Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Risk vs. Reward, it is more Rewarding on road to have the setup they picked, it is easier for that 1% to modify their rigs vs 99% to modify to have a safe non-damaging on road all wheel drive option.

If you mean picking between the auto type cases available to FCA, I don't see the damage differences. Both the 44-44 and 3023 types are unlocked normally on road. For the 44, there has to be some wheel slip to lock the clutches, for the 3023 its the computer that locks it, so it can be locked at low speed and while stopped, then automatically gradually unlocked as road speed increases. Over simplification, for sure, but the traction software can adjust for various conditions automatically. GM choses to give the 3023 driver a 4Hi Lock option that may have damage risk, but Jeep doesn't... thats a software thing.

I don't know which setup is less likely to overheat/burn up case clutches during "abuse".

Some don't like computers involved, however :)

The 44-45 seems to be the more traditional case which locks up mechanically upon operator selection. Not comparing that one.

In deep snow, the V8 JGC will just move off without drama, the V8 RAM will always spin the tires, given similar tires, both have limited slip rear difs. They happen to have near the same wheelbase, but quite different weight distribution and width. Most of the "other" characteristics are more of a factor while moving down the road. Spinning tires is good for some folks :)

I guess you just have to drive a 3023 to understand how much better it works than a 44-44, especially when combined with the automatic computer controlled locking rear dif. The risk/reward is more subjective, I think.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you mean picking between the auto type cases available to FCA, I don't see the damage differences. Both the 44-44 and 3023 types are unlocked normally on road. For the 44, there has to be some wheel slip to lock the clutches, for the 3023 its the computer that locks it, so it can be locked at low speed and while stopped, then automatically gradually unlocked as road speed increases. Over simplification, for sure, but the traction software can adjust for various conditions automatically. GM choses to give the 3023 driver a 4Hi Lock option that may have damage risk, but Jeep doesn't... thats a software thing.

I don't know which setup is less likely to overheat/burn up case clutches during "abuse".

Some don't like computers involved, however :)

The 44-45 seems to be the more traditional case which locks up mechanically upon operator selection. Not comparing that one.

In deep snow, the V8 JGC will just move off without drama, the V8 RAM will always spin the tires, given similar tires, both have limited slip rear difs. They happen to have near the same wheelbase, but quite different weight distribution and width. Most of the "other" characteristics are more of a factor while moving down the road. Spinning tires is good for some folks :)

I guess you just have to drive a 3023 to understand how much better it works than a 44-44, especially when combined with the automatic computer controlled locking rear dif. The risk/reward is more subjective, I think.

My guess is risk/reward includes more than just slippage prior to locking. There are many more components that have added wear and tear downstream. The less "locked" a transfer case is the less wear and tear on components such as steering components and front axles (shafts and CV joints).

The question is, does the 44 get anyone stuck on road specifically because of the TC locking characteristics? I haven't had this truck through a NY winter yet, so that is an honest question. But even without experience, I'm guessing the truck performs fine, as I haven't seen any 4th Gen trucks stuck in the past while I had my 3rd Gen.

I'm still assuming that since it is electrically locked, it is simply a feature that can be tweaked, be it through adding a manual 12v/variable v switch to lock it, or through an future update from FCA.

Even with this, I will still bet 99% of trucks owners with the 44 have no problem with the current setup. If the 1% really does have an issue, add that to the list of offroad modifications required.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm still assuming that since it is electrically locked, it is simply a feature that can be tweaked, be it through adding a manual 12v/variable v switch to lock it, or through an future update from FCA.

There's a brown wire going to the clutch on the 44-44 so it is feasible to wire in a "lock" switch. Someone was looking into doing this but I never heard anymore on it. I personally would love to see that done

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All that wire will do is activate the system to apply the clutch assembly. The system still has a centrifugal system that needs spin to lock up. Someone went into some crazy details on this transfer case that basically shows there is no way to manually lock it completely.

So far I've been really lucky that every situation that I needed 4wd, especially not having a rear locker its gotten me where I needed. If I leave in 4auto and go through my neighborhood at 10-15 it will hard unlock every bend and i can feel it.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All that wire will do is activate the system to apply the clutch assembly. The system still has a centrifugal system that needs spin to lock up. Someone went into some crazy details on this transfer case that basically shows there is no way to manually lock it completely.

If that is the case, I wouldn't doubt that someone can have some type of swap that will address this. If there is enough interest (and I still think there might not be), someone will develop it. Some examples:

With my year Audi A4 you can send your center diff (transfer case) to a company and they will modify it to make it rear biased. From the factory it is front biased.

Teraflex makes (or made) a front half replacement for the NP231 transfer case that changed the low range from 2.71:1 to 4:1 (when I got mine it was $750, but eventually went up to $1k)

So far I've been really lucky that every situation that I needed 4wd, especially not having a rear locker its gotten me where I needed. If I leave in 4auto and go through my neighborhood at 10-15 it will hard unlock every bend and i can feel it.

This is what I think 99% of 44 owners will say, it works for my needs.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RSG made a kit to replace the clutch pack to a mechanical lock up like the 44-45 but from what I've read it appears '15 and up won't shift back to 2wd or something. It's been awhile since I've followed up on this...........

And as much as I hate to praise the 44-44, it actually worked well for me backing up a loaded trailer up a hill in my front yard in low without spinning a tire, pic dosent really do it any justice but I was a bit concerned about tearing up my new front yard

Attachments

• IMG_3289.jpg
    IMG_3289.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Mine is just fine because out of ALL of those hurricanes, we're in a freaking drought here in Southern Illinois.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RSG made a kit to replace the clutch pack to a mechanical lock up like the 44-45 but from what I've read it appears '15 and up won't shift back to 2wd or something. It's been awhile since I've followed up on this...........

And as much as I hate to praise the 44-44, it actually worked well for me backing up a loaded trailer up a hill in my front yard in low without spinning a tire, pic dosent really do it any justice but I was a bit concerned about tearing up my new front yard

Often you do get lucky and it doesn't matter, but I did tear up the lawn just a bit recently maneuvering a 14 foot enclosed trailer with maybe 5000 lb inside. Nothing more than a little turf adjustment didn't correct.

There are so many variables, but I guess one POV is that the TC could be much better in terms of margin.... and should be better in a truck. :) You really don't know the -44 limits until you cross them, and then its annoying. Life is full of compromise, however. IMHO, the -44 compromise is more suitable to a SUV than a truck and RAM engineers missed the boat on this one. Its disappointing that the RAM engineers didn't push back the bean counters on this one. Maybe the 1500 is not considered a real truck in FCA's POV ?

Last edited:

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Often you do get lucky and it doesn't matter, but I did tear up the lawn just a bit recently maneuvering a 14 foot enclosed trailer with maybe 5000 lb inside. Nothing more than a little turf adjustment didn't correct.

There are so many variables, but I guess one POV is that the TC could be much better in terms of margin.... and should be better in a truck. :) You really don't know the -44 limits until you cross them, and then its annoying. Life is full of compromise, however. IMHO, the -44 compromise is more suitable to a SUV than a truck and RAM engineers missed the boat on this one. Its disappointing that the RAM engineers didn't push back the bean counters on this one. Maybe the 1500 is not considered a real truck in FCA's POV ?

This is my second 1500, I don't consider 1/2 ton trucks as "real trucks" especially Ram's. Low towing limits, low payload ratings (if you have 5 guys in a crew cab, you can't really carry any cargo). There are grand cherokees with 7k towing limits (almost on par with a lot of the 1500's), 3/4 ton and up to me are real trucks. The 1500's are suv's with the ability to carry taller cargo in the bed than a suburban.

I believe this TC is perfect for on-road. If you go off-road, yeah, it will leave a lot to be desired. But, I think the engineers designed a TC that fits 99% of 1500 ram owners actual usage.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I have found the limits of the 44-44...........twice! I've posted in a few threads voicing my disappointment and frustration with this tc. I don't like it but I figured to be fair and maintain integrity I needed to share this instance in which it performed ok and I honestly thought it would not. The fact I was concerned if it was going to work as I needed is evidence enough of its short comings. More often that not you won't find me giving much love for the 44-44.

About 2 months ago I did indeed tear up some grass at my in-laws. Wish I would have had my phone..........put the truck in 4lo to pull out an old fence post, both rear wheels spinning at idle, front not moving an inch. Post was holding truck in place, I even hopped out to push on the tow strap and it was slack enough for me to move it. WHAT A JOKE!!!! Point being instead of being locked up and the front tires maintaining traction to keep all 4 tires still, my truck is spinning wheels and can be pushed side to side by me lightly nudging the bed.

Last edited:

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I posted in one of the other threads about the status of the RSG kit. Long story short George at RSG is not selling the kits because they won't shift out of 4lo and it appears to be a programming issue. I found all of this out when I tried to buy a kit for my truck

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would like to try a 44-45 swap then get the non 4Auto controls. Has anyone done this?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a '13 I believe you can just swap the case. Auto would function the same as 4 loc......

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted in one of the other threads about the status of the RSG kit. Long story short George at RSG is not selling the kits because they won't shift out of 4lo and it appears to be a programming issue. I found all of this out when I tried to buy a kit for my truck

What year is your truck? That's stinks about the kit, it looked very promising. I guess I should have grabbed one when I had the chance

VA10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would like to try a 44-45 swap then get the non 4Auto controls. Has anyone done this?

I asked my local dealer about this. It would not work....Some programming issues would occur related to the computer systems......I figured BS. My truck is a 14 though. I do not have the funds to risk it not working.

PLEASE TRY THE SWAP AND TELL US IF IT WORKS!!!! I want to do it as well.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I asked my local dealer about this. It would not work....Some programming issues would occur related to the computer systems......I figured BS. My truck is a 14 though. I do not have the funds to risk it not working.

PLEASE TRY THE SWAP AND TELL US IF IT WORKS!!!! I want to do it as well.
I'll look for a used 45 and if I find one for a decent price I'll swap it. My guess is there will be TCM codes because it's looking for a clutch to engage...

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd be curious if the computer would go haywire........since the tcase would be locked there really wouldn't be any slip detected front to rear so it would never signal the tcase to lock the clutches.......BUT since the case is locked already I would think it wouldn't matter as it would be sending a signal to something that is already locked/engahed (though that could be a problem I guess). I'm thinking/hoping it would work since the axle disconnect is engaged in Auto and lock (front end is spinning, ready for power from the tcase) and it has nothing to do with the tcase clutches locking up or not..............

Who knows!?!?!?

Last edited:

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll look for a used 45 and if I find one for a decent price I'll swap it. My guess is there will be TCM codes because it's looking for a clutch to engage...

I may have misread, but I think you will have the same problem as the RSG kit had. No codes are set, but they never was able to figure out how to get back into 2WD from 4lo and also disconnect the front axle.

I read somewhere of one swap from a 44-44 to a 44-45 as they will bolt right up, but couldn't get the shift motor to work right without taking it apart and manually setting it. Regardless of switches. If all you need is 2Hi and 4Hi Lock, then they work fine.

Just saying, set up your deal such that you can return the 44-45 and get your money back :)

I'll guess some clever and motivated programer can set up a cheap pi computer with some hardware to look like a transfer case to the drivetrain controller, and get the shift motor to do what we want... but thats a lot of work. RSG could not get it to work with switches and buttons. Must be harder than we think.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What year is your truck? That's stinks about the kit, it looked very promising. I guess I should have grabbed one when I had the chance

My truck is a 2013. George informed me that while he has approximately 100 of these kits in stock he hasn't been selling them. He told me that the issue is that the transfer case not shifting into 2wd after its been in 4wd low. It affects all years of Ram 1500 with the BW 44-44, not just the 15 and up trucks. As of now George has abandoned the RSG kit as he cannot determine how to make the computer programming work with his kit. The kit works perfect from 2wd to 4lock and back but thats it.