ARH long tube installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish I had wrapped mine. They dont look great now and were JBA ceramic coated. I had to have my intermediate steering shaft replaced as i had binding. I had three fractured vertebrae at the time so I had to have a shop do it. They said my LT proximity schmelted the grease out lol.

OP
OP
Reno

Reno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wish I had wrapped mine. They dont look great now and were JBA ceramic coated. I had to have my intermediate steering shaft replaced as i had binding. I had three fractured vertebrae at the time so I had to have a shop do it. They said my LT proximity schmelted the grease out lol.
I would pay extra to have them wrapped from the manufacturer. It’s a tedious process that I haven’t developed the patience for, yet. I thought I had them wrapped pretty tightly until I went to install the headers. We’ll see how well they hold up. I also used heat wrap on nearby hoses and components that looked important lol

Hydrasport23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Statement included with Kooks headers; "Kooks will not warranty any exhaust product that has been improperly installed, crashed, welded, or modified (coatings, header wraps, etc) in any way." All header manufacturer's say the same thing. Kooks offer limited lifetime warranty. Even the cheapest BBK headers offer 12 month warranty. I've never had an issue with headers that were ceramic coated from the factory. My BBK's look like new after 3 years. I did wrap some of the components that were near the header tubes but I will not wrap the headers for a fraction of a HP on a street machine. Never heard of a knock sensor pulling timing because of under hood heat, I thought they sent a voltage signal to the PCM based on a knock frequency.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Statement included with Kooks headers; "Kooks will not warranty any exhaust product that has been improperly installed, crashed, welded, or modified (coatings, header wraps, etc) in any way." All header manufacturer's say the same thing. Kooks offer limited lifetime warranty. Even the cheapest BBK headers offer 12 month warranty. I've never had an issue with headers that were ceramic coated from the factory. My BBK's look like new after 3 years. I did wrap some of the components that were near the header tubes but I will not wrap the headers for a fraction of a HP on a street machine. Never heard of a knock sensor pulling timing because of under hood heat, I thought they sent a voltage signal to the PCM based on a knock frequency.
Knock sensors don't pick up heat.In laymans terms they pick up the pinging in the header tubes from the exhaust gas pulses hitting the inside of the primaries.Stick your ear down by the primaries the next time you have a wheel well liner out,and listen closely when it's idling. Any decent tuner will reconmend header wrap if you ask them about it.

OP
OP
Reno

Reno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Now that I have drove the truck a little bit, this thing is freaking loud at WOT with the carven competitor series muffler. Sounds amazing on start up and while cruising. Definitely feels like the engine is happier.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that I have drove the truck a little bit, this thing is freaking loud at WOT with the carven competitor series muffler. Sounds amazing on start up and while cruising. Definitely feels like the engine is happier.
Proof or it didn't happen

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would pay extra to have them wrapped from the manufacturer. It’s a tedious process that I haven’t developed the patience for, yet. I thought I had them wrapped pretty tightly until I went to install the headers. We’ll see how well they hold up. I also used heat wrap on nearby hoses and components that looked important lol
Never seem a manufacturer offer wrapped headers. Is there someone out there that does?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Never seem a manufacturer offer wrapped headers. Is there someone out there that does?
I've never found anybody offering a wrapped header.I'd hate to pay a maufacture'r to wrap them,as the labour costs would probably almost double the cost of a set of already high priced set of long tubes.They aren't hard to wrap,but it is a time consuming job to do them neatly.There's lots of video's on youtube ,even DEI has a video showing how to wrap them.

OP
OP
Reno

Reno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've never found anybody offering a wrapped header.I'd hate to pay a maufacture'r to wrap them,as the labour costs would probably almost double the cost of a set of already high priced set of long tubes.They aren't hard to wrap,but it is a time consuming job to do them neatly.There's lots of video's on youtube ,even DEI has a video showing how to wrap them.
I watched a couple videos, DEI’s being one. Just don’t have the knack for it, yet. I’m certain I’ll be doing this job on my fathers 1500 in the future so hopefully I hone my skills some. Did y’all use the recommended high temp silicone spray?

Me neither. Would be a cool option though if priced right.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I watched a couple videos, DEI’s being one. Just don’t have the knack for it, yet. I’m certain I’ll be doing this job on my fathers 1500 in the future so hopefully I hone my skills some. Did y’all use the recommended high temp silicone spray?

If you have it,use the high temp silicone spray.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I usually throw the headers into a solidly mounted vice,so they stay stable when you're trying to get a tight wrap on them,and i always soak the wrap in water,even the titanium stuff,it's easier to work with,and lays nicer when wet in my opinion.

OP
OP
Reno

Reno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I usually throw the headers into a solidly mounted vice,so they stay stable when you're trying to get a tight wrap on them,and i always soak the wrap in water,even the titanium stuff,it's easier to work with,and lays nicer when wet in my opinion.

I soaked them over night but haven’t dug my vise out from our move yet. I’m satisfied with the wrap job or I wouldn’t have put them on yet. Just hoping they hold up lol.

Side note; I’m just now getting a CEL after about 40 miles of driving. I’m assuming it’s regarding the cats being gone and no tune yet.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I soaked them over night but haven’t dug my vise out from our move yet. I’m satisfied with the wrap job or I wouldn’t have put them on yet. Just hoping they hold up lol.

Side note; I’m just now getting a CEL after about 40 miles of driving. I’m assuming it’s regarding the cats being gone and no tune yet.
You could do the old stacked 02 sensor trick. You drill out the bottom one so the 02 fits through it,and then stuff it full of 000 or 0000 steel wool.Usually that'll fool the back 02 into thinking it's seeing a differance in oxygen levels from the front sensor. You can find them at pretty well any auto parts store aka Napa / Bumper to Bumper etc..

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I started in on installing my fox coilovers. Took the opportunity to check the header bolts. Take a peak at the wonderful JBA coating after 5 years or so...

20230222_181423.jpg20230222_180941.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I started in on installing my fox coilovers. Took the opportunity to check the header bolts. Take a peak at the wonderful JBA coating after 5 years or so...

View attachment 514370View attachment 514371
My experiences with header coatings,is they're semi-okay if you live where it never gets below 50F,but if you live where it can get to -20 or colder,the coating doesn't last worth crap. I think the bigger temp swings when you start an engine at -20 or colder,thermal shocks the coatings to much for it survive the huge almost instant temp changes the headers see. Guys in Florida will have coated headers last for years,while guys in Canada or the Northern States it doesn't last as well.Just my observations

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My experiences with header coatings,is they're semi-okay if you live where it never gets below 50F,but if you live where it can get to -20 or colder,the coating doesn't last worth crap. I think the bigger temp swings when you start an engine at -20 or colder,thermal shocks the coatings to much for it survive the huge almost instant temp changes the headers see. Guys in Florida will have coated headers last for years,while guys in Canada or the Northern States it doesn't last as well.Just my observations
I live in St. Louis, so no -20 here. Rarely below 0. I heard bad things about the Titanium coating so I went ceramic. It was twice the price to have the ARH headers cerakoted, but I wish I went that route. I wasn't planning to keep the truck indefinitely at the time like I am now. I got the smaller primaries for JBA, maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to the ARH. I'm not mad at the JBAs though for the price.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tightening up the header bolts gave me some ptsd flash backs, I'll definitely pay to have them installed next time lol. Only the top and bottom bolt around cylinder 7 took some slight tightening.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I live in St. Louis, so no -20 here. Rarely below 0. I heard bad things about the Titanium coating so I went ceramic. It was twice the price to have the ARH headers cerakoted, but I wish I went that route. I wasn't planning to keep the truck indefinitely at the time like I am now. I got the smaller primaries for JBA, maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to the ARH. I'm not mad at the JBAs though for the price.
I've yet to see any coated header last including ARH's.I've had better luck with header wrap then i've ever had with a coated header.Plus wrap keeps more heat in the primaries and keeps your knock sensors happier,by reducing header pinging.Persoanlly i'd rather replace a set of headers every 10 or 12 years,then fight with replacing wiring/hoses etc,that heat de-grade from header heat.My JBA's are 9 years old,and have been double wrapped from day one,and they're still in pretty decent shape,considering they're on a nitrous fed truck,and nitrous creates a pile of exhaust heat.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tightening up the header bolts gave me some ptsd flash backs, I'll definitely pay to have them installed next time lol. Only the top and bottom bolt around cylinder 7 took some slight tightening.
The trucks are a piece of cake to install long tubes on,you gotta put a set on a Challenger/Charger or even worse a new Mustang,then you'll realise how easy it is to install long tubes on a truck,lol