RickyJ108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 06 Dakota with P tires, when we bought our camper almost 7000 lbs I went to the LT tires on it they didn't hold the road as well as the P tires but handled the load beautifully. I like the ride of the P tires they seem to handle better with some spirited driving. So you will have to ask yourself this trailer you buy is it a utility trailer or camper? What are you going to haul? Is it possible that you will be close to your weight limits? If you have a Hemi your motor will pull it even if you overload it but then safety comes into play brakes, tires, and suspension. Worst come to worst if you need to upgrade to LT's you can always sell the old tires if they aren't to worn and recover most of your money. Or buy a cheap set of LT's off online to see if you like the ride.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Decided on Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's for my Ram 1500 HEMI. Literally all 4 of my close friends that have pickups have Wildpeaks and love them, but all have the LT version on their 250/2500 trucks. I'm trying to decide between standard load P metric and the LT D 8 Ply on my 1500.

Since I expect this to be the only set of tires I'll have on this truck during my ownership of it, I want to make the right choice.
This truck will be used for:

- Typical around town driving unloaded just the driver
- Roads around me are very windy and hilly as I live in the mountains, so lots of curvy uphill and downhill driving
- Hauling materials for my property, like dirt, wood, feed, bricks etc. Fairly uncommon, couple times a year.
- Family of 5 hauling during winter
- 1-2/year Family of 5 trips, cross country from the South into the snowy northeast US each winter
- Deer hunting and camping/hiking trails (mild off-road, dirt roads, gravel, tree roots, NO rock crawling or anything wild)
- Plan to get travel trailer in the next year or so, likely ~5000 lbs

Local shop has standard tires for $1200 otd, LT for about $1400 otd.

I know from just the numbers, the standard Wildpeaks should be sufficient for my needs. What I want to avoid is spending $1200 (10% of the cost of truck, i.e., a lot of money for me), buying the trailer, and being paranoid about the standard tires with the family, luggage and the travel trailer weight. So I lean LT.

Is the ride really that much worse with LT tires? Anyone have/use Falkens in both ratings and can offer a direct comparison?

Thanks, you all have been really helpful on this forum!
I don't know how manufacturers get away with mounting a passenger tire rated tire on a truck. I'd get the LT's.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Honestly, the price of a set of tires is what I spend on gas in 2 or 3 months. Most places I buy my tires have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee or they swap them at full value for something else. Doesn't seem like a big risk to try something new, don't like them, switch to the next choice.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know how manufacturers get away with mounting a passenger tire rated tire on a truck. I'd get the LT's.
Fairly simply, it's because the vast majority of 1500s are used primarily, if not exclusively, as passenger vehicles (putting 200# of sports equipment in the bed does not make it a truck - you can do that in a Camry).

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fairly simply, it's because the vast majority of 1500s are used primarily, if not exclusively, as passenger vehicles (putting 200# of sports equipment in the bed does not make it a truck - you can do that in a Camry).
What if I put my 22ft extension ladder on my Camry? Does that make it a truck?

Seriously, though. I work in the trades and only run passenger tires. If I put in everything I have for work, it's probably only 400-500lbs.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
off topic - "howdy neighbor!" /off topic :happy160:
Off as in what started as a possible wheel balancing issue started to get into the weeds with driveshaft balancing, getting rid of the new tires and even getting rid of the truck. All I'm saying is that the simplest solution is ususally the correct one and needs to be thoroughly tested out before more drastic measures. And howdy to you in York as well!

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Off as in what started as a possible wheel balancing issue started to get into the weeds with driveshaft balancing, getting rid of the new tires and even getting rid of the truck. All I'm saying is that the simplest solution is ususally the correct one and needs to be thoroughly tested out before more drastic measures. And howdy to you in York as well!

To be clear, it was my "howdy neighbor" post that was off topic, not yours. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357