APPS Needs Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Last year was just a plethora of issues with the Dodge... as a result it sat all winter un-used because of a red lightning bolt on my dash.

I know, 95% of the time it's the throttle body, but I cleaned it, failed a few weeks later. Grabbed a scrapyard one, lasted 6 weeks and failed. Grabbed a new one and lasted a day before getting the error back. By then the snow came and I couldn't work on it.

From my understanding, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) is under the battery on the 2003/04 Dodge Ram 5.7l Hemi models... and that part is now NLA here in Canada and the rare few I found were $650.

I did read that early 1980's Mercedes used the same one? But could not find a part number.

Any suggestions?

I have a few emails out to autowreckers.

Is there a cheap alternative?

Are these basically a potentiometer? And like a dry/scratchy pot on a guitar or amp, we usually just flush it with contact cleaner... would that work in this case?

Gathering info right now... hoping in 1-2 weeks to be able to get working on it again. Drove it in the driveway to keep it from rusting up, but don't trust it on the road.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Last year was just a plethora of issues with the Dodge... as a result it sat all winter un-used because of a red lightning bolt on my dash.

I know, 95% of the time it's the throttle body, but I cleaned it, failed a few weeks later. Grabbed a scrapyard one, lasted 6 weeks and failed. Grabbed a new one and lasted a day before getting the error back. By then the snow came and I couldn't work on it.

From my understanding, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) is under the battery on the 2003/04 Dodge Ram 5.7l Hemi models... and that part is now NLA here in Canada and the rare few I found were $650.

I did read that early 1980's Mercedes used the same one? But could not find a part number.

Any suggestions?

Are these basically a potentiometer? And like a dry/scratchy pot on a guitar or amp, we usually just flush it with contact cleaner... would that work in this case?

Gathering info right now... hoping in 1-2 weeks to be able to get working on it again. Drove it in the driveway to keep it from rusting up, but don't trust it on the road.
With the age of the remaining supply of the bellcranks out there I think the best available option is to send the one you have in for repair. I have used a company in the past that has done good work with zero reliability issues over the years. Here is a link...

http://www.aesmodules.com/

Check them out and give them a call and see what they can do for you. Its been a few years since I have done business with them.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Any suggestions?

This maybe and option: I also have an 03 with nearly identical issues. My symptoms were poor idle, shifting at the incorrect times, poor fuel economy (8-9mi/gal = 20km/liter), and the poor idle caused frequent stalls and restarts wile driving (somewhat dangerous since the steering is atrocious without power assist)
So, I took the APPS out and guess what? Mercedes made it, Part # 6477-01172926. Took me a bit to research and compare the marking on the part. This part from Mercedes will not be a perfect fit, the high throttle stop is present, where the original has none; and the electrical connector is a slightly different shell, will need a bit of persuasion there.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I watched a YouTube vid, where he was using a Mercedes part as well, but never posted the part number and I asked months and months ago what it was and no reply.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 4X4 5.7. I was under the impression that the apps was built into the gas pedal.

53032268AE​

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I finally found one at the wreckers, just pulled it yesterday for my 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 4x4, and it was from a 2003 non-4x4 I think... had to pull out the plastic around the wheel, 3 Philips head screws, took almost an hour and a lot of WD40 to get them out without stripping them.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Recoil was able to locate the part (Bosch A0125423317) which looks like a direct fit. Hope this helps others, might be a bit late... better late than never???

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, had some back issues, finally today was able to go swap that APPS... started the truck for the first time since last October... ran (idle/driveway) for 10min no problem, then started revving a bit and when I looked at the dash, sure enough, red lightining bolt. MF.

I checked the throttle body plug is snug and I cleaned it with contact cleaner, cleaned the APPS plug as well.

Also, inline with where the oil goes, near a spark plug I could see tiny white sparks, just dots, but because getting dark I was able to see them.

Anyone have any ideas? Dodge dealership here doesn't have a clue....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I may be mistaken, but back in 2003, Mercedes Benz & Chrysler were like the same company

I remember seeing Dodge Utility Vans that had Mercedes Steering Wheels & Freightliner Emblems on them
They were also DaimlerChrysler & Volkswagen

On May 7, 1998, the German automobile company Daimler-Benz–maker of the world-famous luxury car brand Mercedes-Benz–announces a $36 billion merger with the United States-based Chrysler Corporation. ... The new company, DaimlerChrysler AG, began trading on the Frankfurt and New York stock exchanges

So you may find several parts that interchange from that time span

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Well, had some back issues, finally today was able to go swap that APPS... started the truck for the first time since last October... ran (idle/driveway) for 10min no problem, then started revving a bit and when I looked at the dash, sure enough, red lightining bolt. MF.

I checked the throttle body plug is snug and I cleaned it with contact cleaner, cleaned the APPS plug as well.

Also, inline with where the oil goes, near a spark plug I could see tiny white sparks, just dots, but because getting dark I was able to see them.

Think they will show up on a phone video. Start with a light shining on the area then turn the light off without moving the camera.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Think they will show up on a phone video. Start with a light shining on the area then turn the light off without moving the camera.
I unplugged the battery, try another APPS reset, and I could see a small bit of woven wire that seems attached to the block....moved it a bit and cleaned a little around it.

Did a slower reset of the APPS in case I did it too fast first time. Short trip around the block went ok, and when stopped no sparks.

Previous owner did some questionable DIY so, when bright out I'll take a photo... not sure if the wire goes somewhere or just a left over from something he did.

Plugs look good, throttle body replaced twice, APPS from the wreckers, no idea how to test it... cleaned contacts... new battery... umm... what else causes that lightning bolt if it returns tomorrow.

MrFixIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Someone had me ‘calibrate’ the sensor. Turn the key on (not start) wait for lights to relax and a ding. Depress gas pedal to the floor and back up fairly slowly. Lightning bolt may go out. Turn key off. Then start like normal. Hope that helps. I have an APPS ordered and a new one with the wrong 6 pin connection. Hope I can get mine to run right too.

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Yup... did the reset... did it again before got really dark out. Disconnected the battery 10min, then reconnected and did the 'calibration' I guess it is.

Some videos they go in/out with the pedal real fast, and some real slow... I went slow this time. Was able to drive it a very short distance and back with no hassle. Tomorrow (today techinally I guess, 12:34am) I'll drive it down the back road and back a few times. I'd do it now but, kinda risky if it flat out dies on me.

One video I saw mentiopned checking the alternator... was for the 5.9l which I guess has 2 batteries? said do an a/c noise test.

SAILNMIKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone tried putting a benz APP on the Dodge ?
The connectors are different, dodge has a one row of 6 and benz has a 2 row of 3.
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the swap ?

OP
OP
THRobinson

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Has anyone tried putting a benz APP on the Dodge ?
The connectors are different, dodge has a one row of 6 and benz has a 2 row of 3.
Does anyone have a wiring schematic of the swap ?
See Post#8... YouTube vid of someone using a Mercedes part, might help