Alpharex 5th Gen 2500 Style Projector Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
hey ugb4e, any advice from installing them? Got my order in yesterday. I've seen how to remove the headlights but looking at these looks like there's a extra wire and plug? (I've never removed the stock headlights so may be wrong).
If those wire up like the Gen5 replica lights, the extra single wire(red) is for the DRL. You also pull the turn/marker light out of the socket, that extra plug goes into there.
They probably give you a module to wire up the DRL circuits, it taps power from a switched fuse. Or you can probably add the dedicated DRL circuits, M² Mods can sell you the pigtail wires to add to the truck and enable them with AlfaOBD

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@pidass...are you referring to the yellow wire?, if so just wire that directly to the drl harness

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Best I can tell I have the adapter harness hooked up correctly. What do I do with the part in my hand?

013C7E84-ADBE-4A41-8450-0717B7C56998.jpeg

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got in contact with alpharex support who walked me through it. Have to remove one of the connectors from the socket and connect like this (in case someone runs into the same confusion I had)

7F8BDC0F-E16F-43F6-89B0-326CF15E45EE.jpeg

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@pidass that looks different than mine. Did your truck have factory projectors?

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yea have factory projectors so had to get the conversion harness. Was not super obvious how to integrate the harness.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
What Brand hid bulb did you use
I just got these and I used h7 morimoto and they seem to be to long to lock in .
Did you have any issues getting the bulbs to fit ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
@UgB4e if it's not too much trouble, can you please post all the changes you made in alfaobd if you have it and made to get these to work without any lights out errors.

This is assuming you have alfaobd and you have no light error messages, thank you ahead of time.

I should be getting mine tomorrow

MidnightSVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@UgB4e,

Thank you for posting your review and especially the pics of the installed lights. I also have a white Ram with chrome bumper and grill so it is great to see how these lights would look on a similar truck. Like CAG CheechDogg, I am also curious if you had to use AlfaOBD to make any changes? I have 2019 Classic and do NOT currently have any components to run AlphaOBD (because I need an extra security bypass for my year which is added $$$). I have the quad headlights so I think at the minimum, I would need some load resistors for the turn signals. Thanks again for posting. I will be following this thread closely.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like those lights a lot! Looks great!

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
@UgB4e,

Thank you for posting your review and especially the pics of the installed lights. I also have a white Ram with chrome bumper and grill so it is great to see how these lights would look on a similar truck. Like CAG CheechDogg, I am also curious if you had to use AlfaOBD to make any changes? I have 2019 Classic and do NOT currently have any components to run AlphaOBD (because I need an extra security bypass for my year which is added $$$). I have the quad headlights so I think at the minimum, I would need some load resistors for the turn signals. Thanks again for posting. I will be following this thread closely.

You will definitely need load resistors to keep the light out warnings and yes you will need alfaobd to make some changes as well as the security bypass harness ..

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You will definitely need load resistors to keep the light out warnings and yes you will need alfaobd to make some changes as well as the security bypass harness ..
Facts. I kept having Parking Light Out errors with my lights but after changing setings in AlfaOBD it only pops up if i turn my fog lights off then back on so I leave them on and have 0 problems.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Facts. I kept having Parking Light Out errors with my lights but after changing setings in AlfaOBD it only pops up if i turn my fog lights off then back on so I leave them on and have 0 problems.

And that shouldn't even happen ... I got tired of telling the guy from alpharex what they needed to do to avoid it ... they can easily make the change to the design but because they are mass producing these lights overseas they don't want to probably pay extra ...

The circuit for the drls/switchbacks is what is causing the issue ... there is not enough "POWAH" when you turn signal lights or the fogs lights to keep the canbus system from thinking there is a light out ... mine would only go of if the auto lights were on and the fogs came on like yours or if the lights were off and the auto lights came on when the sun started going down ... if I didn't have my fogs as my drls set with alfaobd I might not the error actually but didn't try that ... so the dropoff of the fogs if its on auto with drls or any combination of the fogs coming on is what seems to set off the warning ...

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@UgB4e,

Appreciate it Bud. Little update as I have been away for a while. I recently purchased a set of Alpharex NOVA headlights. I loved the fact that the my old headlights had a electronic shutter to switch from high to low the light output was severely diminished from my G2's i had previously. My friend bought a set of G2's and Aukee LED bulbs and it was brighter and more intense than my HID kit. After much spending for different LED bulbs, I decided to but the most expensive HID kit I could. GTR Lighting 5500k with 55 Watt ballasts. Unfortunately the design of both the Morimoto h7 and GTR lighting HID bulbs they will not fit in the 2500 Style Alpharex lights. So instead of taking a Dremel and widening the hole for the HID bulbs to fit it installed the GTR Ballasts and paired them with my DDM Tuning HID bulbs. A much better output but still for $350.00 it doesn't compare to my friends G2's and Aukee bulbs. So finally I said screw it and bought the Novas. In hindsight I should have stuck with my G2's but this forum kept introducing new options to buy. So after spending close to $2800 for different style headlights, bulbs, HID kits, hopefully the NOVAS blow my mind or ill be selling them for my G2's.

The only positive I can see is after owning all the variants from Alpharex I can give my honest opinion. Stay tuned for my post once I install the Novas. Before anyone asks I do not like spending money on lights just for fun. I am blind in my one eye and night driving is terrible when one eye does all the work. I tried finding someone to do a retrofit on my 2500 style lights but nobody would respond to my inquiries and Jeremy @Retroshop said he wasn't retrofitting Alpharex.

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And that shouldn't even happen ... I got tired of telling the guy from alpharex what they needed to do to avoid it ... they can easily make the change to the design but because they are mass producing these lights overseas they don't want to probably pay extra ...

The circuit for the drls/switchbacks is what is causing the issue ... there is not enough "POWAH" when you turn signal lights or the fogs lights to keep the canbus system from thinking there is a light out ... mine would only go of if the auto lights were on and the fogs came on like yours or if the lights were off and the auto lights came on when the sun started going down ... if I didn't have my fogs as my drls set with alfaobd I might not the error actually but didn't try that ... so the dropoff of the fogs if its on auto with drls or any combination of the fogs coming on is what seems to set off the warning ...
Yes, once I set the dropout the error only pops up when i turn the fogs off then back on. Other than that i have 0 issues. I have spoken to Alpharex 100 times explaining the issue and they say I am the only one and they can't duplicate the error. I send them links to the forum with all the posts containing the words "Alpharex bulb out error" and they still say until they see the error first hand they can't do anything. Before the error would happen every time when I hit the turn signals. Thanks to help from @1500ram12 I got it down to only when i turn the fogs off then on. Check his posts he listed the exact steps to perform in Alfaobd.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Appreciate it Bud. Little update as I have been away for a while. I recently purchased a set of Alpharex NOVA headlights. I loved the fact that the my old headlights had a electronic shutter to switch from high to low the light output was severely diminished from my G2's i had previously. My friend bought a set of G2's and Aukee LED bulbs and it was brighter and more intense than my HID kit. After much spending for different LED bulbs, I decided to but the most expensive HID kit I could. GTR Lighting 5500k with 55 Watt ballasts. Unfortunately the design of both the Morimoto h7 and GTR lighting HID bulbs they will not fit in the 2500 Style Alpharex lights. So instead of taking a Dremel and widening the hole for the HID bulbs to fit it installed the GTR Ballasts and paired them with my DDM Tuning HID bulbs. A much better output but still for $350.00 it doesn't compare to my friends G2's and Aukee bulbs. So finally I said screw it and bought the Novas. In hindsight I should have stuck with my G2's but this forum kept introducing new options to buy. So after spending close to $2800 for different style headlights, bulbs, HID kits, hopefully the NOVAS blow my mind or ill be selling them for my G2's.

The only positive I can see is after owning all the variants from Alpharex I can give my honest opinion. Stay tuned for my post once I install the Novas. Before anyone asks I do not like spending money on lights just for fun. I am blind in my one eye and night driving is terrible when one eye does all the work. I tried finding someone to do a retrofit on my 2500 style lights but nobody would respond to my inquiries and Jeremy @Retroshop said he wasn't retrofitting Alpharex.

The 2500 5th gen style come in the Pro and Luxx series ... the Pros are complete trash and the Luxx series which @the_goodguy07 has are very bright and look nice and he got no errors at all but I think it's because he has no fog lights actually ...

The NOVAs are going to definitely light up the night for you ... I am also blind at night and I need lights that have a good cut off and also are bright and project the light far ahead ... my wife's Lexus has some very good projectors that I wish my truck had lol ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yes, once I set the dropout the error only pops up when i turn the fogs off then back on. Other than that i have 0 issues. I have spoken to Alpharex 100 times explaining the issue and they say I am the only one and they can't duplicate the error. I send them links to the forum with all the posts containing the words "Alpharex bulb out error" and they still say until they see the error first hand they can't do anything. Before the error would happen every time when I hit the turn signals. Thanks to help from @1500ram12 I got it down to only when i turn the fogs off then on. Check his posts he listed the exact steps to perform in Alfaobd.

Yeah I went through the same with them ... they even said to go down to their warehouse in City of Industry to look at my truck to see if they can replicate it because like with you they said I was the only one complaining about it but when it was time to go down there they had no time lol .... they just sell the damn lights and have no idea of how they work .... they didn't even know about the alfaobd settings that you can change to fix the errors for "some" people ...

Until they change the design of how the switchbacks work they will continue to have the light out errors .... unless you don't have OEM fog lights it seems that you will be getting that error and I am not going to delete my foglights just to have working alpharex headlights lol ... hopefully the NOVAs work for you and you don't get any errors which will be encouraging for me lol ...

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What Brand hid bulb did you use
I just got these and I used h7 morimoto and they seem to be to long to lock in .
Did you have any issues getting the bulbs to fit ?
Yes it pissed me off after spending $350 on a GTR lighting HID kit, The difference is the part that hold the bulb is too large to fit into the slot in the Alpharex 2500 series lights. The first picture shows the part I am talking about with the GTR lighting HID bulbs. The second photo is the DDM Tuning HID bulbs. You can see the difference in the red circle. That is the problem. I highly recommend this kit.

https://www.amazon.com/DDM-Tuning-Premium-Ballasts-Hi-Output/dp/B074X134R9

Inked33030.H7_GTR_Lighting_Ultra_Series_HID_Bulbs.010_LI.jpg

Inked41zERmVDtLL._AC__LI.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
Yes it pissed me off after spending $350 on a GTR lighting HID kit, The difference is the part that hold the bulb is too large to fit into the slot in the Alpharex 2500 series lights. The first picture shows the part I am talking about with the GTR lighting HID bulbs. The second photo is the DDM Tuning HID bulbs. You can see the difference in the red circle. That is the problem. I highly recommend this kit.

So what did you do with your 2500 style headlights ?

OP
OP
UgB4e

UgB4e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2500 5th gen style come in the Pro and Luxx series ... the Pros are complete trash and the Luxx series which @the_goodguy07 has are very bright and look nice and he got no errors at all but I think it's because he has no fog lights actually ...

The NOVAs are going to definitely light up the night for you ... I am also blind at night and I need lights that have a good cut off and also are bright and project the light far ahead ... my wife's Lexus has some very good projectors that I wish my truck had lol ...
Honestly any vehicle that is bought today should come with premium headlights. I'd rather be able to see the road at night clearly than have my ass get hot or cold. Maybe it's just me.