Alpharex pro series

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jokerswild056

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed some alpharex pro series headlights on a 2015 Ram, with LEDs and programmed it using alphaobd2 and everything is working great. So I was wondering is there a way to not have the DRL on all the time? I know I could just unwire the drl on them, but wasn't sure if that could cause any problems with the lights. Is there any options for this scenario, because I can stand have the key in the run position with engine off and the drl are on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
Jokerswild056

Jokerswild056

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the reply, I have a 15 outdoorsman and I checked out the radio feature but didn't have that option for drl. I have the 8.4 but without Nav. When I originally installed the alpharex I didn't have the drl wired to the fuse tap or battery and loved the way it turn the sequence lighting on when I was running just the side amber light. And could drive without drl on, but read somewhere that not having them wired up cause failure to the lights. So I ended up wiring to the battery and fuse, but just might unwire it again and call it a day. Did you have any luck with adjusting your beam output. What did you use for your low beams. I used H7 360 led but might go with a different bulb because they just aren't bright enough.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 15 outdoorsman and I checked out the radio feature but didn't have that option for drl. I have the 8.4 but without Nav.
When you program the BCM for the dedicated DRL is when you enable the option to turn them On/Off in the radio.
Adding the wires is easy and inexpensive, then the DRLs will operate like factory. Contact @Mpgrimm2 for the pigtails

I still run SilverStar Ultras halogens on my lows but Hikari Ultras LEDs in the highs.
I also run a set of DiodeDynamics SS3 SAE Pro level Fogs, these are worth the $$ and highly recommend.

OP
OP
Jokerswild056

Jokerswild056

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the help, just so I don't mess up with the programming. I know how to change certain options, but what did you do to enable them to be controlled on the radio? What was the option?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I know how to change certain options, but what did you do to enable them to be controlled on the radio? What was the option?
In the first post of the AlfaOBD thread there's a "Known Working" list, I followed those settings.
AlfaOBD thread: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/post-1785284

From the Known Working List:
DRLs: (Daytime Running Lights) For “Dedicated” DRLs (Rams with factory projectors) see post #7079
CBC Features: DRL Configuration
Select “Optional DRL”
CBC Features: DRL Lamp location (several to choose from, high beam, low beam, fog lamp, dedicated and SRT Light Bar) Known working high beam, low beam, turn signal and fog lamp.
CBC Features: DRL Dropout Enabled
Select “yes”
ECU 3: DRL Customer Setting Enable/Disable
Select “yes”
Customer Service Menus: Daytime Running Lights CSM
Select “yes”
If you use either the High or Low beams as DRLs it's best not to enable the DRL dropout

rathburngj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Hello!

To start.. my truck is a 2022 Warlock. So, my truck came with factory projectors.

I wanted to chime in here in hopes that I could help someone that may be in the same boat I was in..

First off - I wanted the AlphaRex Pro series headlights, however, I did not want to run the fuse wiring for the DRL’s. It was impossible for me to find the info I was looking for which was “Will the DRL lights work alone WITHOUT the fuse.” I went ahead and took the chance and bought the headlights and I am happy to say the answer is YES. All you have to do is turn on the parking lights and it looks like this..

IMG_0371.jpeg

Some people may not like that the reflector light is on as well, but it doesn’t bother me and is exactly what I was aiming for.

Second off - the LED bulb conversion.. so many people say you have to use AlphaOBD in order to avoid dash lights. So many people say their truck works fine without AlphaOBD. So, I just decided to go with higher end halogen bulbs and call it a day. That didn’t last long because the halogens sucked.. so I did as much research as I could and found two sets of LED bulbs that claim to not mess with the canbus system.

For my low beams I installed these..
For my high beams I installed these..

IMG_0388.jpeg

So far, I have had ZERO issues with dash lights being set off by these bulbs. So they have worked great for me!

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll do my best to answer!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
First off - I wanted the AlphaRex Pro series headlights, however, I did not want to run the fuse wiring for the DRL’s. It was impossible for me to find the info I was looking for which was “Will the DRL lights work alone WITHOUT the fuse.” I went ahead and took the chance and bought the headlights and I am happy to say the answer is YES. All you have to do is turn on the parking lights and it looks like this..
Being your truck has the factory projectors, the dedicated DRL wires are already at the headlight plug. If the DRL wire on the headlight is already connected to the adapter harness then you probably just need to change the programming in the BCM with AlfaOBD for the DRLs to work properly.

Darth Vader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried using canbus decoders instead of alphaobd to run leds?

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone tried using canbus decoders instead of alphaobd to run leds?
You can, but it's so much easier to just use alfaobd. Less connections, fewer things that can go wrong.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello!

To start.. my truck is a 2022 Warlock. So, my truck came with factory projectors.

I wanted to chime in here in hopes that I could help someone that may be in the same boat I was in..

View attachment 534935

Some people may not like that the reflector light is on as well, but it doesn’t bother me and is exactly what I was aiming for.

Second off - the LED bulb conversion.. so many people say you have to use AlphaOBD in order to avoid dash lights. So many people say their truck works fine without AlphaOBD. So, I just decided to go with higher end halogen bulbs and call it a day. That didn’t last long because the halogens sucked.. so I did as much research as I could and found two sets of LED bulbs that claim to not mess with the canbus system.

For my low beams I installed these..
For my high beams I installed these..

View attachment 534936

So far, I have had ZERO issues with dash lights being set off by these bulbs. So they have worked great for me!

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll do my best to answer!
Like crash said, the adapter harness you used should have included an extra connector to plug into the drl wiring on the headlight. Then the drl would function like stock.

bubba5xx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
had early set of AlphaRex. Company could not help with all the canbus issues so I returned them.