Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MGD81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
EDIT - all working well, will post some night pics when I get chance

I also posted this in the AlfaODB thread, but figured some here might like to see the V2's on a chrome truck.

So I went for it today.

I ordered the V2 lights, 2 x sets of Katana LED's for highs and lows and also the connectors from MPGrimm that allow me to use the factory DRL circuit - my truck is a Bighorn with quads.
img_20190713_141955-jpg.173155
img_20190713_142004-jpg.173156
mvimg_20190713_142102-jpg.173157

Went mostly smoothly, with some finicky moments!

I'm stoked with the way the truck looks in person, I have everything wired right with as much factory look as possible. I used the DRL harness that came with the lights and cut the connector and mated it with MPgrimm's pins.

Everything works well apart from the DRL's - I have done the following

CBC features - LED front turn lamps present YES
CBC Features - LED front park marker lamps present - yes
CBC Features - LED low beam lamps present - yes
CBC Features - LED high beam lamps present - yes
CBC I/O right dedicated DRL Lamp output present- YES
CBC I/O left dedicated DRL Lamp output present- YES
CBC DRL config- OPTIONAL DRL
CBC features- DRL lamp location- DEDICATED
CBC features- DRL dropout enable- YES
CBC Features LED deicated DRL present- YES
ECU config- DRL customer setting enable/disable- YES
Daytime Running lights CSM- YES

Am I missing anything? I waited 5 mins to let the truck settle after the changes, do you think it needs a few more key cycles?

Matt

Last edited:

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Once you remove the silicon casing you see cut markings every 3 inches

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

I forgot to check out how the adjustments are done when i had the lights out, its about to get dark and i want to adjust the projectors as they are definetly out of alignment.

Does anyone know if they can be adjusted via the adjustment hole in the top of the fender like the OEM lights adjust? If so, what tool is it? Phillips? T10/T20?

I want to adjust them tonight, so if anyone has an answer ASAP that would be great. Im going to start on page 1 and go through all 35+ pages to see if its been discussed before, but hopefully someone chimes in before i spend an hour + reading through this entire thread lol.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have success so far!!! I was able to add the dedicated DRL circuits with extended length pigtails from @Mpgrimm2 and using the instructions found on the AlfaOBD thread from @1500ram12
I have mine set to drop out when the turn signal comes on. The DRLs are on when you put the truck in gear or when the lights at turned on.
I even have the DRL On/Off selection in the 8.4 radio menu.
IMG_20190713_153703618-01.jpgIMG_20190713_153759632-01.jpgIMG_20190713_153925831-01.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I forgot to check out how the adjustments are done when i had the lights out, its about to get dark and i want to adjust the projectors as they are definetly out of alignment.

Does anyone know if they can be adjusted via the adjustment hole in the top of the fender like the OEM lights adjust? If so, what tool is it? Phillips? T10/T20?

I want to adjust them tonight, so if anyone has an answer ASAP that would be great. Im going to start on page 1 and go through all 35+ pages to see if its been discussed before, but hopefully someone chimes in before i spend an hour + reading through this entire thread lol.

Use a Phillips screw driver through the same factory adjustment whole and place it in the gear and you can adjust that way.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Use a Phillips screw driver through the same factory adjustment whole and place it in the gear and you can adjust that way.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

Thanks [emoji106] [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

A longish Philips #2...and a flashlight (trust me)!

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So just a short update for anyone using Katana or Hikari Ultra LEDs . I've found that ensuring the cable at the base of the bulb is at the 12 o'clock position provides the best light output. This ensures the thinnest part of the led frame is faced downward at the 6 o'clock position.

Quick question, is there any benefit to disabling PWM (with AlfaOBD) when using LEDs?

MGD81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
So just a short update for anyone using Katana or Hikari Ultra LEDs . I've found that ensuring the cable at the base of the bulb is at the 12 o'clock position provides the best light output. This ensures the thinnest part of the led frame is faced downward at the 6 o'clock position.

Quick question, is there any benefit to disabling PWM (with AlfaOBD) when using LEDs?

I have mine at 6 - I havent done a proper adjustment yet though. You werent happy with them at 6? Can you turn the bulbs while they are in the truck or do they need to come out again?

Lawsuit11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have mine at 6 - I havent done a proper adjustment yet though. You werent happy with them at 6? Can you turn the bulbs while they are in the truck or do they need to come out again?

Hakari
If you have the new style. They all have the adjustable base so you can instal the base and lock it in. Then insert the bulb

I can’t speak on the katana. Never used them

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
They can stay mounted to the headlight housing but you need to remove the dust covers to turn them which means taking the headlights off.

I tried 6 and 12. 12 is noticeably better in my opinion. The important part I think is having the thinnest section of the bulb faced downward, but I think this only applies to projectors.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

So a few problems have arose.

1. So I used a long screwdriver and I saw the metal “gear” to adjust the projectors. I adjusted the driver side and had to raise it ALOT. It was a success. Went to the passenger side to raise it just a hair, it won’t go up or down but the screwdriver is getting into the area it should be for adjustment and I can see the projector “bounces” when I try to adjust it, like it wants to move but something is blocking it inside the headlight housing. I’m going to try a bigger headed phillips tomorrow with a longer neck because the one I used for the DS perfect but the PS the handle rests on the fender so that could be an issue but I can feel the resistance of the gear and I see the projector jump when I turn it but it never actually moves it just jumps a little and goes back into its original spot. I tried both directions and it wouldn’t move in either direction.

2. (See photos below) Now that I raised the Driverside to where it should be, I am seeing this HUGE black spot to the bottom left of the front end. Also I am seeing a huge black spot in the beam on the DS as well. In my experience this is usually the hid bulbs stem needing to be turned, by turning the bulb into one of the other 2 spots the bulb holder has on the back of the projector. I noticed there was 3 spots for the bulbs mounting tab, so I guessed to my best knowledge where it should be, I got the PS right but the driverside I guess I will have to try to move it to the next spot and if that doesn’t work then try the 3rd one. I’m hoping it’s the problem and it’s not a misaligned projector inside the housing although I plan to take these apart in 2-3 weeks so I could fix that if I had too.

Other than that I’m super happy with these, although these lights with the Morimoto 35w H7 hid kit doesn’t come close to the output that my custom retrofit quads had with the M-LED projectors, those things are beast.

Dark spot highlighted
84ef1bf031a16cc81fd16b09fd85f000.jpg
314444743ef377da6f8f9e472cd7a29b.jpg

Dark spot not highlighted
8ba704b4c7c8f8395882b091f42837f0.jpg

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins

1. So I used a long screwdriver and I saw the metal “gear” to adjust the projectors. I adjusted the driver side and had to raise it ALOT. It was a success. Went to the passenger side to raise it just a hair, it won’t go up or down but the screwdriver is getting into the area it should be for adjustment and I can see the projector “bounces” when I try to adjust it, like it wants to move but something is blocking it inside the headlight housing. I’m going to try a bigger headed phillips tomorrow with a longer neck because the one I used for the DS perfect but the PS the handle rests on the fender so that could be an issue but I can feel the resistance of the gear and I see the projector jump when I turn it but it never actually moves it just jumps a little and goes back into its original spot. I tried both directions and it wouldn’t move in either direction.

2. (See photos below) Now that I raised the Driverside to where it should be, I am seeing this HUGE black spot to the bottom left of the front end. Also I am seeing a huge black spot in the beam on the DS as well. In my experience this is usually the hid bulbs stem needing to be turned, by turning the bulb into one of the other 2 spots the bulb holder has on the back of the projector. I noticed there was 3 spots for the bulbs mounting tab, so I guessed to my best knowledge where it should be, I got the PS right but the driverside I guess I will have to try to move it to the next spot and if that doesn’t work then try the 3rd one. I’m hoping it’s the problem and it’s not a misaligned projector inside the housing although I plan to take these apart in 2-3 weeks so I could fix that if I had too.

Other than that I’m super happy with these, although these lights with the Morimoto 35w H7 hid kit doesn’t come close to the output that my custom retrofit quads had with the M-LED projectors, those things are beast.

Dark spot highlighted

You may have not had the screw driver completely in the right spot. I had that problem the other day. It felt like I was in the right spot but wasn't adjusting. Took a couple tries before I finally got it.

It's possible it's the position of the hid's. I haven't seen anyone have that problem yet. I don't believe it's a projector issue.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You may have not had the screw driver completely in the right spot. I had that problem the other day. It felt like I was in the right spot but wasn't adjusting. Took a couple tries before I finally got it.

It's possible it's the position of the hid's. I haven't seen anyone have that problem yet. I don't believe it's a projector issue.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

I’m hoping it’s the position of the bulb because I’ve had a few customers I did Retrofit’s for and they had similar issues with “dead” spots in their light pattern and it turned out that they needed to adjust the position of the bulbs because the stem was casting a shadow and causing black spots in the light pattern. So I’ll see what happens later today when I adjust them.

Also having issues with the lights not coming on randomly. No flickering or any other issues, just sometimes one side won’t light up no matter how many times I turn the lights on and off. It just takes some time driving or sitting for it to come back on. Sometimes both work, sometimes it’s just the DS or just the PS. I have a 2012 so I’m running the Morimoto Standalone Canbus Adapters which I’ve used in the past with a couple Morimoto XB HID kits and I used with my M-LED projector retrofit aswell and they worked fine but this HID kit is having issues. I think I need an H7 relay harness. I’m going to order one today and see if it fixes the issues. Was hoping to avoid the relay since it’s a 2012 but I’m guessing the XB35 2.0 ballasts are different then the older Gen 1 ballasts which my truck had no issues with when paired with the standalone canbus adapters. I don’t think there is any issues with the hid kit components themselves as they seem to work just fine and swapping parts to opposite sides doesn’t do anything.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’m hoping it’s the position of the bulb because I’ve had a few customers I did Retrofit’s for and they had similar issues with “dead” spots in their light pattern and it turned out that they needed to adjust the position of the bulbs because the stem was casting a shadow and causing black spots in the light pattern. So I’ll see what happens later today when I adjust them.

Also having issues with the lights not coming on randomly. No flickering or any other issues, just sometimes one side won’t light up no matter how many times I turn the lights on and off. It just takes some time driving or sitting for it to come back on. Sometimes both work, sometimes it’s just the DS or just the PS. I have a 2012 so I’m running the Morimoto Standalone Canbus Adapters which I’ve used in the past with a couple Morimoto XB HID kits and I used with my M-LED projector retrofit aswell and they worked fine but this HID kit is having issues. I think I need an H7 relay harness. I’m going to order one today and see if it fixes the issues. Was hoping to avoid the relay since it’s a 2012 but I’m guessing the XB35 2.0 ballasts are different then the older Gen 1 ballasts which my truck had no issues with when paired with the standalone canbus adapters. I don’t think there is any issues with the hid kit components themselves as they seem to work just fine and swapping parts to opposite sides doesn’t do anything.

Do you have alphaobd? I'm not sure exactly what can be changed for lighting settings for 2012's.

I've never had luck with morimoto hid's

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Dark spot highlighted

So, I believe the issue with adjustment may be that the little ball mount that is friction fitted into the truck when you install the headlight housing may not be seated properly. If that ball isn't seated you can't adjust the headlight.

Also, placing a flashlight in one of the two holes around the adjustment hole when going to seat the screwdriver will let you see it's in the right place.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Since you are interested, I also felt like the light was spread more uniformly at 12 o'clock.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have alphaobd? I'm not sure exactly what can be changed for lighting settings for 2012's.

I've never had luck with morimoto hid's

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

I do not have alphaobd but I have been thinking about getting it, I just learned about it a few days ago. I was a little inactive on here for awhile as I have been super busy with working and my business.

I’ve always had issues with Morimoto HID kits as well. Customers never seem to have issues, except the random one here and there, but my 2012 Ram hates Morimoto hid kits.

So, I believe the issue with adjustment may be that the little ball mount that is friction fitted into the truck when you install the headlight housing may not be seated properly. If that ball isn't seated you can't adjust the headlight.

Also, placing a flashlight in one of the two holes around the adjustment hole when going to seat the screwdriver will let you see it's in the right place.

I didn’t consider that the ball mount could not be fully seated. I’ll check it out. Thanks.

I used a flashlight and I could see the adjustment gear thing. I could also see my Phillips head was leaving little marks on the plastic in the area you put it to turn the headlight so I know it was in there.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW, in regards to the ball mount - whne installing my ModifyStreet headlights I felt like the gap between the light and front fender was too big.

After much mucking around with it, I realized a couple things:

1. The ball that comes with the headlights is slightly longer overall, but the diameter of the ball is smaller. I swapped out the stock ball for the ModifyStreet ball

2. When I thought the ball was snapped in, I dont think it really was. It really takes some effort, I think, to get it in all the way.

The combination of those 2 things made the light-to-fender gap MUCH closer to stock. I presume those 2 things might also help the alignment setup as well.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Has anyone else put a space under the bottom hold down tab for the headlights? I put about a 3/8" spacer and the gap along the bottom and back edge of the headlights seem to be pretty even.

2bf5941a83ebd9226210973d8431022e.jpg

IMG_20190714_155339037.jpg
not sure why the pic is upside down?

Last edited:

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Has anyone else put a space under the bottom hold down tab for the headlights? I put about a 3/8" spacer and the gap along the bottom and back edge of the headlights seem to be pretty even.

2bf5941a83ebd9226210973d8431022e.jpg

View attachment 173281
not sure why the pic is upside down?

Where the bottom bolt screws into that is adjustable. It can screw up and down.

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman