Anyone own a charger 4wd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He's probably right. I went to fleet sales and saw it says you get the 8 speed on the 2023 before I opened my mouth and said it's impossible to get the V8/8sp like I thought. Which means either they changed something or a fleet rep lied to us (or was honestly mistaken). I won't lay odds as to which is which.
Dodge changed something pretty recently and started offering Hemi with the 8-speed and AWD for govt sales... but yes prior to this they used the older 6-speed unit, complete with column shifter from a Ram pickup. I'm thinking perhaps it's that they finally used up all the 6-speed transmissions that were left for the factory. Manufacturers make a lot of decisions based on what parts they have stock of.

OP
OP
No H2O

No H2O

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
V6
Most people who have AWD don't really need it. It makes them overconfident and gets them in trouble. How did folks in the snow belt get around before the proliferation of AWD vehicles in the 21st century? Snow tires, chains and learning how to drive. People today have been coddled too much by tech. They are soft and weak.
I agree but I have three things working against me.
First is moving to Pittsburgh where it's not only bad weather, the roads are narrow one lane roads that are also hilly and curvy. I've driven three RWD vehicles up there in winter (one of which was a rear engine / RWD so there was weight over the drivetrain) and in each case they slid down a hill, scary feeling. The FWD vehicles weren't as bad and the 4WDs were fine.
Second is I have a bad back so lifting sand bags to weigh down the RWD RAM each time there's slippery weather (often)
Third is time, now tires is one thing but I'm not confident enough in them, putting on chains each time would be too time consuming

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I agree but I have three things working against me.
First is moving to Pittsburgh where it's not only bad weather, the roads are narrow one lane roads that are also hilly and curvy. I've driven three RWD vehicles up there in winter (one of which was a rear engine / RWD so there was weight over the drivetrain) and in each case they slid down a hill, scary feeling. The FWD vehicles weren't as bad and the 4WDs were fine.
Second is I have a bad back so lifting sand bags to weigh down the RWD RAM each time there's slippery weather (often)
Third is time, now tires is one thing but I'm not confident enough in them, putting on chains each time would be too time consuming
There's actually quite a few awd Challengers and Chargers in Canada,and they seem to be well loved summer and winter,although the majority are 3.6's with the 8 speed.My buddy actually ran his 2019 awd 3.6 Challenger yesterday at the track,and he was clicking off very low 15's with it,and he'd never been on a dragstrip before in his life.With a few more passes he might have got a high 14 out of it,as the track didn't get going till 1:30 and there was a pile of cars,so he only got 3 passes in,before he had to leave,but his best pass was a 15.06 at 93 mph,so the little 3.6 isn't even to bad for power with the 8 speed behind it. I'd never really considered one before that,but now i'm thinking they'd be a decent daily driver year round

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd never really considered one before that,but now i'm thinking they'd be a decent daily driver year round
It's not a bad combination. The 3.6 is still 300hp, which was V8 territory not twenty years ago. It's not "fast" by any stretch of the imagination, 0-60 in the mid 6's, but it's got enough power to not feel anemic. These new four banger econobox "fuel miser" cars you've got to flog the crap out of in order to get around certainly don't inspire confidence when one is behind the wheel.

If you are in an area where AWD is a must your options for cars are pretty limited anyways. Charger is big and heavy, which doesn't do it any performance favors but does make it very comfortable and easy to live with. The back seat and trunk are quite spacious and it just eats up the highway miles. I see why cops love these things.