Alpharex G2 2500-Style Lights In GTR Ultra 2 vs Innovited HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
got my new alpharex g2 2500 style in black installed. For comparison I put the new GTR Ultra 2 LEDs in driver and Innovited 35w HID 6500k in passenger. Lighting experts-which would you keep. I know it's daytime and kind of bright so no night shots yet.

Before:
IMG_3808.jpeg

Ultra 2 in:IMG_3810.jpeg
Both in:IMG_3819.jpeg IMG_3820.jpeg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’d stick with hids. You can see the distortion in the led beam. Not good. For some reason your hid kit seems very weak. Like worse than halogen weak. But like you said it is day time. May want to think about a 55w kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
To clarify which is which, the HID was on the side closer to the outlet of the right.

From looking at the light pattern, I'm going to say the LED has the better patterns on the wall, more even coverage with less hot spots. It will be interesting to see night time shots for comparison.

Do these headlights use one or two H7 bulbs per headlight assembly?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
To clarify which is which, the HID was on the side closer to the outlet of the right.

From looking at the light pattern, I'm going to say the LED has the better patterns on the wall, more even coverage with less hot spots. It will be interesting to see night time shots for comparison.

1. It's a bi-functional projector.

The led definitely had a more even pattern compared to the hid. But you might get better distance with the Innovited kit from the looks

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Bigger hot spots might seem like it means better lighting but that’s not ALWAYS the case some times scatter can be mistaken as a big hot spot. These beams are heavily distorted the passenger side hot spot is a way different size and the light is bending off the projector different. The passenger side is considerably more blue. Both sides look distorted. Definitely not a clean output at all. It’s actually pretty bad.
2256a50119c5b7070bcc04010567db94.jpg

OP
OP
pidass

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to upload last night. Looks pretty good at night but something still doesn't seem right.

Here is a closer pic with the truck roughly where the garage door would be so kind of close to wall but the scatter? that seems like whiskers above the cutoff line concerns me (that is the GTR LED). Tried to make sure the LED was clocked at 9 and 3 but maybe it moved a little when I was stuffing the wiring.
IMG_3839.jpeg

Here the truck is further up the drive way, the beam pattern doesn't seem like others pictures I've seen. There seems like 2 steps in the cutoff pattern whereas most other pictures of others seems to have one crisp step. Thinking maybe I have the drivers adjust up too high? What else could it be?
IMG_3841.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg

And a high beam shot pretty close to wall:
IMG_3838.jpeg

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Forgot to upload last night. Looks pretty good at night but something still doesn't seem right.

Here is a closer pic with the truck roughly where the garage door would be so kind of close to wall but the scatter? that seems like whiskers above the cutoff line concerns me (that is the GTR LED). Tried to make sure the LED was clocked at 9 and 3 but maybe it moved a little when I was stuffing the wiring.
View attachment 199001

Here the truck is further up the drive way, the beam pattern doesn't seem like others pictures I've seen. There seems like 2 steps in the cutoff pattern whereas most other pictures of others seems to have one crisp step. Thinking maybe I have the drivers adjust up too high? What else could it be?
View attachment 199002
View attachment 199003

And a high beam shot pretty close to wall:
View attachment 199000

You’ve got something going on with that driver side projector. Even with led bulbs it shouldn’t be like that. Send those pictures in to who you got them from. To be sure you can slap a halogen bulb back in there and see if it looks the same. No need to hook the hid kit back up.

OP
OP
pidass

pidass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’ve got something going on with that driver side projector. Even with led bulbs it shouldn’t be like that. Send those pictures in to who you got them from. To be sure you can slap a halogen bulb back in there and see if it looks the same. No need to hook the hid kit back up.

That was a good idea. So went out this morning and put halogen bulb in same projector (it's morning so ignore the lack of brightness). Much better cutoff:
IMG_3845.jpeg

Even grabbed the other GTR ultra 2 bulb to try to rule out a single bad bulb and got the same scattering results. Even tried rotating the bulb in the socket and while it changed the hotspot it didn't improve the scattering. So results are the ultra 2 for whatever reasons do not play nice in these housings.

So I grabbed the other half of the Innovited HID and put it in:
IMG_3847.jpeg

clean cutoff, will look at night shots tonight to compare but went ahead and ordered the 55w innovited kit to try out for more output.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That was a good idea. So went out this morning and put halogen bulb in same projector (it's morning so ignore the lack of brightness). Much better cutoff:
View attachment 199010

Even grabbed the other GTR ultra 2 bulb to try to rule out a single bad bulb and got the same scattering results. Even tried rotating the bulb in the socket and while it changed the hotspot it didn't improve the scattering. So results are the ultra 2 for whatever reasons do not play nice in these housings.

So I grabbed the other half of the Innovited HID and put it in:
View attachment 199011

clean cutoff, will look at night shots tonight to compare but went ahead and ordered the 55w innovited kit to try out for more output.

Yeah just pay close attention to that drivers side beam at night I didn’t like the way that looked at all but it certainly could have been the bulb. Here’s the intensity of a 55w HID kit. But FYI if you want to keep the blue tint get 6500k or even 8000k bulbs. The extra power will wash out a lot of the blue and he am intense white

f20ef9b33df15879cb6564da88fc6bdf.jpg
949b66214c6f669404e2adb5e3e543a0.jpg

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The HID definitely has a better pattern, and will always project better than the LED will.

Just curious about this style headlights, is the notch in the projector where the tab on the bulb sits oriented at 12:00? Or is it cocked to around 2:00? On the ‘19 style gen 1 alpharex lights I have, the low beam projector has the notch at around 2:00, and I cannot for the life of me get the hotspot to be functional. So much so that I pulled them and reinstalled my TYC projectors. I tried all kinds of rotating, shimming, trimming, bending, etc. Nothing worked. I tried 3 different HID bulbs and 2 different LED bulbs. The LEDs looked great at 10-20 feet, bright, crisp cutoff, nice beam pattern, but when driving, they did not project for ****. The beam just faded out in the distanc. I was basically out driving my headlights at 45 mph. No good for anything on the freeway.