Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I've read a decent number of pages on this thread and its seems while you can get them to work there have been a decent number of issues. I'd assume this might be year dependent though?

I have alfaobd. Trucks a 2017 with stock quads on an Express.

Just added a 5th gen style grill so now I wanted updated headlights to match the new look. Was planning Morimoto at one point, and would prefer them. But the wife was asking for xmas ideas and I don't think I can convince her to spend 1k on headlights. So was thinking the Alpharex would be more inline with what we typically spend on each other.

So those of you that have them is it worth the hassle, errors, messing with alfaobd, etc? Or should I just drop the idea for xmas and buy the Morimotos myself?

My gen 1s worked without any issues after the proper changes were made with alphaobd on my 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Quick video of the AlphaRex Pro G2 headlights. Both locking doors startup and unlocking doors. Just startup would be the Knight Rider type sequence.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My gen 1s worked without any issues after the proper changes were made with alphaobd on my 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet good to hear, I'd assume 17 and 18 would be pretty similar.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd just like to share I'm using G2's on my 2014 Express that was originally quads. I am willing to share setup info and check things for folks as I have no warning messages ever and all functions exactly as expected.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I haven't got the B177 since I used AlfaOBD to disable the "Door Ajar Switch Usage".
I Assume you are talking about LED headlight bulbs. If they were 180 off would the bulbs even light?
FWIW my low beam are HIDs with relays & high beams are LED. I followed the positive leads from the AlphaRex harness to the + on the LED headlight so I think it should be right.
@17Dually and anyone else with factory projectors that installed the the G2's (w/switchbacks), added LEDs (ie Hikari or similar) and disabled the Door Ajar monitoring....

1) Did the error messages go away eventually? (With HID/LED setting enabled)

2) Does your vehicle theft alarm (VTA) still work when the doors are forced open while locked?

M² Mods.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'd just like to share I'm using G2's on my 2014 Express that was originally quads. I am willing to share setup info and check things for folks as I have no warning messages ever and all functions exactly as expected.

I’ve been sitting back trying to pick up a trend, also, but nothing seems to be consistent. Most seem to be factory projector trucks, which makes sense for the hyperflash because of the fault sense wires not being hooked up to anything anymore, hence the reason disabling them usually fixes that, but then the parking light errors show up. It’s gotta be something with the switchback module at the instant it drops out the parking light when the turn signal activates. When the parking light drops out for the turn signal, there must be a resistor in the switchback module that mimics the parking light when it’s off, and it could be out of spec. I wish I would have kept the original drivers out of mine so I could tear them apart (if they aren’t potted).

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’ve been sitting back trying to pick up a trend, also, but nothing seems to be consistent. Most seem to be factory projector trucks, which makes sense for the hyperflash because of the fault sense wires not being hooked up to anything anymore, hence the reason disabling them usually fixes that, but then the parking light errors show up. It’s gotta be something with the switchback module at the instant it drops out the parking light when the turn signal activates. When the parking light drops out for the turn signal, there must be a resistor in the switchback module that mimics the parking light when it’s off, and it could be out of spec. I wish I would have kept the original drivers out of mine so I could tear them apart (if they aren’t potted).

You have the gen 1's right?

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Ya, gen 1,s. Although most of the issues seem to be with the gen2’s

I still have all the original boards and driver's out of mine. I can either send them to you if you want or let me know what you are looking for and I can try and figure it out

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I remember vaguely a forum member, @Austen (?), Who was fiddling with the voltage settings going to lights. I don't know if there are any settings for parking/turn signal voltages but maybe that could help if there are?

I believe he successfully altered the headlight voltage over the factory wiring, but I don't remember the outcome. It's easy to lose things in the AlfaOBD thread...

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I still have all the original boards and driver's out of mine. I can either send them to you if you want or let me know what you are looking for and I can try and figure it out

I think there was two drivers, so whichever one was hooked up to the lower led boards. I guess first thing would be to pop it open and see if it’s not potted, then PM me some pics.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I think there was two drivers, so whichever one was hooked up to the lower led boards. I guess first thing would be to pop it open and see if it’s not potted, then PM me some pics.

Can do. Should be able to do it tomorrow

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I remember vaguely a forum member, @Austen (?), Who was fiddling with the voltage settings going to lights. I don't know if there are any settings for parking/turn signal voltages but maybe that could help if there are?

I believe he successfully altered the headlight voltage over the factory wiring, but I don't remember the outcome. It's easy to lose things in the AlfaOBD thread...

FWIW I was messing with this last week. The issue I get is fairly particular: if the headlights come on while the signal is signalling (either Auto or if I turn the knob), after a few clicks of the signal it will trigger a signal out error. Hyperflash, single ding noise and EVIC. After 5-10 seconds of hyperflashing, it turns back to normal flashing. The left signal seemed much more sensitive than the right for some reason.

Went into voltages and changed every one to 12V, or as close as I could (DRLs can go 11.8 or 12.2). Since then the issue seems to occur much less, so maybe it did something.

I believe "corner voltage" is what controls the parking and possibly turn signal lights. The default voltage for DRL is 7.4, default for others was much higher....my SWAG was the extreme difference in voltages caused an issue as the headlights came on because the DRLs would drop and parking lights would kick in. Thats a spike from 7.4V to 12V (or more...I think front corner voltage was 13.something by default) and with the turn signal going maybe the BCM didnt like it.

17Dually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Just some food for thought for those of you with a better understanding & knowledge of the Ram electronics.
I’ve been sitting back trying to pick up a trend, also, but nothing seems to be consistent. Most seem to be factory projector trucks, which makes sense for the hyperflash because of the fault sense wires not being hooked up to anything anymore,.
This is close to something that has puzzled me. The conversion harness (stock projector to quad harness) that came with my Gen 2 AlphaRex headlights splices the fault sensor wire to the ground, which I find interesting. My truck came from the factory with LED lights and a pickup bed. Two years ago I had a flatbed built and LED lights installed in it. When I got the truck back it had a hyperflash and error codes. I was told I needed to see the dealer. Some research led me to this pdf https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/2016/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf "Ram Truck Exterior Lighting modifications" This pdf explains 3 methods for disabling bulb out detection for rear facing lighting. But I would imagine the principles are the same for the front. 1 is to add a sales code (I assume box delete); 2 is to ground a wire that is found under the PDC (which I did and it has worked for almost 2 years). The third method is different for trucks with factory installed LED taillights. I don't entirely understand it, but relays are added that appear to me to ground the bulb fault sense wire but only when the lights are on as opposed to the AlpahRex which grounds the fault sensor wire at the harness (& all of the time). If it was as easy as just grounding the fault sensor wire, then why would Ram Trucks have you install relays? See the last 2 pages "Connecting aftermarket tail lamps to Ram 2500/3500 pickup truck with factory installed LED taillights."

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just some food for thought for those of you with a better understanding & knowledge of the Ram electronics.
This is close to something that has puzzled me. The conversion harness (stock projector to quad harness) that came with my Gen 2 AlphaRex headlights splices the fault sensor wire to the ground, which I find interesting. My truck came from the factory with LED lights and a pickup bed. Two years ago I had a flatbed built and LED lights installed in it. When I got the truck back it had a hyperflash and error codes. I was told I needed to see the dealer. Some research led me to this pdf https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/2016/docs/ram/ramelm.pdf "Ram Truck Exterior Lighting modifications" This pdf explains 3 methods for disabling bulb out detection for rear facing lighting. But I would imagine the principles are the same for the front. 1 is to add a sales code (I assume box delete); 2 is to ground a wire that is found under the PDC (which I did and it has worked for almost 2 years). The third method is different for trucks with factory installed LED taillights. I don't entirely understand it, but relays are added that appear to me to ground the bulb fault sense wire but only when the lights are on as opposed to the AlpahRex which grounds the fault sensor wire at the harness (& all of the time). If it was as easy as just grounding the fault sensor wire, then why would Ram Trucks have you install relays? See the last 2 pages "Connecting aftermarket tail lamps to Ram 2500/3500 pickup truck with factory installed LED taillights."
Unfortunately I don't think anything like that exists for front lighting error disabling.

I think there are Alfa settings for turning off most of the front lighting errors, all except turn signals... Probably for safety or nhtsa reasons. Of course, signals get finicky and throw errors and hyperflashes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Those methods all work for the rear lighting, which is also the same thing as disabling rear lighting DTC in AlfaOBD under CBC features. AlfaOBD takes care of the fault sense relay method by simply disabling them. There no such DTC disable for the forward facing lights, though.

Tailwheel234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to beat a beaten horse here, but just found the forum and in the process of upgrading my headlights on my 2014 Ram and have some questions.

I have ordered soem AlphaRex headlights to put in the truck as a plug-n-ply and will be adding the DRL wiring since my truck didn't come with DRL's.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJJ55D...olid=3U4SWHE015YGY&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

But, my question is, I would like to add LED bulbs to the housings for the low and high beams. They are listed as H7 bulbs. Has anyone had experience with the Hikari LED bulbs? Will they be direct plug-n-play or will I have to do wiring and add resistors or otherwise?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XP1GG1...BXyV6YR-CtQNJGPYAa4hcg4HfsID5ZIsO6RD056JAaxSM

I appreciate the help in advance, and forgive the new questions!!

Philip

koblesCar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I was playing with voltage in AlfaODB but no luck to get ride of the parking like out issue.