Anyone know if there`s a rebuild kit for electric steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandy Vincze

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I grab the steering shaft on my 2014 Ram there`s play in the actual gear box, I`m thinking bearing or maybe even the shaft. Has anyone rebuilt theirs at all if so where can I find a rebuild kitÉ

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just to be clear ....When you say 'gearbox' are you referring to like a 2500 old-school gearbox? Or a 1500 EPS steering ram (play at the 'input' stub-shaft)?

If it's an old school Saganaw-style actual gearbox you're talking about, yeah, they are rebuildable. I've done several steering boxes. Not that difficult. But not a job for a guy with beginner or intermediate mechanical skills either.

Steering *rams* that input bearing/bushing is usually replaceable too. There are some videos on the subject. And I have seen some kits available for some other vehicle steering rack n pinion rams ...but I haven't looked for a Dodge Ram 'steering ram' bushing/bearing. That might be one where you need to take it apart and have a look at what the problem is. If it's a bearing, you should be able to replace it. If its a bushing, then you'd have to do some hunting. Maybe consult a rebuilding company (that does steering rams) for advice (or a part). Or if you're really resourceful, mold or machine a new one out of plastic or bronze.

Have you verified that there isn't a flex coupler or joint at the bottom of the steering shaft (where it attaches to the steering box/ram stub shaft) that isn't sloppy? Usually there's a joint at the bottom of the lower steering shaft ...and that joint can get sloppy.

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Since you said electric steering, assuming you are referring to a 1500. If you are feeling play in the steering,bits most likely the intermediate shaft and not the steering rack. There's a joint that will go bad and cause the steering to become stiff or wander. Hope for the shaft, because the rack is not cheap, not is it easy to get at the moment.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It’s in the title.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OP said "gear box" and made no reference to EPS.
He said electric, and plenty of people will use the term gear box in referring to the rack since they aren't as familiar with the front ends of these trucks.