Am I being overly picky about the "orange peel" paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
oops..."picky" not "icky"

My truck has lots, I mean lots, of orange peel...everywhere. I mentioned this a few times, politely, on the Ram survey. Today I got a call from Ram and they are going to try to do what they can to make it right.

I would imagine they could re-spray the entire truck, but that seems like an awful big hassle. If it was your $50k truck, what would you do?

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Respray, automated painting was supposed to rid defects like this. It is not a hassle if you spent the money and is bugging the crap out of you.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Every Ram has orange peel that you can see a mile away. It was a flaw that I was willing to accept, given the rest of the truck. There are people who swear their trucks don't have orange peel, but they're just not as not picky.

IMO: there isn't much you can do. It's not like you couldn't see the truck before you bought it. The finish is the same as when you bought the truck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

johnnysart

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I would see if they could respray it.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From a buddy that builds hot rods and does a large chunk of the body work for them. He says factory paint is designed to be that way to hide imperfections. Every vehicle I have owned with the factory paint job on it still had somewhat of an orange peel finish. Some seem to be worse than other and some are extremely light. My truck has a factory run in the paint, now that's the first I've ever seen one of those.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why did you buy it?

But, your truck can be color sanded or wet sanded and buffed out and it will look better. You will be removing substantial amount of protection or clear coat, but it can be done fairly easy. Most two stage paint has the orange peel in the clear coat because that is what has multiple coats. The color stage or first stage is often one or two coats and also a thin coat. As for what I would do, depends on the color of the truck. If it was black, red, or yellow, I would fix it hands down. If it was silver, blue, olive, brown, white, etc I would live with it.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
From a buddy that builds hot rods and does a large chunk of the body work for them. He says factory paint is designed to be that way to hide imperfections. Every vehicle I have owned with the factory paint job on it still had somewhat of an orange peel finish. Some seem to be worse than other and some are extremely light. My truck has a factory run in the paint, now that's the first I've ever seen one of those.

My right rear door has a humongous run in it. The bottom corner of the door has about a 3/8" dried paint drip in it. But you can't see it unless you're under the door. I'm willing to live with it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's not that complicated, there is no design to it. The fact is when you have custom paint jobs that cost 10 grand they knock down the clear after every coat. Rams are mass produced, they could never afford to sand after every coat and if you don't sand after every coat, you will have peaks and valleys, and when you spray over those peaks and valley's, you will have orange peel. Just shows up more prevalent in certain colors, and some manufacturers do a better job at polishing then others after the paint.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
They also knock down the primer and the color coats. I'm not sure that any of the big three do ANY polishing of the paint once it's done. Only VERY high dollar cars get that treatment.

Paint correction can smooth some of it out, but nothing but wet sanding which can really be dangerous on the newer clear coats which are SUPER thin.

OP
OP
W

WISluggo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought the truck when it was dusk and the paint was hard to inspect. The tale gate looks like white pebbled leather (think football leather). I'll see what the dealer says. The rep from Ram was going to coordinate a visit , I will say their customer service has been nice thus far!

If I need to learn to live with it then ok

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Every Ram has orange peel that you can see a mile away. It was a flaw that I was willing to accept, given the rest of the truck. There are people who swear their trucks don't have orange peel, but they're just not as not picky.

IMO: there isn't much you can do. It's not like you couldn't see the truck before you bought it. The finish is the same as when you bought the truck.

Now you are going to have me out in the sun tomorrow looking really closely at mine. I had not really noticed orange peel texture. (But I am old)
I have found a couple of paint imperfections, but nothing I cannot live with.

and no,
I do not think the OP is being to icky. :)

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looking 'really close'? Man, my white paint is horrid, the paint on my '98, '99, '00, '11 and '13 are all orange pealed like crazy.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Mine has alot of defects too. I already had the roof repainted at the dealer. Seems the 4th gens have crappy paint jobs.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Mine isn't that bad. It being red it shows though. The '11 F150 I traded in was 10x worse with orange peel when I bought it. I spent a weekend D/A'ing it with 1000 and cutting it back to a shine. It looked a lot better. Never burned through the clear, but I'm sure I was close in a few spots. The only spots that a really bad on the Ram are the plastic painted parts. I might have to flat block those.