AT Tires that don't throw much gravel???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm looking at new AT tires to replace the stock SRAs (also looking to go to a 275/65/20). I don't really do any off roading other than through some dry farm ground from time to time. I have been looking at Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Toyo Open Country AT2, and Falken Wildpeak AT3W, but am open to other suggestions as well. One of my main concerns is how much gravel these tires will pick up and throw on my truck. I do have Husky mud guards and Tyger side steps which should help some, but I drive a couple of miles of gravel a few times a week.

Anyone have suggestions on AT tires that won't throw much gravel?

JColdIron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Anyone have suggestions on AT tires that won't throw much gravel?

You might want to look at Mud Terrain type tires if you don't want to sling gravel. More open space between treads. ATs by design have a bit more tightly spaced tread but more open than street tire. Perfect spacing for gravel.

I have BFG AT kos and a gravel drive. I sling a piece just about every time I leave the house! Usually hear it hit the wheel well liner. So definitely avoid them.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I doubt you'll find anything that doesn't sling some gravel....my son had the new Yokahama Geolander on his ram and they are not too bad....the ne Parelli scorpion is supposed to be better, but I hav no first hand knowledge

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I drive on gravel/sandy roads daily with my Nokian Rotiva AT plus in LT275/65-20 E.

They throw a rock or two, but overall, WAY fewer than my Wrangler Duratracs, Destination A/Ts, Discoverer AT3s, and my buddy's KO2s.

They are also snowflake (3pms) rated if that makes any difference to you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Reaction score
The G2 is definitely a rock grabber but has gotten better with mileage. BFG was always better for me but I haven't purchased any in the last 7_8 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

MYMISSIONISFISHIN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check out the Hercules Terra Trac AT2 tires. I just purchased these for my truck so have no 1st hand knowledge on whether they throw up gravel or not. I also have mud guards. Heres a review on them on YouTube.

james.price.58

U.S. Navy Veteran
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wish you luck, but I think you're looking for a unicorn! I tried the same thing on several Jeeps but that tire doesn't seem to exist. The factory SRA's (not even an AT) would pick up LOTS of smaller gravel...the larger the spacing between the treadblocks became, they just grabbed larger and larger gravel bits ( KO2, duratrac, MT atz's...)I ran some **** Cepek MT's that were really the only tires that didn't pick up and throw gravel. But they were horribly loud and a bit unsafe in wet conditions.
I think you're fairly safe with mud flaps and running boards with just about any tire.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ClarkandAddison

ClarkandAddison

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for everyone's replies. I figured most (if not all) ATs would throw gravel, I was just hoping someone else had found one that didn't. Guess I'll just rely on the side steps and mud guards.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I live in Iowa. About 40% of our roads are gravel.
Mud Terrains are your best bet IMO.
I had a set of BFG KMs on my Wrangler and I could fly down gravels with nary a blip of gravel noise...
So far the Kanati Trailhogs I put on my Ram have been very good as well, but the Mud Terrains were better.
Kanati makes a Mudhog too I kinda wish I'd tried.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I don’t know if you want that aggressive of a tire but something with more of a mud tread would probably be better than an most all terrains for that. But definitely stay away from the BFG at’s if you don’t want rocks slinging in all directions. I don’t even have much gravel road between my house and the highway, maybe 3/16 of a mile in each direction but the BFG/AT’s I had, would fling rocks for almost 2 miles after I’d get on the highway.

Another thing to consider, if you don’t want a heavy 8 ply tire, that’s another reason to stay away from those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're worried about little gravel throw which i have no idea why as you're driving a big truck after all :), just get HT tires or maybe put some mud guards in the thing ?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
If you were really concerned get some 3m clear vinyl installed in the high impact areas. Tighter voids on all tires suggested will pick up and throw gravel. Honestly the only tires I've ever run that picked up nearly no gravel were nitto trail grapplers. That's under normal driving where stones push into the siping and get stuck between treads to be launched at highway speeds a bit later. Some will always be kicked up driving on the road, but otherwise your best choice is preventative care for the paint.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ve had both the Toyo Open Country AT-2 and the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Toyos didn’t really sling too many rocks if I remember. Nittos tho slung A LOT. Not sure why they differ though because they’re a very similar tire/tread pattern

bigdodge

Reaction score
I’ve had both the Toyo Open Country AT-2 and the Nitto Terra Grappler G2. Toyos didn’t really sling too many rocks if I remember. Nittos tho slung A LOT. Not sure why they differ though because they’re a very similar tire/tread pattern
The G2 definitely picks em up. Any insight as far as snow performance between the 2? Thinking of trying the toyo next but have been impressed with their performance in the snow.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bald ones. Apart from that they all pick them up. Just different size rocks depending on the tread void. The ones with ramped blocks tend to shed them easier so they come out at lower speeds, but those are mostly mud terrains. Softer compound and deeper tread depth vs the more road focused tires means the rocks can stick in there easier and tighter.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The G2 definitely picks em up. Any insight as far as snow performance between the 2? Thinking of trying the toyo next but have been impressed with their performance in the snow.

Both tires were exceptional in the snow. If I was getting AT’s again I would get the Toyo’s

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not necessarily. I had a set of Cooper Discoverer AT/3’s on my old Ram that really didn’t sling anymore rocks than my new Michelin Defenders do and those are pretty mild, even for a new tire.

Corn, have you driven the defenders in any snow/ice ? Thanks

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Corn, have you driven the defenders in any snow/ice ? Thanks

The only time these tires have seen any snow was just for one morning. Woke up to go to work last Saturday to a freak snowstorm. Truck did good though, no four-wheel needed.

They haven’t seen ice yet.

Last edited: