Anyone know how the eTorque really works?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Read all the brochures, watched a dozen videos, even asked the dealer, all have the same explanation of what it does, but not how it works. Especially with the starts and take off.

I was a Ford guy, but got after my second failed ecoboost, I decided to try a different brand. Dealer had this eTorque thing, I'm used to the start-stop on the Ford, figured it couldn't be any worse... and it's not, but it's definitely different.

Driving mine so far has been like driving a DCT. When I start it and put it in reverse or drive, it doesn't go into gear until you left off the brake... and then you feel it "slide" in. Like it has a separate clutch or doesn't charge the T.C. until the brake is off.
Does the same thing when you come to a stop, but it's more annoying. Sitting at a red light or stop sign, you can tell it's not engaged, let off the brake and it kicks in. Does it even when the start-stop button is off. Decent amount of stops signs here out in the sticks, really annoying creeping your way up to the stop sign in traffic.

Anyone know what happens when the transmission "disengages", does it have a separate clutch or is there something else going on?

DaRealSully

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi MDS
I just ordered a 2022 Warlock 5.7 MDS (no eTorque) and went non-eTorque for 2 reasons. 1. I saw what they were charging for replacement of that briefcase battery that sits behind the passenger seat and how easy (not) it was to find one in stock, and 2.) I asked at several stealerships if they could tell me if the truck would function as a non-eTorque V8 if the hybrid part died... None of them could answer that question and I don't like getting stranded...

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Mine doesn't. I shut the damned thing off. Cannot figure out how shutting down the engine for a few seconds at a light saves enough gas to make sense. And one trip thru a busy drive thru sealed the deal. If I could figure out how to remove it, I would.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
OH. Just what the heck is "MDS"? I know I'll feel stupid for asking, but I just can't figure it out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Anyone know what happens when the transmission "disengages", does it have a separate clutch or is there something else going on?
The 8HP transmissions have like three clutches in them along with a torque converter. The transmission has to disengage when the engine stops in part so it's easier to restart. Also without the engine spinning the pump in the transmission doesn't produce pressure that use to shift and engage clutches.
As for the eTorque system it's just an electric motor that drives the gas motor when stopped and helps with fill in torque.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine off means no pressure in the transmission which is that delayed start. The etorque is just there to help with takeoff as that’s the hardest on the engine fuel wise. You can disable the start stop by cranking your ac to max since the ac system will tell the truck to keep the engine running to keep the compressor on. Shutting off the engine has been a big thing overseas and they have actual reports on fuel savings if you do research on it. Small amounts but the world is set on saving as much as possible. Same reason MDS and the AGS are there.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mine doesn't. I shut the damned thing off. Cannot figure out how shutting down the engine for a few seconds at a light saves enough gas to make sense. And one trip thru a busy drive thru sealed the deal. If I could figure out how to remove it, I would.
Search on "autostop eliminator". It was the best hundred bucks I've spent on a vehicle. No more pressing the button every time I start the truck. Simple to install and works flawlessly. And you can turn stop/start back on using the factory switch if there's ever a reason you want it active.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Search on "autostop eliminator". It was the best hundred bucks I've spent on a vehicle. No more pressing the button every time I start the truck. Simple to install and works flawlessly. And you can turn stop/start back on using the factory switch if there's ever a reason you want it active.
Do you have a link to what you used?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Seriously, did you even search? Here's the link to their website...
Why would i search,i don't own a e-torque truck,and i'm not that curious to look. Now i'll throw it back at you,why didn't you post the link when you were typing,is it that hard to put a link up to what you are referring to.As a mod on here you should be able to figure out alot of guys will look at a link,but won't search it out

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Why would i search,i don't own a e-torque truck,and i'm not that curious to look. Now i'll throw it back at you,why didn't you post the link when you were typing,is it that hard to put a link up to what you are referring to.As a mod on here you should be able to figure out alot of guys will look at a link,but won't search it out
Haha, as long as we're playing catch...why did you ask for a link if you don't own an etorque? If you wanted to help the guys you described you could have searched and added it yourself. It would have taken about the same amount of time as asking for the link. As a user you can search and provide links for guys who might not search on their own. It's been a couple years since I bought the thing and I wasn't really sure what the url was. If I know a link I will provide it. In this instance I wasn't sure so I searched after you asked for the link and provided it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Haha, as long as we're playing catch...why did you ask for a link if you don't own an etorque? If you wanted to help the guys you described you could have searched and added it yourself. It would have taken about the same amount of time as asking for the link. As a user you can search and provide links for guys who might not search on their own. It's been a couple years since I bought the thing and I wasn't really sure what the url was. If I know a link I will provide it. In this instance I wasn't sure so I searched after you asked for the link and provided it.
Little tidbit for you,i usually add the link i'm referring to,if you haven't noticed. With the amount of bitchingg you're doing,you leave a whole lot to be desired as a moderator goes,just my 02 :rolleyes: ;). With that i'm out as you're boring the hell out of me now,i have better things to do,then to listen to you bud

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Little tidbit for you,i usually add the link i'm referring to,if you haven't noticed. With the amount of bitchingg you're doing,you leave a whole lot to be desired as a moderator goes,just my 02 :rolleyes: ;). With that i'm out as you're boring the hell out of me now,i have better things to do,then to listen to you bud
If you have a problem with me send me a private message.

Lets get this thread back on track.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sledgehammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8HP transmissions have like three clutches in them along with a torque converter. The transmission has to disengage when the engine stops in part so it's easier to restart. Also without the engine spinning the pump in the transmission doesn't produce pressure that use to shift and engage clutches.
As for the eTorque system it's just an electric motor that drives the gas motor when stopped and helps with fill in torque.
I'll have to look into that further. The Ford 10 speed actually has a small electric pump in the transmission that keeps enough pressure to keep the clutches engaged. It uses the starter to restart the engine so it shakes when it does start... the eTorque doesn't shake when it restarts, but it does jerk on take off.