Best AT tires for everyday use and snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D's Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Cooper AT3's on mine now for 3 years. So far they are holding up well. My only complaint is that I do seem to get a fair amount of browning on certain areas on the sidewall but at least it comes off with a good tire cleaner.

Bigg Greene

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tuned/deleted 6.7 L, Hardway tune/deletes/exhaust selectable to 550 Hp
Had Nitto Mud Grapplers for 50 K miles + in South FL. ('13 2500, 6.7, 8 inch lift, full delete, tune to 550, 1100 lb torque) Will pull a house off foundation. But 15.5 wides/20/40's desstroyed two driver side hubs, and broke two drag link ends clean off! Went with 13.5 wides and no repeats. Nitto isnt delivering the Mud Grapplers locally. They're noisy but I like the sound on the hwy! I'd say in serious 4wd applications (36 in snow etc) theyd be unstoppable. Strictly hwy and minimal 4wd needs, ridge runners are adequate and hwy friendly IMO!

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using BF Goodrich AT KO 2 for a long time. (size 285R70/17) I only have to replace them every 8 years due to wear. My wife and I think they are a very safe snow tire and take peace of mind knowing how well they have done for us in the snow. They are pricey, but I will continue to get them for all of our trucks.

KirbyOutdoorsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.
I run KO2's and don't regret it at all. They are quiet on the highway, good in the mud which I do very little, but good patterns for the snow which we get a bunch of here in Ontario. They handle rain well also. The only advice I can give is narrower tires cut through snow and water better, so if you are choosing a size, the smaller is usually better, and not to mention cheaper. I bought the 20" ko2s to fit the factory rims, and it was pricey.
18" would be the preferred option if I had to choose over.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have said it many times here Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S....... there are a copule of AT3s from Cooper you want the 4S. It used to be the ATW+4. They are outstanding for general use lower temp rubber keeps them gripping in the cold and snow. Check out some of the videos on line.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though popular here, you can take michelin's off the list unless you want recycled plastic in your tires, their new agenda. Cooper top choice wildpeak a great value pick, but BFG's are my favorite from my experiences.

Woke Michelin reportedly tested for breakage resistance, toughness, and thermal stability. Well jeeze that's just great, anything about longevity?? Opps, maybe this darwin move works out but why take a chance with you and your families lives? There are plenty of things they can use recycled plastic for, it doesnt have to go into tires, this is a "choice". It certainly isnt being stated this is a better product then plastic that wasnt previously denatured.
Discount Tires Pathfinder A/Ts are the ones. Good luck.

WaPhilips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.
in KS now, but born and raised in the Adirondacks... I ran Wildpeak AT3W LT tires (kept at 42 PSI) for over 100,000 mile here on my last truck, got 72K on the first set, traded in the truck in with lots of life on the 2d. -- great in rain, snow and off road. planning to put on my new RAM when i wear down the factory tires a bit more.

RedRAM21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
OP, I didn't see this post ,so I post now.

First off, I have run the BFG ATs, for over 18 years or at least as long as they have been available.
I ran these tire on my '88 Ford Ranger and my '03 Ranger, getting 8 plus years out of the tires... that works, along with all the things these tires are capable of.

I recently purchased a '21 Bighorn and I am running 35 x 12.5 x 18s, so we will see how good the BFGs are on the larger trucks.

I have always run the BFG Wide Oval tire on my Mustangs and they stood the test of time and me.

I cant speak good or bad of the other tires but to me, the BFG ATs are the end all for All Terrain Tires.

Sorry I didn't read all of the previous postings so if I repeated anything, you know why.

JRitz187

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noone mentioned Toyo RTs? I'm on my second set of 35s on my 2016, got ~75K miles on the last set and looking about the same for the current. They are quiet, balance well and look aggressive and actually have different sidewall patterns for a bit of choice in aesthetics. No issues in snow or rain, not cheap but have been a great tire for quiet aggressive look with mostly highway driving.

frag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi v8
I've been running the Falken Wild Peaks for a couple years now. No problems. Good mileage. Good in snow and fairly quiet on dry pavement.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I replaced the GY originals with Kuhmo HT’s which are one of the few highway tread tires with the 3PMSF. I’m looking at replacing those with an AT tire and am curious about Milestar Patagonia’s - AT/R and XT. I have the 20” wheels and I see the AT/R for $143 on Walmart and the XT for $185. Anybody have any experience with these?

Also, I had BFG KO’s on a 2004 Renger. They had great traction in all types of weather and were relatively quiet. I ended up replacing them with P rated Kuhmo AT tires and I noticed a huge improvement in ride, braking and handling due to the much lighter tire. Just something to think about with LT tires.

rcallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not know much about AT tires as I have dedicated snow tires for the winter.

I am interested in the Kumho HT 51 tire for the summer

How did you like yours?
Any info or recommendation appreciated

Thanks

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I do not know much about AT tires as I have dedicated snow tires for the winter.

I am interested in the Kumho HT 51 tire for the summer

How did you like yours?
Any info or recommendation appreciated

Thanks
Excellent. Good wet and snow traction plus they are very smooth and quiet on the highway. I highly recommend them.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
MasterCraft CXT are good and made in USA by an American company..

Cooper/Goodyear.

OP, just remember, whatever you get, tires with larger tread blocks and not a lot of sipes are typically not so good in the winter, on lightly snowy roads, or hard pack snow. Esp once they begin to wear down and the edges get rounded. Dedicated snow tires have many smaller tread blocks and a lot of sipes which *usually* go all the way down. So look for a tire somewhere in between but closer to the snow-style tires...if you're looking for good winter tread.

OTOH, tires with large tread-blocks have other advantages on dry roads/mud/rocks, etc. Something to keep in mind.

rcallen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks jmc921

I will be going with the Kumhos come spring

The Good years are getting thin on tread, especially the right rear

GeoffG68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can I disagree with the KO2 fans? I'm in SE Michigan; we get about 40" of snow a year, mostly 1-3 inches at a time. I put about 7000 miles per year on my 2011 Ram 5.7L/4x4/3.92s. The KO2s are acceptable in the snow when they're brand new. When they've got about 10K miles on them, they're starting to lose their edge. I have had to replace two sets at 20K miles because they were worn down to 4/32". Note these are the Load Range E tires (I haul scrap metal a couple thousand miles a year and the truck is heavily loaded when I do. "Empty" it's close to 6K pounds.) I'm using the 275/70R17 sized tires.

IMO, 20K miles on a $1200+ set of truck tires is lousy mileage. Yes, it does take me nearly 3 years to put that many on, and perhaps there's something else going on besides just the miles -- maybe sunlight is doing a number on the rubber? The truck gets regular maintenance including alignments.

This most recent go-around in July I purchased some Toyo Open Country AT tires in the same size. They've got a couple thousand miles on them now. I guess we'll see. The price was close to the same as the KO2s; I'd be happy if I got 40K miles out of them.