Another speaker question (9 speaker Alpine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skates15

Reaction score
Mines a 16 but still has the alpine, have 3 infinity dash speakers now, always room for improvement!
Adding an alpine sub amp and 12" sub i have from my last 3rd gen very soon. I replaced rear doors with infinity also, definitely better but i would do all CDT if this wide band stuff is gonna make a difference!
Front doors are mid-bass and rear doors are full range.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn Night Edition
Engine
V8

skates15

Reaction score

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I put Kenwood 3.5" speakers in my 23 1500 to replace the stock alpine and soundstage was better but not much better. I put them in the dash and rear headliner and in the case of the headliner, the sound was louder but just so-so.

I bought the CDT Unity 8+ which are wide band speakers, only 2" and I got the 4ohm version for the dash and rear headliner (I like a bit of rear soundstage). Wow, those little wide band speakers provide both highs and tight bass response.

The rear headliner speakers are much louder even though they are 4ohms vs. OEM 2ohm and pretty clear.

Sound separation on the dash is much better from left to right, very noticeable and finally there is definition now in the sound, regardless if low or high volume.

These speakers will be even better once I get an amp/dsp, but for now I'm very satisfied that I returned the ken woods and got these.

The Kenwoods I returned were the Excel on KFC-X3C, they were no comparison to the CDT widebands.
That is the funniest and most BS I've ever heard when comparing CDTs to a set of Kenwood excelon speakers. CDTs Don't even come close to good sound quality compared to the Exelon speakers. And as soon as you said that you put them in your headliner, that eliminates all credibility right there. Because that automatically ruins your sound stage. If you think that sounds better, you definitely not an audiophile.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
As in the CDT speakers are better or worse than the big name brands like spline, kicker etc?
Guaranteed 100% of Kenwood excelon or Infiniti reference or even the base model kickers will sound better than those CDTs. They'll definitely cost more because CDTs are a budget friendly speaker. They aren't bad especially for the price but no comparison to the brands that actually put in some r&d in the equipment.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Omg. I couldn't imagine setting in some of these vehicles. The way some of you guys are talking about replacing speakers and what you're putting where will make for horrendous soundstage in the vehicle. As if the factory unit wasn't bad enough.

skates15

Reaction score
I'm not looking for credibility, just sharing my experience. I like rear soundstage, that's my preference. Some people don't like that, and that's their preference. To each their own.

The CDT speakers are wide-band and have much more clarity than the Kenwoods. The Kenwoods sounded marginally better than stock.

I could have bought audio frog, but decided on CDT based on recommendations and so far I am very happy with them.

What I hear are now is more definition at both high and low volume. The stereo sounds normal to me now where before it was muddled, even with the Kenwoods.

I'm very happy with my purchase and how it turned out and I'm sure it will get better when I add an amp/dsp.

Just because CDT is not a global brand doesn't mean they aren't good. The build quality was actually better than the Kenwoods, from what I could see.

Instead of berating members suggesting they are BS, perhaps try being helpful.

platoon2063

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6 eTorque
Can a $100 set of speakers sound as good as a $1000 set? Possibly, maybe or possibly doubtful. What sounds good is definitely subjective for the most part. We hear things differently.

With that being said, personally, I've never witnessed a $100 set sound better than a $1000 set. And now that I understand what sound quality should sound like and how it should be set up, personally, i will never install nor power up speakers in the rear of the vehicle (exception a subwoofer of course). And if I'm replacing any speakers in any automobile (my last 3 autos have had replacements) I will NEVER go without installing a DSP.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Finally had a chance really listen to the new door speakers and man what a difference! Really opened up the sound. I do not like the "soundstage" sound. I'm old school surround-sound where you feel like you are in the middle of everything, not sitting in front of it. Total immersion. Adding the Infinity Refs 2-way 6X9s to the doors improved clarity, punch, crispness, and added a lot of additional bottom end. Well worth the $100 investment and 1 hour to install.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Can a $100 set of speakers sound as good as a $1000 set? Possibly, maybe or possibly doubtful. What sounds good is definitely subjective for the most part. We hear things differently.

With that being said, personally, I've never witnessed a $100 set sound better than a $1000 set. And now that I understand what sound quality should sound like and how it should be set up, personally, i will never install nor power up speakers in the rear of the vehicle (exception a subwoofer of course). And if I'm replacing any speakers in any automobile (my last 3 autos have had replacements) I will NEVER go without installing a DSP.
Just curious, who makes a $1000 car speaker?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Finally had a chance really listen to the new door speakers and man what a difference! Really opened up the sound. I do not like the "soundstage" sound. I'm old school surround-sound where you feel like you are in the middle of everything, not sitting in front of it. Total immersion. Adding the Infinity Refs 2-way 6X9s to the doors improved clarity, punch, crispness, and added a lot of additional bottom end. Well worth the $100 investment and 1 hour to install.
You put these in the back doors as well?

REF-9632IX​

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I run 6x9 Focal 2-ways in the front doors and dash with 6x9 Focal 3-ways in the rear doors and a pair of Audiomobile 2410 EVO subs all connected to a pair of Kenwood amps and a 5-farad digital capacitor with a Kenwood head unit, and tossed in a H8 Odyssey AGM as well.

The sound detail and clarity is excellent.

Last edited:

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Focal, Blam, Audiofrog, Morel.........
Audiofrog, Gladden, etc. Pretty easy to get up that high if anyone wants to.

I have Karma Aspect mids in my dash right now, but they will be migrating to the rear headliner this weekend, since my XXM325s are supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Also replacing my SB tweeters w/ GB10s. Then I'll be done (until I decide to replace my 10s with 12s LOL)

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Now that I have replaced the door speakers the engine is incredibly loud in low gears. I don't know if the speakers effected the noise cancellation, but at low speeds and downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear there is a really loud engine droning. Really annoying.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that I have replaced the door speakers the engine is incredibly loud in low gears. I don't know if the speakers effected the noise cancellation, but at low speeds and downshifting from 4th to 3rd gear there is a really loud engine droning. Really annoying.
I have a 4th gen truck so no real experience but I’ve read several threads on this forum about the 5th gens having ANC, Active Noise Canceling units. Supposedly the harness is under the driver seat with all the seat motors and wiring or under the dash near the brake pedal. The microphones are reportedly in the headliner. There are inexpensive aftermarket bypass harnesses to circumvent the system. Sorry I can’t be of more assistance.

OP
OP
FL-RAM

FL-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I have a 4th gen truck so no real experience but I’ve read several threads on this forum about the 5th gens having ANC, Active Noise Canceling units. Supposedly the harness is under the driver seat with all the seat motors and wiring or under the dash near the brake pedal. The microphones are reportedly in the headliner. There are inexpensive aftermarket bypass harnesses to circumvent the system. Sorry I can’t be of more assistance.
Yes, the ANC system is completely separate from the stereo. I'm just curious why engine noise got significantly louder in the cab after changing out the front door speakers. It used to be dead silent in the cab...now the deep drone almost hurts your ears on low downshifts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat