Always starts on the second crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well I have another source of frustration from my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L Quad Cab Sport Edition Beauty. It never starts on the first crank. It justs cranks away and the engine doesn't fire up. So, turn the key off and try again. IT ALWAYS STARTS THE SECOND TIME! Why is it doing this? Anyone else experience this phenomonon? Sometimes if I let it crank away on that first attempt and pump the accelerator a bunch it will start. But I figured why bother stressing myself and the old truckster out when I know it's gonna start on the second attempt. Anyone have any ideas on this one? Thanks for playing along.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you ever tried just turning the key on for a few seconds, then off, then attempt to start it the 2nd time you turn the key ? If this works, it maybe the fuel pump in the tank.

OP
OP
Woob

Woob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I tried this and yes, it does start on that second turn. Am I goinjg to lose a fuel pump soon?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my past experience, a mechanic told me just start it that way, or change the fuel pump. What causes it I have no clue. I had the fuel pump replaced as a piece of mind, and never had an issue after that. Not saying that the pump is your issue, but it sure sounds like the same problem I had.

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It may not be the actual pump going bad. There is a check valve built into the fuel system that keeps pressure from bleeding back into the tank when the pump isn't running. I'm not sure if it's in the fuel pump, the filter, or the regulator, but it's there somewhere.

Before I dove in much deeper, I'd see about a fuel pressure gauge/tester. They can be had on Amazon as cheap as $20. Connect to the fuel rail, turn the key on but don't start, and see what the pressure jumps up to, should be somewhere in the 50 psi range, if I had to guess. Turn the key off and see how quickly the pressure bleeds off. I read somewhere on a Jeep it should stay over 30 psi for 5 minutes or better. If it doesn't do this, you'd have to start looking into where the check valve is on these trucks.

If you don't get up into the 50 psi range, you're probably looking at a new pump. If you get significantly over 50, you've got regulator issues, is what I've seen elsewhere.

Of course, this is all very general, and not Ram specific. If I'm off base, I'm sure somebody will happen along to correct me before long.

Edited to add: After a little more reading and perusing the parts sites, it appears we don't have a separate fuel filter, at least on my '19 Classic Hemi. The only filter is in the tank. May be the same with the regulator, since a quick search doesn't find that part on the parts sites, either. So, if you don't care for cycling the key an extra time to start the truck, you're likely looking at a replacement fuel pump whether the actual pump is the problem or not.

Last edited:

SteadyEddie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Did you resolve your extended cranking problem? I am experiencing a similar problem with my 1997 Ram 5.9L. Starts right up cold, but on a hot restart I have to crank the engine for 5-7 seconds. Unfortunately I have no schrader valve on the fuel rail to easily test to see if fuel pressure is bleeding off. Could be a stuck injector, could be a bad regulator. But in any casy your fuel pump, regulator, and filter are all one unit, and in the tank.

Nyca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Your fuel pressure supposed to be 55-62psi.
It might be that your sending unit is going out.
When you turn your key, do you hear the fuel pump?
Turn the key to the on position, check your pressure without starting the truck.
As I mentioned above, the pressure supposed to be between 55-62psi, and it should stay there.
If it bleeds off very fast you might have a leaking injector, if you don’t reach the pressure you might have a sending unit going bad soon.