Anyone use the Blue ox Sway pro setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Just wondering what you set the chains to for tension. My travel trailer is 6500lbs dry and i have them at 5 links showing on the bottom. It seems to work ok, i do notice some sway going 100kph, but at 80-90, its solid.

scooter6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I count 9 links and put the 9th link in the slot which gives me 3 links showing. I do have to hook up and raise the rear end of the truck up with my tongue jack to get it hooked ,works for me. These were the instructions when I bought the hitch.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I have a Blue Ox Sway Pro and use it to tow my 22' Lance travel trailer with my '19 1500 Laramie. The manufacturer states that if everything is done correctly, you should have 4 chain links showing after the tension is applied and the chain is locked in place. That's 4 links exposed counting up from the bar as seen from the side. I am able to do that but it takes a little oomph. The only time I was able to get 3 links showing was when I lowered the air shocks to "entry level" before I put the bars under tension. Since the truck rides normally at "aero level" it placed a lot of tension on the Sway Pro and was difficult to release when I went to disconnect so I don't do that anymore. I believe the 9 links you are referring to is the link that you place into the slot on the cog wheel. Then after you rotate the cog wheel and lock it in place you have 4 links showing. Make sure your truck is straight with the trailer and you are on somewhat level ground before you apply any tension. My driveway isn't long enough for both my trailer and truck to be aligned so I have to pull the rig out to the street curb before applying the tension. Also ensure ball is at the correct height for tongue of your trailer, and the tensioning chain is straight up and down between the cog wheel and tension bar. I've towed my trailer in 40+ mph wind gusts without a problem and although I feel it when a tractor trailer passes, the trailer doesn't sway. Hope this helps but when all else fails there are several good videos on the web.

OP
OP
13ram1500crew

13ram1500crew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Thanks guys, i hooked it up and worked on it last night, i had to raise the truck/trailer up higher than i was (felt that the truck was an inch from lifting off the ground), but i was able to easily get the 8th link into the slot. I checked the ball height, fore/aft alignment of the brackets on the trailer to make sure everything was in line as it should be and it was. I guess i just needed to lift it higher to relieve more tension prior to latching the chains in position.

gypsy271

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a blue ox and I put mine in the 11th link from the top of the.chain. My trailer weighs 5900 empty. I loaded mine and took it to a truck scale and weighed it to get it right. Pulls great no away even with tractor trailers blowing by.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one and it works well, I have a 21ft TT 6000 lb. 600 tongue weight I have mine at 4 links exposed on the cog wheel and I too use the TT jack to pick up the rear of truck to load the torsion bars, I use a flattened length of pipe on the wrench they give you for better leverage, on a side note the dealer says the torsion bars will be curved like a Smile

Last edited: