AT Tires that don't throw much gravel???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The only time these tires have seen any snow was just for one morning. Woke up to go to work last Saturday to a freak snowstorm. Truck did good though, no four-wheel needed.

They haven’t seen I’ve yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks again

Intense-Dakota

Landscape and Nature Photographer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 F9r the Falken A/T3W. Have them on my 2500 and love them. Even in crappy Illinois winter they are doing amazing. I have had them in sand and gravel also with almost no rock pickup.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at new AT tires to replace the stock SRAs (also looking to go to a 275/65/20). I don't really do any off roading other than through some dry farm ground from time to time. I have been looking at Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Toyo Open Country AT2, and Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but am open to other suggestions as well. One of my main concerns is how much gravel these tires will pick up and throw on my truck. I do have Husky mud guards and Tyger side steps which should help some, but I drive a couple of miles of gravel a few times a week.

Anyone have suggestions on AT tires that won't throw much gravel?
Goodrich Rugged terrain t/a's. best all around you can get.

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had Fuel AT for about 26000 miles. Not showing much wear at all. I have a gravel driveway and they pick up some rocks but not as much as I anticipated. Like everyone else said, it's like finding a unicorn.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had the KO2s and they not only sling, but they take a couple of miles to clean out. I next had the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they did not sling much and cleaned out almost instantly. My last tires are the Cooper AT3 XLTs. They do not sling bad, but take more to clean out than the Nittos. All were LT tires.

The last set of Ridge Grapplers vibrated like hell, and after the second set did the same they switched them out for the AT3s. I had the same shop put the Ridge Grapplers on my 15' Ram and wanted the same on my 17' Ram. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers have a rough ride even when balanced! I am happy with the smoother ride of the AT3s. The AT3s have a 2 ply sidewall vs the 3 ply sidewall of the Ridge Grapplers. They both have the aggressive looking sidewalls. I noticed slightly less Winter traction with the AT3s, but they get me up my driveway hill in 2 wheel. The factory Firestones would not!

I had wanted to switch from the Nittos to the Toyos, but the dealer said that they were the essentially the same company as Nitto and could not order me the Toyos cause they sell the Nittos.

Gas mileage wise I can not tell you the AT3s would be much better than the Nittos... It is not about gas mileage for me. I drive mainly highway, but go off road in camping season so I need a tire that can handle that too!

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the type of driving you described, I'd go with Michelin LT2. Great tire. It's the best tire I ever had on my trucks, including ice/snow, rain/wet and dry roads. If all my driving was on the road, paved and gravel, with some dry farm driving, that's the way I'd go. Anything more aggressive is going to be just for looks.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
15487341383068357247214551115295.jpg
I've had the KO2s and they not only sling, but they take a couple of miles to clean out. I next had the Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they did not sling much and cleaned out almost instantly. My last tires are the Cooper AT3 XLTs. They do not sling bad, but take more to clean out than the Nittos. All were LT tires.

The last set of Ridge Grapplers vibrated like hell, and after the second set did the same they switched them out for the AT3s. I had the same shop put the Ridge Grapplers on my 15' Ram and wanted the same on my 17' Ram. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers have a rough ride even when balanced! I am happy with the smoother ride of the AT3s. The AT3s have a 2 ply sidewall vs the 3 ply sidewall of the Ridge Grapplers. They both have the aggressive looking sidewalls. I noticed slightly less Winter traction with the AT3s, but they get me up my driveway hill in 2 wheel. The factory Firestones would not!

I had wanted to switch from the Nittos to the Toyos, but the dealer said that they were the essentially the same company as Nitto and could not order me the Toyos cause they sell the Nittos.

Gas mileage wise I can not tell you the AT3s would be much better than the Nittos... It is not about gas mileage for me. I drive mainly highway, but go off road in camping season so I need a tire that can handle that too!
The ridge grapplers do clear easy because of the larger tread void, but snow performance on them is not very good. If its fresh snow sure, but packed or icy. I find them to be poor performers. The
blocks are to big and the sipes are to few so they're closer to a mud than an at imho. I have them on my truck and like them, but run dedicated snows come winter. I hace run a few sets of toyo ats and will probably again. They still throw rocks less than the bfg, but more than the nitto ridge grappler. I suspect its their harder tread compound, which also gave me 75% more mileage per set on my 3500 vs the bfg. I live on a gravel road with a gravel driveeay and work off gravel resource roads so I have many test miles.

Last edited:

Ofishl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l ecodiesel
Nitto Terra Grapps doing good...tend spit them and stay reasonably clear...I did clear wrap my lower panels all the way around when I bought the truck and they have very few dings in them..great tires..look good

ultivssl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Went from stock SRA's with only 12k kms on them to BFG KO2's since the SRAs kept having rocks punch through them.

Where I live, I drive about 50kms of gravel each day (live on an acreage) and the KO2s are horrible for picking up rocks and firing them (when going 60kph or slower they'll actually hit my own windshield). In my experience tho, they clean themselves out pretty good, but everything is frozen too.

They also are worse on ice than the SRA's as I find myself wanting to put into 4wd more than the stockers. But don't since I don't have the auto transfercase.

But having said all that, they track great in the gravel and don't care about ruts and they aren't too noisy either.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
YEP^^^
I had KO2s on my wife's Cherokee and they were great tires unless you had to take them on gravels which is why I didn't get them for my Ram.
They'd pick up so many rocks that it sounded like she was driving studded tires when she got back on pavement...