Another installment on Gale Banks diff cover test

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by Wild one, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
  2. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Those are great video's, we also discuss this in syn thread for guys wanting to know more, H395 has been working on this issue a bit. Bottom line, it really looks like stock diff covers are a perfect design, and these after market ones have some issues. Air is the enemy of gear fluid, and the benefit you get from more fluid doesn't make up for the air that design adds to the fluid, not to mention the fluid misses parts of the gear set. Must watch tv, good post wild.

huntergreen and Wild one like this.
  3. Joes1500

Joes1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I can just about guarantee Banks will come out with one that is a game changer. He isnt doing all this research for fun.

4. Burla

Burla Senior Member Military Member

Ram Year:
    2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Likely true, but if you think about it I think it will be quite hard to do. Even if it isn't square, it likely wont be a perfect route to the gear as stock. I'm really glad someone with banks street cred took this up and glad to the guys who found this info and brought it forward to RF. Needless to say regardless, I wont be getting an aftermarket diff cover and that was on my list. I'm just sticking with ester based redline gear fluid for my upgrade.

5. Wild one

Wild one Senior Member

Ram Year:
    14 Sport
    Engine:
    It wouldn't be hard to duplicate the channel that's in the factory covers into a new cover,you could even retrofit a tin channel into most existing covers . I agree with Joes 1500,i think Gales up to something,and it won't be long before he comes out with a cover that incorporates a lot of the original covers designs into a finned aluminium cover.

Joes1500 and Burla like this.
  6. crackerjack1957

crackerjack1957 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Funny how he brings last test up to 50 mph to show more aeration and only 30 mph on previous.

Like how this guy thinks.....

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  7. 17CrewCab1500

17CrewCab1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    But from what he is pointing out - not sure one is even needed?! Seems to be proving the stock diff cover is doing the job it was designed for and doing it well. I mean more fluid would make it cooler I guess if done right.. but with the more space between the cover and gear ring - I'd think more agitation you'd have..

Leadfoot1776James, Wild one and Burla like this.
  8. Joes1500

Joes1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

My guess is it will be shaped similar to the factory one on the inside but the outside will be built more for a cooling effect rather than increased capacity.

Wild one likes this.
  9. 69GWC

69GWC Express

Ram Year:
    2016 Ram Express QC
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi, 8sp
    Banks ia all about advertising and being a salesman and thats what all these videos are about. They will come out with there own covers and I have said that from the first vid he put out.
    How many rearends have burnt up because of overheating from a lack of lubrication from the aftermarket rear covers that hold more fluid and have better cooling.

I know after seeing pictures of the inside of my Mag-Hytec that its not square inside like Gale implys it is.

10. Joes1500

Joes1500 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

Actually mag tech just recently within the last couple years has slowly been changing their design to the newer style, which I assume you must have. Up untill then they were all pretty much identical to the one in the video.

As for how many have failed because of it , that is an unknown. But you could also ask how many have failed because of the stock one ? I guarantee there are more trucks out there with way more miles on them that dont have a aftermarket cover then ones that do.

One thing to learn about banks' video is this. Just because an aftermarket company makes it, stands by it, charges alot for it, doesn't mean it is doing you anygood.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018