Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’m still having trouble with mine. They work fine when I test everything out while parked, but when driving and activating the turn signals they work fine for about 3-4 flashes then I get a message that says left turn signal out and get the quick blinker. Same thing on both sides

Sounds like you perhaps require resistors or need to get the AlfaOBD app and set the lighting to LED turns/park lights so the truck isn't looking for incandescent bulbs.

@vhmike73 is correct. You'll either have to add resistors or change the settings with alphaobd. I have mine set to led with alphaobd and have zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I appreciate the info guys. But now I have 2 questions.
1. What type of resistors and where do they need to be placed?
2. How much is the alphaobd and where do I get it?
I guess technically that’s 4 questions.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For the resistors, it’s hard to say because it really depends on what type and how many LEDs are being run on the boards, and what alpharex has already tried compensating for with the drivers to know what load is lacking that the BCM is looking for to not throw an error. I do know that when going from quads to factory projectors, a 6 ohm/50 watt resistor is used for each turn signal circuit and parking light circuit on each headlight (4 resistors total), so, I guess those would be a good starting point. You just tap one end into the turn signal circuit and ground the other end (resistors are non polar), and the same for the parking circuit.

The AlfaOBD setup can be had for ~$125. Its $50 for the app and $65-$80 for the OBD interface depending on the price fluctuation on amazon. Everything you need to know about using it and some popular known working settings are in the first post of this thread- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

It’s an invaluable tool to have, especially if you plan on adding other factory upgrades in the future, but if you don’t think the alfa is something you want, I would definitely call alpharex directly and see if they have a solution yet, or what they would recommend. They might just send you out something to try.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

Resistors I'm not sure but guessing 50w 1 for parking light and 1 for turn.

Alphaobd is $50 from Google play store or for windows. It's recommend to use obdlink mx(+) which will cost $70-90 but the elm327 has been reported to work also which is about $15. Me personally would go the alphaobd route. It's pricey but gives you a lot more options

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Again you guys with the info are invaluable. I can’t say thank you enough. I’ll definitely be looking into the alfaobd.
In the meantime
I emailed modifystreet through Amazon and got an email back that said if my truck did not have DRLs from the factory I would need to connect the “extra wire”. I have no idea what that is and they included this picture.

BC6E691A-3F9B-4110-A3C4-F9F76E8BE019.jpeg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Again you guys with the info are invaluable. I can’t say thank you enough. I’ll definitely be looking into the alfaobd.
In the meantime
I emailed modifystreet through Amazon and got an email back that said if my truck did not have DRLs from the factory I would need to connect the “extra wire”. I have no idea what that is and they included this picture.

View attachment 162046
Each headlight has a red wire coming out of it. In the picture, the two wires under “headlights” will get plugged into the red wire on each headlight. Under “battery”, the red wire goes to the battery positive, and the black wire gets grounded. Under “fuse box ignition”, pick any fuse in the fuse box that will be hot when the ignition is on and tap the fuse with that wire. The DRLs will be on anytime the engine is running. If you want to get fancy, you could even run a switch off the ignition trigger wire so you can turn them on and off anytime you want.
If you go with the alfaobd, you can get rid of the relay harness and wire the red DRL wires right to the DRL circuits under the fuse box and enable the dedicated DRL circuits with the alfaobd. 1500ram12 posted some part numbers for those terminals a few posts back, but we can cross that bridge if you decide to go that route.

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thanks Jimmy,
I'm gonna take a look at things again tonight after work. With what you said above will I still need to install some resistors?

You don't happen to be in Kansas do ya?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks Jimmy,
I'm gonna take a look at things again tonight after work. With what you said above will I still need to install some resistors?

If you don't use alphaobd then yes you'll need resistors for turn/park

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If you don't use alphaobd then yes you'll need resistors for turn/park

Thanks,

Is there a picture or can someone tell me which color wire I need to tap into?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Thanks,

Is there a picture or can someone tell me which color wire I need to tap into?

Give me a few minutes to find what's what but if you can (it should be the same plug for low/high as it is for turn/park) take the "extension" off of the headlight feed on the headlights (blue/black /white wires) disconnect the socket for the park/turn bulb and see if that extension will work in between the socket and the truck's wiring. If it works then it'll be better taping into that then the factory wiring

What year is your truck? Half or 3/4 ton

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2015 Ram 2500. I really appreciate all you help. I am completely lost at this point.

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'll also try to get some pictures tonight of the resistors I have and a picture of the wiring.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I'll also try to get some pictures tonight of the resistors I have and a picture of the wiring.

If the extension off of the headlight fits in between the socket and the truck's harness

08fe153fe3b2a8fc05d855c75205cd58.jpg

You'd add a resistor to park feed and the turn feed on the extension harness then the other end of the resistor to a ground

9c3f254fa9e7aa580a30cb00a9cb1471.jpg

This is how they should line up

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If the extension off of the headlight fits in between the socket and the truck's harness

08fe153fe3b2a8fc05d855c75205cd58.jpg

You'd add a resistor to park feed and the turn feed on the extension harness then the other end of the resistor to a ground

9c3f254fa9e7aa580a30cb00a9cb1471.jpg

This is how they should line up

I can’t thank you enough. I’ll give it a look tonight. Just having the info makes me wanna leave work now and work on it!

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was not able to get that plug to work on my truck. That extension pigtail would not plug into my headlight harness on the truck.

Without that pigtail, plugged in perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
7CB20D4E-EE6D-40C6-A4C8-ADD64E6D067E.jpeg Does it matter if I put the resistors before or after the connector?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
View attachment 162194 Does it matter if I put the resistors before or after the connector?

16505af91d0380953419ab57957fb7b3.jpg

So you want to disconnect that harness from the headlight and move it to the turn/park harness by removing the socket from the truck's harness. place the extension harness you just removed and connect the socket to one end and the other to the truck's harness. That way your adding the resistors to the extension harness and not touching your factory harness

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View attachment 162194 Does it matter if I put the resistors before or after the connector?
Take that extension harness that you are holding in your left hand and unplug it where you have the red circle. Then plug it into the back of the bulb socket connector that you took off of your quad lights (the connector that you “screwed” into the hole on the new headlights. Tap that extension harness just like 1500ram12 posted for you.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
bfd6fc62910684a2d15f596977ca7c2b.jpg

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I do have a question before you do all of this with that extension harness. @TatertotScott mentioned above that it won’t plug into the truck harness. If it’s like the one I received, it won’t fit either. Does the end you’re holding in your left hand look like this with the raised ridge where the yellow arrow is pointing?- dhgdLxP.jpg