Another request for help on choosing a tow vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Randy- OP here. We are a couple of weeks out from taking possession of our 2500. The hay wagon was a great illustration. Our trailer is a double axel with a dry weight of 3500- it’s a sweet little trailer! Just wondering how your illustration would change with a double axel.

Also, I have been wanting a truck for a long time. This will be our first. We use an Anderson WD hitch system. We know we will need a different drop/rise adjustable rack because we were pulling with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is new territory. Will an 8” drop work? Or is more information needed?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Our trailer is a double axel with a dry weight of 3500- it’s a sweet little trailer! Just wondering how your illustration would change with a double axel.

Your trailer's tandem axle is physically closer to each other, it would still be similar if you had a single axle trailer. You still would be carrying the tongue weight.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
This is new territory. Will an 8” drop work? Or is more information needed?

You probably need the truck there to check and see what is needed. It would be a half-a$$ed guess without it being there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Thanks! We are getting antsy waiting. It should come in the next two weeks or so. Thank you for the reply

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
Randy- OP here. We are a couple of weeks out from taking possession of our 2500. The hay wagon was a great illustration. Our trailer is a double axel with a dry weight of 3500- it’s a sweet little trailer! Just wondering how your illustration would change with a double axel.

Also, I have been wanting a truck for a long time. This will be our first. We use an Anderson WD hitch system. We know we will need a different drop/rise adjustable rack because we were pulling with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This is new territory. Will an 8” drop work? Or is more information needed?

(FYI- remember, I have same trailer as you) I needed an Anderson 8" (adjustable) drop for my Anderson no-sway weight distribution hitch. I originally had a 4" adjustable drop hitch for my Nissan Titan, and then used it on a couple short/local trips with the Ram, before getting the "correct" drop hitch. My 2500 is an older leaf sprung 2010, but I would almost guarantee the 4" drop won't get you a properly set up tow. Do remember, I think at some point they switched to a 2.5" x 2.5" receiver, instead of 2" x 2", so make sure you order the correct one for whatever your new truck has.

OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Thanks Randy! We are all set. Our receiver is a 2.5 x 2.5” and a local shop had an Andersen 8” drop shank in his shed.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Payload ratings use 150 pounds per passenger seat in the calculations which is why the highest payload ratings are found with trucks with the regular cabs and limited passenger seating.

Elk Dude:
This is not only irrelevant, it's not even true.

The highest payload rating on a particular model usually goes to the one with the biggest difference between gross weight (includes truck + fuel + anything else you install, carry, or put inside) and empty weight (no fuel even). Most likely the greatest payload goes to the one that has the lightest engine, smallest fuel tank, fewest options and smallest cab. Its simple math. Every truck is different depending on how its optioned out.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Elk Dude:
This is not only irrelevant, it's not even true.

The highest payload rating on a particular model usually goes to the one with the biggest difference between gross weight (includes truck + fuel + anything else you install, carry, or put inside) and empty weight (no fuel even). Most likely the greatest payload goes to the one that has the lightest engine, smallest fuel tank, fewest options and smallest cab. Its simple math. Every truck is different depending on how its optioned out.

Curb weight includes all fluids including fuel

EDIT: The sticker on the door is as it left the factory all options and includes weight with all fluids "full". But no cargo or passengers.

EDIT:EDIT, so for my truck it includes everything; spray in liner, 33 gallons of fuel, side steps, bed cover, etc... so my 1090 payload is real. and real low :)

Last edited:

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
That trailer is well within 1500 territory but the problem is.....are you keeping this trailer for awhile ? Most don't.

Not wife bashing here but a prime example and an expensive one at that.

Years ago bought a new Chevy Avalanche to pull a larger pop-up, wife hated trailer.
Following year traded it in on a hybrid, Avalanche struggled mightily in the mountains so bought a 1500, did well.

2 years later the wife had to have a 30 footer, 1500 struggled mightily in the mountains and the tounge weight ate up the payload so ran out and got a 2500.

I believe she's eyeing a 5th wheel now.

Got the picture ?

Next time get a new wife!

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Curb weight includes all fluids including fuel

So both the total gross weight and curb weight includes a full tank of fuel? That's good.

When I dealt with motorcycles Curb Weight = Empty Weight = Bike with with oil and lube, but no fuel.
Too many tour bikes being ridden two up are well over their weight ratings.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
So both the total gross weight and curb weight includes a full tank of fuel? That's good.

When I dealt with motorcycles Curb Weight = Empty Weight = Bike with with oil and lube, but no fuel.

I am pretty sure the sticker on the truck includes all factory options and full fluids. The government mandated it a while back.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl

no fuel in the rating would not be that big a deal..my harley holds 6 gals..less than 40#

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
no fuel in the rating would not be that big a deal..my harley holds 6 gals..less than 40#

True, but the problem was... back then the weight ratings did not account for optional equipment and most brands didn't include motor and transmission oil. So when you added up the things that were not included in empty weight, the number was significant. So much so that most tour bikes, which had optional bags and other equipment, were "overweight" just with two hefty passengers. Heck, on my FJR the the bags had warnings on them that they couldn't carry more than 10 pounds each. It was ridiculous....

But this is totally off topic to a truck forum...

:imo:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
Back on topic, did @AZ Joan get your truck yet? :)

OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Thanks for asking. The truck is on the train as of Monday, Dec 14. We were told it takes between 7-10 days to reach the dealer. We will see.

I was just planning to research the break in period. We think it’s especially important with towing. Any thoughts?

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks for asking. The truck is on the train as of Monday, Dec 14. We were told it takes between 7-10 days to reach the dealer. We will see.

I was just planning to research the break in period. We think it’s especially important with towing. Any thoughts?

I followed the owners manual

OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
We will, too. I was just wondering what the manual said.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
We will, too. I was just wondering what the manual said.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE

A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided. The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”. NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break in period. Add oil as required.

TOWING REQUIREMENTS

To promote proper break-in of your new vehicle drivetrain components, the following guidelines are recommended. Perform the maintenance listed in the “Scheduled Servicing”. Refer to “Scheduled Servicing” in “Servicing And Maintenance” for the proper maintenance intervals. When towing a trailer, never exceed the GAWR or GCWR ratings. CAUTION!  Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.  Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

OP
OP
A

AZ Joan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.2
Thank you Farmer Fran! I really didn’t expect you to get me that information but it is greatly appreciated.