Any bad experiences with Pedal Commander?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecoramtester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I've got the BD Diesel equivalent of the pedal commander in my ecodiesel. Have had it for half a year (alongside a greendiesel hot tune). Absolutely love it. Really wakes up the truck.

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good point. I shut my PC off every once in a while just to remind myself of the difference and disappointing is a good description. I cant believe RAM makes these trucks with such a lazy gas pedal

Yup, it's like a huge disconnect between foot and TB. Can't help but wonder what these Hemis would feel like with a cable throttle. Finally got mine installed a few weeks ago, first time I punched it from a stop (Sport 2), the truck actually went sideways! :eek: Feels like a shot of NOS at the hit. Now if somebody could make a plug-and-play gizmo for firmer full throttle shifts...

Russ

cdgoodling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one, and every time I would go over the mountain here in PA it would turn on the cel and go into limp mode. Contacted PC and they sent me an update, installed the update still the same. Contacted PC again and they sent me a new controller. Installed new controller and same thing. PC is currently sitting on the shelf in garage and since removing it I don't get anymore CEL or limp mode when going over the mountain. If I remember correctly the code it threw had something to do with the voltage going to the throttle body.

Bobbyc05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was in for warranty work and noticed my service department selling pedal commander. Granted they want your first born for it. I can find it 25% cheaper on amazon. I also noticed lots of people getting rid of theirs in my area for all sorts of different vehicles on Facebook marketplace. Figured they may just be switching vehicles, but it got me wondering if the price is worth it, or if anyone's had issues?

It's completely worth the money. I have had mine for several months and no issues what so ever. One of the best things I've bought for my truck. You can set it to help with MPGs, but who buys a truck for gas mileage? You won't regret it.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, it's like a huge disconnect between foot and TB. Can't help but wonder what these Hemis would feel like with a cable throttle. Finally got mine installed a few weeks ago, first time I punched it from a stop (Sport 2), the truck actually went sideways! :eek: Feels like a shot of NOS at the hit. Now if somebody could make a plug-and-play gizmo for firmer full throttle shifts...

Russ

If you want firmer shifts I'm afraid you need a custom tune and a tuner. It will make a huge difference.
Jay

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had one, and every time I would go over the mountain here in PA it would turn on the cel and go into limp mode. Contacted PC and they sent me an update, installed the update still the same. Contacted PC again and they sent me a new controller. Installed new controller and same thing. PC is currently sitting on the shelf in garage and since removing it I don't get anymore CEL or limp mode when going over the mountain. If I remember correctly the code it threw had something to do with the voltage going to the throttle body.

What setting were you using?

Magdiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got mine for pedalcommander.com.It is just a faster throttle response.You are no going to get anymore horsepower than your truck has,but you can set it so you can have better mileage if you choose.It will control your lead foot.

Magdiel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you try to switch mode while driving your check engine light comes on because there is a change on electrical current.So you need to stop and put in park then switch.

smithj603

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 BigHorn CC
Engine
I'm not sure if it was PC related yet- just heard back from them today and am going to mail it in to check hardware and software, BUT:
I've had mine installed (non bluetooth) for months with no issues- love it. Last week while pulling out of a gas station, I lightly touched the throttle and my truck accelerated out of control until I slammed on the brakes (luckily stopped without an accident) and I got an error message for pedal/throttle sensor service. I shut down, removed the PC restarted and drove home with a CEL- turned out to be code P2138 for throttle/pedal position sensor / voltage correlation. I was able to clear the code and have since been driving around for a week without the PC installed and no issues at all. I searched around on here and haven't seen any others with the lunging forward uncontrolled, but others have had this code.

Hope this helps, update to follow when I get it back from pedal commander

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
City +2

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I've heard of your issue running it in eco as the voltage is lower than oem so it throws a code and goes into limp mode! Only settings I used in city are +3 & +4..never an issue.
Im running mine now at sport -3 but thats because I have a Pulsar and its less jumpy there.

Romesr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just installed one on my 16 Ram R/T more fun to drive now than before. I do turn it off because my wife drives it alot

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you try to switch mode while driving your check engine light comes on because there is a change on electrical current.So you need to stop and put in park then switch.

I have a old unit,(read 2 year old non bluetooth), and change settings ALOT while driving although NEVER at strong acceleration. Never a problem so far....knocking on wood...lol

RASelkirk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want firmer shifts I'm afraid you need a custom tune and a tuner. It will make a huge difference.
Jay

Yup! Was hoping someone would develop a plug-in system like this OBDII Genie for other, less esoteric functions. $300 beats a grand every time...

Russ