Best AT tires for everyday use and snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthCountry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I go with General Grabber ATx all terrain tires. They are great in the snow. Have a 3 peak rating, as well as great road manners. Can't go wrong if you decide to try.

daberk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I like my Toyo Open Country AT3s but would like something a little more aggressive next time around. I'm looking at the Open Country RT Trails. Any experiences with those?

blake292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
Nokian's snow performance is legendary. The Nokian Outpost AT carries the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, combined with an aggressive AT tread. And a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. Given your requirements, they would perform well. I'm happily running them on my 4th gen Cummins 3500.

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.
Know the roads you will be driving. We live in SE Idaho and, because we have both paved and nonpaved roads, snow plowing is done leaving 1-2" of snow on the roads with no salt. Once that gets driven on it gets packed and icy. So AT tires on a full sized truck do not properly grip, even Blizzacks. I've seen too many vehicles slide into an intersection. So we drive studded snow tires and feel safe and secure.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Copper Discoverer AT3 siped for winter. Been running these for at least 5 years and love em. SE ID mountains where we have 6+ months of ice/snow.

IdahoDen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nokian's snow performance is legendary. The Nokian Outpost AT carries the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake symbol, combined with an aggressive AT tread. And a 60,000-mile treadwear warranty. Given your requirements, they would perform well. I'm happily running them on my 4th gen Cummins 3500.

According to the Nokian website, the Outpost AT is out of production.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This may go against popular opinion, but I wasn't happy with the Cooper AT3s at all. Traction was OK and I felt every single bump. OEM Goodyears are basic quality. I went with their Trailrunners which have characteristics of an offroad with highway tire. I like them. I'm on my second set. First set I had on a Ford Expedition. They lasted around 50k. They still passed inspection, but they were worn. New set is on my RAM. They have excellent traction in snow. I live in WNY. I do a lot of towing with my RAM. My seasonal campsite is up a hill. I have to back up a 34ft camper up-hill in-between two trees. You need a lot of traction and control. The tires perform great.

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I ended up finding a deal on the falkens so I got them on order. We will see how they are, I really almost went with the general atx bc of the price … bfgs if I had the extra I prolly would have spent it but at 265-268 a tire it’s a lil extra… coppers I loved on my lil jeep I had, but a trucks different. I did like my nittos other than cornering and rain I felt it was a lil slick not bad at all but I felt like there was room to improve.

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
This may go against popular opinion, but I wasn't happy with the Cooper AT3s at all. Traction was OK and I felt every single bump. OEM Goodyears are basic quality. I went with their Trailrunners which have characteristics of an offroad with highway tire. I like them. I'm on my second set. First set I had on a Ford Expedition. They lasted around 50k. They still passed inspection, but they were worn. New set is on my RAM. They have excellent traction in snow. I live in WNY. I do a lot of towing with my RAM. My seasonal campsite is up a hill. I have to back up a 34ft camper up-hill in-between two trees. You need a lot of traction and control. The tires perform great.
That’s a new one to me … there is a lot of options out there

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
I like my Toyo Open Country AT3s but would like something a little more aggressive next time around. I'm looking at the Open Country RT Trails. Any experiences with those?
No experience myself… at tires I e only had cooper at3 on a jeep and nitto ridge grapplers on the truck… at3 on the jeep was great no complaints….. the truck the nittos were great as well only thing I could knock on them was dry pavement cornering and wet pavement cornering as well … they just felt like they didn’t handle well in the corners I guess … snow was not an issue at all and fast take offs and handling at high speed was good.. off-road I only did minor off-road nothing crazy and they were good … so I’ll see how these falken wildpeak at3w are… reviews have them high on wet and snowy roads

David James

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i upgraded from the **** hole stock Goodyears a year or two ago. I went with the nitto ridge grapplers, and not much to complain about. I’ve been looking to replace two of mine that a wheel bearing, and alignment have worn out the outside. Im starting to think that maybe falken wildpeak at3w, general grabber atx, or maybe the cooper at3 4s maybe a better option overall. I don’t tow much if at all, only off-road I do is back roads for camping and fishing so basically just dirt roads and rock. The one thing I do want is good traction in the snow. I live in the Adirondacks and we can get up to 32” in a snow storm. I don’t know if it’s worth switching over 4 all new tires or just saying ehh and grab two new ridge grapplers for the two that are worn down on the outside.
I purchased four Nexen Roadian HTX-2 For my 16 Ram 1500 4wd. They are “three peak” rated for winter use yet provide quiet and competent good weather highway service. They don’t appear “aggressive” if that’s of importance to you.

My prior tires were the OEM Goodyears that gave me 50k service, and Continental Sure Tracs that gave me about 60k service; neither was on the wear bars although the Contis had more depth than the Goodyears. I drive gently and am easy on tires and brakes, but that doesn’t mean I’m slow. Good luck.

OP
OP
ThorsRams

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
From plenty of personal experience in the Midwest with 1-2ft of snow at times, I will say the Fallen Wildpeek AT3W were the best by far for price, tractions, and wear. With the original BFG AT T/A KO2 coming close
That’s good to hear, I got a set of 4 coming tomorrow. The snow and wet traction and the price I got them for is what sold me. Those k02 are tempting just a lil higher price, I do gotta say tho the nittos were good in snow for it having that 3 peak flake rating so makes me curious how this ram will be with the falkens

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ran BFG KO2 for years but found that they were slippery on wet pavement. Switched to Cooper AT3 4S and much better on wet roads and great in snow or dry roads.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Every set of Michelins I've had started getting dry cracks in the sidewalls after a few years. Never had that problem with BFG's or my present Coopers.
They'e known for that. My Toyo's have never cracked and the right side of my truck faces west and gets bombarded by sun. I had some BFG's that took 4-9 oz of weight to balance and had highway vibes from day one. Road Force wouldn't dent the vibes. Discount wouldn't help me and BFG said to contact my dealer. I was left to dry on the hanger. Toyo's ever since.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT is an e-rated tire with the 3 peaks symbol. They have been fine in the snow and dirt roads. A bit stiff but I run them at 70 pounds for towing. The tow and corner just great.

Eric L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Personally, I like the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T.
Excellent tires, snow rated, low road noise and 50K warranty.20220804_135416.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat