ARE YOU SERIOUS RAM? Failed Factory Powersteps Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMBaker76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Ram 1500 Limited: My factory installed powerstep/running boards started making a loud noise when going down and up... and after down and up. Took it in to the dealer: it's covered under 3 yr 36,000 miles or for me, $1,200 because I have 39,000 miles. Are you SERIOUS?? 2 years old and the motor fails for factory-installed powerstep/running boards and I have to pay $1,200?? Is it just me... or wouldn't you expect a motor to last the 'lifetime' of the vehicle? NOT 2 YEARS??? C'mon Ram!! This is the **** that makes American Car manufacturers look bad. The motor for a powerstep/running board should not fail within the 1st 5 yesrs... MINIMUM. If it does, it is YOUR FAULT not the consumer. Step up and cover a failure in quality control. Don't shift it to the consumer. This is the 70's.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Who makes those, AMP?

Should be able to get a component for much cheaper direct from the OEM.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had a caliper seize at 20Kmi. Was 3 years AND 3 DAYS. Denied by Ram, had a local shop deal with it on my dime.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Things die. Also, you had the option at time of purchase to buy an extended warranty that would cover everything. Clearly you passed on that and now your mileage time has also passed; your dime now. Count yourself lucky it wasn’t the 12” iPad in the dash.... those are pricey!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Things die. Also, you had the option at time of purchase to buy an extended warranty that would cover everything. Clearly you passed on that and now your mileage time has also passed; your dime now. Count yourself lucky it wasn’t the 12” iPad in the dash.... those are pricey!
This attitude is exactly why I plan on selling it when it reaches three years.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

I have the 5” radio in my tradesman and it works fine for my needs. I found three of the 5” radios on the side of the road behind the dealer. I’m set...lol

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Fun fact: vehicle ownership is a risk. The warranty is 3 years/36k miles. Like someone else said, you were presented the option to extend that coverage, you declined, now you’re ******** that you can’t take advantage of coverage you declined. Tough nuts dude. Things break. It sucks. But no one has any obligation to stand behind that product as it’s not under warranty anymore. Stop pointing fingers, put your entitlement away, realize that vehicle ownership is a responsibility and fix your truck.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I'm not sure what you mean by "attitude". A warranty time period is fixed. It's not "around" 3/36, it "is" 3/36. Now there are catastrophic type failures that might be covered beyond the miles/term but there needs to be a history of proper maintenance prior. It's no different at Ford or GM.

The OP didn't have a catastrophic failure and something tells me he hadn't set foot in the service dept for customer pay maintenance prior to his wanting after warranty free parts and labor.

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7

Your selling your truck to avoid personal responsibility?

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
AMP makes the boards so you can get the motor direct from them much cheaper. I love my power steps and air suspension. 2 things I will always get in the future.

HDGoose

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
L6 Diesel HO
Your selling your truck to avoid personal responsibility?

I know many folks who sell before the warranty is done. Just to avoid fixes on "their own dime". I do purchase the extended warranty on my vehicles, more so now with all the computer controls. I am fortunate to be able to afford such luxury. Am I too dodging "personal responsibility"?

All it would take is one major computer component to fail for me to be glad I paid for the addition "warranty insurance".

Firetruck41

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7
He said he was selling because another Ram owner's attitude, that you must either get additional warranty or expect to pay repairs yourself.
Sounds like you understand your responsibility to either pay for repairs, or for warranty.:waytogo:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
AMP makes the boards so you can get the motor direct from them much cheaper. I love my power steps and air suspension. 2 things I will always get in the future.
Amp does not make the factory boards. They are actually very different. The motors have different connectors and wiring circuits, different control modules, the factory boards have a rod that connects to the idler end, etc.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The power running boards are a $995 option for a pair on a new truck from the factory so the dealer is gouging, which is hardly surprising. Most of the income for dealers is from the sale of parts and from repairs and service work.

To me have retracting running boards on a truck or SUV seems dumb anyway. The running boards protect the sides of my trucks from dirt and gravels and such being tossed up by the tires. Having the running boards no longer in a position to protect the truck when driving does not make any sense.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The power running boards are a $995 option for a pair on a new truck from the factory so the dealer is gouging, which is hardly surprising. Most of the income for dealers is from the sale of parts and from repairs and service work.

To me have retracting running boards on a truck or SUV seems dumb anyway. The running boards protect the sides of my trucks from dirt and gravels and such being tossed up by the tires. Having the running boards no longer in a position to protect the truck when driving does not make any sense.
Well, dang! I feel really dumb now. Here this entire time I’ve had side steps on my vehicles, and I’ve always thought they were so I can step on to get into the vehicle. I never knew they were intended to protect the sides of the vehicle...

Bad comparison on the option cost versus the dealer cost. If you were to buy each individual part of a Ram truck, and pay someone to assemble it for you, it’d probably cost you a half million. He’s got to buy the power step motor, and pay to have it removed and replaced.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My mistake on AMP making the boards. That is what dealer told me when I got the truck. I think locally AMP boards are $1200 to $1500 installed from after market shops. As for me the factory steps have worked flawlessly for 2 years. I use my truck for work and would guess that They have to deploy at least 30 times per day.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Gaining some limited protection from steps is a side benefit of having them. It's not most people's primary reason for having steps. The retractable steps are very nice to have, and make getting in and out of the truck easy for anyone. They are wide and sit lower when deployed. And when they are retracted they allow for more clearance if you go off road.

We have fixed steps on the Laramie, and power steps on the Limited. Both trucks still get rock chips on the rocker panels. The fixed steps probably do protect from some of these, but, unless you get full coverage wheel to wheel steps, they are not nearly as effective as you are making them out to be.