Anyone try Modifystreet headlights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I added the dedicated feed myself, what I don't understand is when the lights are on the DRL feed should not be affecting the lights in any way as the BCM is not sending anything to the lights unless I'm mistaken. I tried disabling the DRL and same issue.

The fact it only happens when the lights are on and the turn signal is used, thus DRL are off, tells me it's an issue with the main harness and irrelevant of the DRL. If the DRL was causing it I'd expect it to happen only when the lights are off. My guess is this is why Morimoto chose to use a dedicated turn signal optic instead of the switchback

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW my modified ModifyStreet lights are having a similar issue.

I took a set of Gen1 and basically made them Gen2 - replaced upper and lower LED boards with switchback LED strips, both LED strips light up white as DRLs/parking lights, the lower switches to sequential amber turn signal.

If I have the signals going and the automatic headlights kick on, after a few flashes of turn signal Ill get a turn signal out message. Maybe 5-10 seconds of hyperflash (only the mirror signals hyperflash, btw), then it just goes back to normal all by itself. Once that code is stored, if I leave the signals on for a while after the hyperflash goes away, you wont see the error again until the headlights cycle (off then back on eventually).

While my lights are pretty modified, @tkabrick and I both have the dedicated DRL feed in common. I agree, Im not sure why the DRL would affect anything, but since its something in common, maybe? Also note we both have sequential signals now....Ive always wondered if the "Sequence" of the turn signal causes the BCM some grief since it takes some time to go through the sequence, then blanks, then sequence, etc.

Also note when the signals are engaged, the top LED strip drops out as well.....so if Im turning left, the right upper and lower strips are still white, the left upper strip goes off and the left lower strip goes sequential.

Further, @Jimmy07 modified his gen1 lights basically exactly the same as I did (or rather, I modified mine like he did his :) ), and he does NOT have the issue. A big difference there, being that he completely swapped out his front end wiring harness for one from a truck that had factory projectors. Is there something built into that harness that solves this issue?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yes I added the dedicated feed myself, what I don't understand is when the lights are on the DRL feed should not be affecting the lights in any way as the BCM is not sending anything to the lights unless I'm mistaken. I tried disabling the DRL and same issue.

The fact it only happens when the lights are on and the turn signal is used, thus DRL are off, tells me it's an issue with the main harness and irrelevant of the DRL. If the DRL was causing it I'd expect it to happen only when the lights are off. My guess is this is why Morimoto chose to use a dedicated turn signal optic instead of the switchback

FWIW my modified ModifyStreet lights are having a similar issue.

I took a set of Gen1 and basically made them Gen2 - replaced upper and lower LED boards with switchback LED strips, both LED strips light up white as DRLs/parking lights, the lower switches to sequential amber turn signal.

If I have the signals going and the automatic headlights kick on, after a few flashes of turn signal Ill get a turn signal out message. Maybe 5-10 seconds of hyperflash (only the mirror signals hyperflash, btw), then it just goes back to normal all by itself. Once that code is stored, if I leave the signals on for a while after the hyperflash goes away, you wont see the error again until the headlights cycle (off then back on eventually).

While my lights are pretty modified, @tkabrick and I both have the dedicated DRL feed in common. I agree, Im not sure why the DRL would affect anything, but since its something in common, maybe? Also note we both have sequential signals now....Ive always wondered if the "Sequence" of the turn signal causes the BCM some grief since it takes some time to go through the sequence, then blanks, then sequence, etc.

Also note when the signals are engaged, the top LED strip drops out as well.....so if Im turning left, the right upper and lower strips are still white, the left upper strip goes off and the left lower strip goes sequential.

Further, @Jimmy07 modified his gen1 lights basically exactly the same as I did (or rather, I modified mine like he did his :) ), and he does NOT have the issue. A big difference there, being that he completely swapped out his front end wiring harness for one from a truck that had factory projectors. Is there something built into that harness that solves this issue?

It maybe we are missing a wire (I haven't compared the wiring diagrams yet) or it's something in alphaobd that we need to enabled/disable that Jimmy07 did when he added the complete harness for factory projectors

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are 2 DRL driver leads (one left, one right) in the premium harness wiring that are not there in the base harness.

The connection back to the BCM seems to be there regardless of trim level, maybe we should try to jumper from the DRL in the light to the lead that goes back to the BCM?

Disconnect the DRL from the TIPM, of course.

EDIT: strike that, it looks like the pigtails we install ARE the link from the DRLs back to the BCM. I dont remember the pin numbers being the same as what is in the wiring diagram, but they must be correct otherwise the DRLs wouldnt work. Back to "no idea" why Jimmy's works and ours dont.

Last edited:

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The DRL feed that is coming out of the Gen 2 lights is what I have run to the BCM thus giving me the dedicated DRL circuit.

The only thing I can think of is the DRL module in the included DRL harness performs a certain function when the DRLs are off and the lights are on. Other than that I imagine it has to be related to the parking light harness

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know if this helps at all, but on my Gen2 lights, when the sequential turn signal is engaged the top running light stays on (so the bottom is signaling and the top remains white).

This is a plug and play install on a Express that had factory quads. I DID NOT install the included DRL wiring and have no DRL settings turned in with AlfaOBD.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The DRL feed that is coming out of the Gen 2 lights is what I have run to the BCM thus giving me the dedicated DRL circuit.

The only thing I can think of is the DRL module in the included DRL harness performs a certain function when the DRLs are off and the lights are on. Other than that I imagine it has to be related to the parking light harness

Do you have the issue if you completely disconnect the DRL lead? I havent tried that on mine. Turning them off via the radio doesnt solve my issue, but that doesnt mean there arent any electrons silently going awry.

I used the same exact parts (LED strips, etc) jimmy did, but thats not to say there isnt variation in them (made in China, after all). His truck is a 2500 so maybe its just a little bit different than mine, even though our BCM settings are basically exactly the same.

Another random thought - I have the side markers wired in as well, using a buck/boost board. Maybe the buck/boost board is causing issues (even though I have diodes to keep stray voltage at bay)

I don't know if this helps at all, but on my Gen2 lights, when the sequential turn signal is engaged the top running light stays on (so the bottom is signaling and the top remains white).

This is a plug and play install on a Express that had factory quads. I DID NOT install the included DRL wiring and have no DRL settings turned in with AlfaOBD.

That might be a good clue. Maybe the top dropping out makes the BCM think something went wrong. I havent really experimented with all the possible settings for DRL location, etc. Perhaps that is the key?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Do you have the issue if you completely disconnect the DRL lead? I havent tried that on mine. Turning them off via the radio doesnt solve my issue, but that doesnt mean there arent any electrons silently going awry.

I used the same exact parts (LED strips, etc) jimmy did, but thats not to say there isnt variation in them (made in China, after all). His truck is a 2500 so maybe its just a little bit different than mine, even though our BCM settings are basically exactly the same.

Another random thought - I have the side markers wired in as well, using a buck/boost board. Maybe the buck/boost board is causing issues (even though I have diodes to keep stray voltage at bay)

That might be a good clue. Maybe the top dropping out makes the BCM think something went wrong. I havent really experimented with all the possible settings for DRL location, etc. Perhaps that is the key?

I don't think it's the side markers. I didn't hook mine up. I tried using the turns as drl's and the top is white and the bottom goes orange. Which is odd because on the switchbacks in my quads they were white

2018 2500 6.4L Tradesman

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it was related to the DRL and the dropout of the lower running light during signal I should get the bulb out error with the lights off. Given that it's happening with the lights on, wouldn't that indicate it's something with the main harness and the BCM is having an issue with the white light dropping out for the signal?

I have not tried disconnecting the DRL wire completely but disabling the dedicated DRL circuit using AlfaOBD should have the same effect which I have tried to no avail.

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just looked back into the Morimoto thread and the first shipments also had a lot of customers with parking light out errors only with the headlights lights on and turn signal activated. They added additional items to the wiring harness and sent out additional plug and play harness to customers to fix the issue. My Morimotos came with the updated main harness that includes the fix, which is why I haven't had any issues using them.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked back into the Morimoto thread and the first shipments also had a lot of customers with parking light out errors only with the headlights lights on and turn signal activated. They added additional items to the wiring harness and sent out additional plug and play harness to customers to fix the issue. My Morimotos came with the updated main harness that includes the fix, which is why I haven't had any issues using them.

Any idea what was added? Im guessing diodes and/or resistors.

I need to check how it acts with headlights ON, but with headlights off the DRLs drop out when the signals go on. Once the headlights are on, the upper and lower LEDs are powered by the parking light circuit (AFAIK) so if the upper is dropping out during signalling, that means the parking light circuit is losing power for some reason. I wonder if thats the issue....I have my side marker lights wired to the parking light circuit as well, so next time I check Ill look to see if the side markers drop out too, indicating loss of power to the parking lights.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
anyone have the dual projector 5th gen look a likes in chrome? pix

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
@tkabrick, you’re getting a parking light out error, and not a turn signal error, correct? Did your truck originally come with quads, or projectors? On the gen 2’s, does the white parking light on top stay on while signaling (with the headlights on)?

tkabrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Jimmy07 yes that is correct, it is a parking light out message. It originally came with quads. I'd have to double-check but yes I believe the white top stays on while signaling with the headlights on.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FWIW my modified lights keep the upper strip on with parking and/or headlights, even while turn signal is on. So the truck doesnt seem to be shutting them down on its own.

Since my headlights are usually on, the only error I get is a turn signal error. But when I put the switch into parking lights only, I did trigger a parking lamp out warning as well.

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just ordered a set for the Ram. Is there a consensus on which led's to go with? Hikari Ultras? I saw some mention Katana?

Also is the turn signal always sequential or can that be adjusted to be solid blink, I have seen videos where some are and some are not, perhaps a different version?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I just ordered a set for the Ram. Is there a consensus on which led's to go with? Hikari Ultras? I saw some mention Katana?

Also is the turn signal always sequential or can that be adjusted to be solid blink, I have seen videos where some are and some are not, perhaps a different version?
I think the consensus is that both Ultras and Katanas are good options. It all boils down to temperature difference between the two, the Ultras being slightly warmer (yellower) and the Katanas being slightly cooler (bluer).

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used both...Katana for low beams and Hikari non-Ultra for high beams.

The Hikari Ultra or another set of Katanas probably would have been better for highs too but I didnt want to deal with 2 sets of drivers....the Hikari non-Ultra are basically just bulbs with wire hanging out the back. The Katanas and Hikari Ultras have a driver box to get inside the headlight compartment. Its definitely do-able, I just didnt feel the need to make it all perfect.

FWIW the Katana and Hikari non-Ultra I got are very close in color temp.

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used both...Katana for low beams and Hikari non-Ultra for high beams.

The Hikari Ultra or another set of Katanas probably would have been better for highs too but I didnt want to deal with 2 sets of drivers....the Hikari non-Ultra are basically just bulbs with wire hanging out the back. The Katanas and Hikari Ultras have a driver box to get inside the headlight compartment. Its definitely do-able, I just didnt feel the need to make it all perfect.

FWIW the Katana and Hikari non-Ultra I got are very close in color temp.
Think the price on the ultra is worth it? Or would you stick to non-ultra or the katana?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Think the price on the ultra is worth it? Or would you stick to non-ultra or the katana?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I liked the katanas over the Hikari ultras. I felt the katanas were brighter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca