Are forged wheels worth the extra $$$$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKLines

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Limited
Engine
Cummins HO
Let me offer a slightly different view from what I've read. I had a car at one point that had forged wheels and they were awesome. Never had an issue with them even with tire shops changing tires. Lower profile tires make your wheels more susceptible to damage from pot holes. With the cast aluminum rims I've had to have several repaired from bent wheels that caused vibration to scrapped wheels where my wife or I got too close to a curb when parking. There are businesses that are built around repairing cast aluminum wheels. Call one of those and ask them how often they have repaired a forged wheel. I've seen photos where cars have been broadsided around a wheel and the car is totaled, but the wheel is unscathed.
I have also found that cast aluminum typically needs more care. I'm one of those guys that is **** enough that I will pull off wheels periodically to clean the backside. This is where you typically see the longer term affects and corrosion. I believe the forged wheels require less care simply because they are less porous.
There is also the theory that the lighter wheels reduce the unsprung weight thereby allowing your suspension to work more efficiently ... but tests I have read typically show an improvement, but that it is negligible. Some also say that reducing the unsprung weight leads to a smoother ride and better road feel.
Just some things to think about. I'm looking at that as well since I just ordered a 2020 Ram.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had Mickey Thompson / Alcoa wheels on my 95 Dodge diesel, and I loved them. If they offered that Classic in 20" for my 2013 Ram Sport 1500, I would have them.

s-l300.jpg

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you are into pretty then spend the extra bucks. If you care about utility and payload and other aspects then wait until you decide on your tires. New tires may require wider than stock wheels to fit properly.