Anyone own a charger 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
I'm in love with the simplicity (and reliability) of my 2006 RAM 1500 V6.
Thinking about getting a charger 4wd.
Is it the same simple design and ease of DIY?
(Perhaps not as easy to DIY as the RAM pickup but say compared to an Audi or Mustang)

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They term it AWD but it depends on what year you're looking at. Earlier LX is pretty simple, later LD is little more complicated.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you absolutely need the AWD? I'd suggest an R/T and a set of snow tires for winter. Cost difference between a GT AWD and an R/T isn't that big... and Hemi is a lot of fun.

As far as easy to work on... sadly no, everything is computerized. I'd recommend going with an extended warranty from the jump.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
We have a local cop come to our car meets fairly often with his company car,and it's a fairly new AWD Charger with a 5.7 and the 8 speed,i'm not sure why FCA doesn't offer the same car to the general public.
Our local police departments mile them out,before they go to auction,otherwise they'd be a great car to pick up for a winter toy

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We have a local cop come to our car meets fairly often with his company car,and it's a fairly new AWD Charger with a 5.7 and the 8 speed,i'm not sure why FCA doesn't offer the same car to the general public.
Because 100% of their production of Hemi AWD models goes to government. They don't have capacity to make any more for civilians. You have to buy a retired one from auction if you want one, and they go quick when they pop up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Because 100% of their production of Hemi AWD models goes to government. They don't have capacity to make any more for civilians. You have to buy a retired one from auction if you want one, and they go quick when they pop up.
They do go quick at auctions when they show up,but buying a miled out cop car,isn't high on my buying list,lol.
If a guy found one that a higher up / older mountie had drove from new,and wasn't used in traffic detail,that one might be a good buy,but the ones that see a couple differant drivers on a weekly basis,and are used on a daily basis in traffic detail,i'd be a bit leary of.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My coworker has a 2020 awd charger he likes it. I perfer the 5.7l challenger had them from 2010-2021 thats when I bought my ram

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 19 R/T Charger RWD and it was loads of fun. I had to drive it in some Texas snow and it did fine.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Step-son is a detective and has a 2013-ish Charger AWD take home car and just said the other day he loves the car. He is involved in pursuits at least a couple of times a month and said it handles great

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My coworker has a 2020 awd charger he likes it. I perfer the 5.7l challenger had them from 2010-2021 thats when I bought my ram
There's lots of AWD Chargers / Challengers / 300's up here,but they're all 3.6's. The 5.7 with an 8 speed and AWD,has never been offered to the general buying public as far as i know.There's nothing wrong with the 3.6,but they do make a police spec 5.7 / 8 speed AWD,which would probably sell like gang busters if it was offered to the general buying public

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's lots of AWD Chargers / Challengers / 300's up here,but they're all 3.6's. The 5.7 with an 8 speed and AWD,has never been offered to the general buying public as far as i know.There's nothing wrong with the 3.6,but they do make a police spec 5.7 / 8 speed AWD,which would probably sell like gang busters if it was offered to the general buying public
Yes I am aware of that my coworker has a 3.6l i was just saying what I prefer thats all lol

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 19 R/T Charger RWD and it was loads of fun. I had to drive it in some Texas snow and it did fine.
Most people who have AWD don't really need it. It makes them overconfident and gets them in trouble. How did folks in the snow belt get around before the proliferation of AWD vehicles in the 21st century? Snow tires, chains and learning how to drive. People today have been coddled too much by tech. They are soft and weak.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Most people who have AWD don't really need it. It makes them overconfident and gets them in trouble. How did folks in the snow belt get around before the proliferation of AWD vehicles in the 21st century? Snow tires, chains and learning how to drive. People today have been coddled too much by tech. They are soft and weak.
Oh the humanity! We drove real cars with no safety like TC. If it spun it spun.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a true statement...I learned how to drive in the snow using rwd with my first car (66 Chevelle) back in the late 70's. And drove rwd cars and trucks here until the mid 90's when I bought my first fwd car. I never even owned a 4wd/awd vehicle until about 2001. But that doesn't mean I want to do that again. 4wd/awd isn't a necessity, but since I'm the one making the purchase I'll always opt for it as long as I'm living in a place that sees a lot of winter weather.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I grew up in a farming community in Canada,and we learned winter driving with pegleg rwd 1/2 tons,if you put it in the ditch you were shoveling or walking if it was to stuck to dig out with a scoop shovel.A couple times in the ditch and a several mile walk at -30 quickly taught you how to drive ,lol

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Our local police departments mile them out,before they go to auction,otherwise they'd be a great car to pick up for a winter toy

I wonder what they changed to get the 8 speed in the hemi equipped Chargers. In 2019 they told us the hemi + 8 speed + AWD gear box woudn't physically fit in the 2020 Charger. We had to order either Hemi/6 speed/AWD or V6/8 speed/AWD via fleet sales.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder what they changed to get the 8 speed in the hemi equipped Chargers. In 2019 they told us the hemi + 8 speed + AWD gear box woudn't physically fit in the 2020 Charger. We had to order either Hemi/6 speed/AWD or V6/8 speed/AWD via fleet sales.
That i wouldn't know,he claims it has the 8 speed,but i've never actually got out of my lawn chair to go look.But he's a gearhead who also owns a 2018 6.4 Challenger with the 8 spead,so i'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My first car was a 1972 Cutlass one wheelie peelie. Drove that in the snow my first 3 winters driving. Had 4WD ever since then

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That i wouldn't know,he claims it has the 8 speed,but i've never actually got out of my lawn chair to go look.But he's a gearhead who also owns a 2018 6.4 Challenger with the 8 spead,so i'm assuming he knows what he's talking about.

He's probably right. I went to fleet sales and saw it says you get the 8 speed on the 2023 before I opened my mouth and said it's impossible to get the V8/8sp like I thought. Which means either they changed something or a fleet rep lied to us (or was honestly mistaken). I won't lay odds as to which is which.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LMAO I moved from southern CA to Indiana in January 95 with my 1st car '89 TBird. I learned how to drive in snow real quick. Never even seen snow b4 except on TV lol. I ended up in a few ditches till I got the hang of it, I'd just turned 20 when I came out here. Man that was fun.
My friend is 28 he was crying that he can't drive his 6banger Mustang in the snow! I'm like dude, I drove my '79 Malibu with a souped up 350 and a turbo400 tranny and posi in the snow all the time, maybe I drove sideways down the road but I did it and I was younger than him then. Man kids these days haha!
That was how you learn to DRIVE not just sit behind the wheel!