ATS Diesel built 545 RFE transmissions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Figured I'd post an update since I finally received my core money back.

The transmission works great, I've put 750 miles on it without incident. However dealing with ATS has been a bit of a headache and now it looks like I'll be out $400 more. I'm not a person to go bash any company online but this has me a bit pissed off after I just spent $4500.
Here's the story.

It started when I ordered the transmission, I asked if they were sure the pan would fit. I noticed that they only make one pan for the RFE 545 and it appeared as though the whole pan was a deep sump, as I know that wouldn't work with my truck since the crossover pipe comes underneath the transmission pan and wouldn't allow a pan that is 5"-6" deep. So, they assured me if I didn't use it I could return it and receive a credit. OK, great.....I'd rather not touch the pan if it will fit anyway. So, I go ahead with the purchase.
I then go return my old transmission, with the new ATS pan on it as I was told would be ok. Shipping company disked around with picking up the core for over a week, which isn't ATS's fault. They pick up the trans, I call back a week later saying they'd received the core. I ask specifically about the pan and was told "Yes, I see it here in the notes". I then call back a week or 2 later asking when I could expect my core check and am told " In a week or 2 and I see in the notes you returned the pan, you will receive a credit or check with your core check". I wait another week and my core check shows up and there's no extra check for the pan refund. I check my CC to see if they credited my card and no, they haven't.
I called today and they bounced me around to a few people then finally I spoke with Jeff who is in charge of returns, whom I believe I spoke with before I sent the trans back, but of course....I can't find any emails. He informs me I haven't spoken with him and that he has no way to know if the pan has come back or not since I don't have an RMA#. I believe I actually got an RMA number from him, but have no way to prove this since I believe my paper with my notes from this whole process is gone.
One thing that annoyed me is in "the notes" he says I've only contacted them once when I've been in touch with them a minimum of 20 times.
End result is he is going to process an RMA and there's a possibility that I'll receive a refund in 4-6 weeks.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in their customer service.

The transmission has worked fine, their communication has been lacking. I didn't even complain when it took them an extra 3 weeks to make the transmission.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for your problems--At least I hope the trans does a good job for you.
Jay

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Figured I'd post an update since I finally received my core money back.

The transmission works great, I've put 750 miles on it without incident. However dealing with ATS has been a bit of a headache and now it looks like I'll be out $400 more. I'm not a person to go bash any company online but this has me a bit pissed off after I just spent $4500.
Here's the story.

It started when I ordered the transmission, I asked if they were sure the pan would fit. I noticed that they only make one pan for the RFE 545 and it appeared as though the whole pan was a deep sump, as I know that wouldn't work with my truck since the crossover pipe comes underneath the transmission pan and wouldn't allow a pan that is 5"-6" deep. So, they assured me if I didn't use it I could return it and receive a credit. OK, great.....I'd rather not touch the pan if it will fit anyway. So, I go ahead with the purchase.
I then go return my old transmission, with the new ATS pan on it as I was told would be ok. Shipping company disked around with picking up the core for over a week, which isn't ATS's fault. They pick up the trans, I call back a week later saying they'd received the core. I ask specifically about the pan and was told "Yes, I see it here in the notes". I then call back a week or 2 later asking when I could expect my core check and am told " In a week or 2 and I see in the notes you returned the pan, you will receive a credit or check with your core check". I wait another week and my core check shows up and there's no extra check for the pan refund. I check my CC to see if they credited my card and no, they haven't.
I called today and they bounced me around to a few people then finally I spoke with Jeff who is in charge of returns, whom I believe I spoke with before I sent the trans back, but of course....I can't find any emails. He informs me I haven't spoken with him and that he has no way to know if the pan has come back or not since I don't have an RMA#. I believe I actually got an RMA number from him, but have no way to prove this since I believe my paper with my notes from this whole process is gone.
One thing that annoyed me is in "the notes" he says I've only contacted them once when I've been in touch with them a minimum of 20 times.
End result is he is going to process an RMA and there's a possibility that I'll receive a refund in 4-6 weeks.

I'm thoroughly disappointed in their customer service.

The transmission has worked fine, their communication has been lacking. I didn't even complain when it took them an extra 3 weeks to make the transmission.
Glad the transmission is working out; hope that things lasts 10 year. You got any pics or videos?

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Glad the transmission is working out; hope that things lasts 10 year. You got any pics or videos?

Actually I just bought a 2500 diesel so I won’t know as this truck will be up for sale.

I’ll get some videos later but honestly doesn’t feel much different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok, Ok!!!! We definitely need pics of the new rig :)

Thanks!

8036e4650fb65164ebe143c3dae099d2.jpg

b76caea5d0218a6d5a1c0a0fcea9fded.jpg

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Figured I'd let everyone know, ATS sent me a refund.
I'm really surprised judging by the way the last phone conversation went.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Figured I'd let everyone know, ATS sent me a refund.
I'm really surprised judging by the way the last phone conversation went.

Thanks for the updates and posting your entire experience.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you get an upgraded 545? and valve body? I think us guys with the 545 are semi screwed, just bad gearing and the guys with the 68rfe's are just getting way better mileage and performance. I say semi screwed because these are upgradable at least, something harder to do with the new 8 speeds, but boy I sure with I had the 6 speed.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you get an upgraded 545? and valve body? I think us guys with the 545 are semi screwed, just bad gearing and the guys with the 68rfe's are just getting way better mileage and performance. I say semi screwed because these are upgradable at least, something harder to do with the new 8 speeds, but boy I sure with I had the 6 speed.

Yes. I bought the stage III transmission with torque converter and Co pilot. Yes, it’s got the upgraded VB. I think it’s definitely worth it, I was seeing prices of reman transmission for around $2k. You can buy the ATS transmission with VB upgrades and all for $2100.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes. I bought the stage III transmission with torque converter and Co pilot. Yes, it’s got the upgraded VB. I think it’s definitely worth it, I was seeing prices of reman transmission for around $2k. You can buy the ATS transmission with VB upgrades and all for $2100.

awesome

TRX-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know if ATS transmission has corrected their issues..?
I am in the market for an performance 545RFE , for a 5.7 Stroker motor I recently installed in my truck. Have heard a lot of horror stories about ATS.
Or if someone knows a shop that builds solid transmissions that I can contact.
Anything would help.

OP
OP
M

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does anyone know if ATS transmission has corrected their issues..?
I am in the market for an performance 545RFE , for a 5.7 Stroker motor I recently installed in my truck. Have heard a lot of horror stories about ATS.
Or if someone knows a shop that builds solid transmissions that I can contact.
Anything would help.

From all I’ve read on another forum, yes.....they got their issues squared away. It hasn’t been until 1.5-2 years ago but it looks like they are good to go now. If you search for built 545RFE you’ll find the thread I’m talking about.

The only other guy I’ve heard of is L&M in De and I couldn’t get a response from him or that’s what I would’ve bought.

TRX-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Paramount builds some solid transmissions, but there are pricey.

Just don’t want to spend a few grand and have to keep taking it back out because of one issue or another like I’ve read.

Don’t know them , so I can’t talk bad for now. Will see what they have to say.