Auto-Fold Mirror Hack.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Sanders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone with power mirrors tried or thought about this? The lack of an auto-fold feature is fast becoming my number one PITA on the RAM 1500.

So the mirror is actuated from a “reset” type switch on the armrest. Push it in and let go and the mirror will cycle in or out, then wait for the next reset signal. Seems to work with power on or off, but need to fully test it. Simple enough.

My thought is to tap into that line with a flash signal from one of the remote controlled circuits like the horn or lights that flash upon remote lock/unlock.

Now I wouldn’t want my mirrors to fold in as I’m honking at some millennial texting in the fast lane, so I was thinking of running the hack line through an NC relay hooked to switch power so it only works when switch power is off. Thus power on the horn circuit will only get to the mirror switch when switched power is off and not while I’m driving.

Thoughts?
why not just accept the folding mirror feature for what it does rather than risk messing up the electronics on the truck? seems to me you're asking for a truckload of trouble.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if Tazer can do it, then Alfa should be able to. anyone know the programmer on Alfa?

Tazer only does it because its plugged in all the time. If you unplug the Tazer form the OBDII port, it will not autofold the mirrors when the truck is shut off.

Alfa doesnt work that way...it can send the signal to "test" the mirror fold, but since its an app running on a device, it doesnt "fire off" things like Tazer does when constantly connected to the port because its not "hosted" in the truck, its on your device.

Now, if you could find a device that would send the "test" message that Alfa sends, maybe it would work....but again it would need to be connected 100% of the time, to actually send that message over the CAN bus once the truck is shut down. And Im guessing thats exactly what the Tazer does, but IMHO is an expensive unit for such a small gain.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There is a scenario where after you are out of the truck you must push the ignition button to get the power mirrors to work. So you gotta climb halfway in, push the ignition, push the mirror, then push the ignition twice again then get out and lock. TOTAL PITA for something that could be easily designed into the software. It just proves the people who design these features don’t use their own products. Major sin for a consumer products company.
Please describe this scenario, because I've never seen it. And I've had times where I haven't driven my truck for hours or even days, and my mirror switch works without having to push the start button. From what I've seen, the mirror switch is always on.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Please describe this scenario, because I've never seen it. And I've had times where I haven't driven my truck for hours or even days, and my mirror switch works without having to push the start button. From what I've seen, the mirror switch is always on.

agreed- mine always works regardless of the truck ignition position.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
Get out of truck. Lock. Notice mirrors not folded. Unlock truck with hand sensor. Push mirror button. Nothing. 2019 Laramie with level 2

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get out of truck. Lock. Notice mirrors not folded. Unlock truck with hand sensor. Push mirror button. Nothing. 2019 Laramie with level 2

Either something is wrong with yours or for some reason they changed this with the 5th gens. Sounds like @mikeru has a 5th gen that is working properly though so it would seem something is up with yours.

Any other 5th gen owners that can verify this?

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
Either something is wrong with yours or for some reason they changed this with the 5th gens. Sounds like @mikeru has a 5th gen that is working properly though so it would seem something is up with yours.

Any other 5th gen owners that can verify this?
Just went out in the garage. My truck hasn't moved since last Sunday. Opened driver door, hit button and the mirrors folded. Key fob 25 ft away and not touched.

XROC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Works , cause I too forget to fold in at times and would have to unlock and press mirror button without powering on .

ashasha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can imagine a scenario where they fold out on their own, someone goes to pull out of the garage...and BLAM....mirrors are folded manually by the garage door frame.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the ideal way, at least for me, would be to link a keyfob button to the mirrors. That way you prevent "over use" of the motors (every time you get in and out of the truck) but still have ability to fold them remotely if necessary.

Granite Ghost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank goodness mine came with the mod already in. And it is one of my favorite features of the truck

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
why not just accept the folding mirror feature for what it does rather than risk messing up the electronics on the truck? seems to me you're asking for a truckload of trouble.

A button is a button. Doesn't matter if it's on a door, or a remote. It's still just a "button" to the electronics of the vehicle. Another reason remote start should be pretty much standard on all vehicles today. Anyway, just my opinion.

I hope the Tazer is updated for the 2020's soon. I miss some features I had on my 2015 Silverado, like the remote window down (REALLY good in Summer to quick cool a truck after sitting in the sun before you get in. Amazing difference.) and the auto fold mirrors from remote.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank goodness mine came with the mod already in. And it is one of my favorite features of the truck

Folding automatically? AFAIK no one ever made a mod and it never came from the factory like that.

Yes you can add the power folding mirrors (that will use the button) but what everyone here is asking is how to get it to do it automatically when you shut down the truck.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A button is a button. Doesn't matter if it's on a door, or a remote. It's still just a "button" to the electronics of the vehicle. Another reason remote start should be pretty much standard on all vehicles today. Anyway, just my opinion.

I hope the Tazer is updated for the 2020's soon. I miss some features I had on my 2015 Silverado, like the remote window down (REALLY good in Summer to quick cool a truck after sitting in the sun before you get in. Amazing difference.) and the auto fold mirrors from remote.

AlfaOBD can be used to enable Global Down (hold the unlock button to roll the windows down). Global Up is not available (we're assuming safety reasons)

Auto fold mirrors from remote, yes that would be my preferred implementation, but alas that does not exist. Even the Tazer doesnt let you use the remote, it will just fold and unfold them on ignition off and on.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
And then there are the people who never fold their mirrors. “I don’t want to wear them out.” Not me.

dpinvidic

This guy gets shotgun
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone said, a button is a button. You should consider connecting a relay with the contacts on that button and drive the relay coil with the voltage that controls the door locks. Therefore locking the door is like pushing the mirror button

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone said, a button is a button. You should consider connecting a relay with the contacts on that button and drive the relay coil with the voltage that controls the door locks. Therefore locking the door is like pushing the mirror button

Vehicles dont work that way anymore.

The button is pressed and sends a MESSAGE do the module that controls the folding mirrors. The module interprets that message and tells the mirror to fold.

*Maybe* you could go between that module and the mirror fold wires, but its not the easiest to tap into, plus you could potentially cause issues with your button being inline of the wires that the truck will still need to use to deal with folding the mirrors. The BCM is sensitive to things like resistance, etc.