Auto-Fold Mirror Hack.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone with power mirrors tried or thought about this? The lack of an auto-fold feature is fast becoming my number one PITA on the RAM 1500.

So the mirror is actuated from a “reset” type switch on the armrest. Push it in and let go and the mirror will cycle in or out, then wait for the next reset signal. Seems to work with power on or off, but need to fully test it. Simple enough.

My thought is to tap into that line with a flash signal from one of the remote controlled circuits like the horn or lights that flash upon remote lock/unlock.

Now I wouldn’t want my mirrors to fold in as I’m honking at some millennial texting in the fast lane, so I was thinking of running the hack line through an NC relay hooked to switch power so it only works when switch power is off. Thus power on the horn circuit will only get to the mirror switch when switched power is off and not while I’m driving.

Thoughts?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I really wish my mirrors folded on lock. My wife's exploder does that.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
AFAIK its not just a relay.....CAN bus is involved so its not just a matter of flipping a switch.
I was thinking it might be more complicated but the reset armrest switch seems simple to me. I just want to hack that signal. If I can I think CAN bus operates as normal. It does not know the signal is coming from the horn as I’ve spoofed it.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
In Ohio I mostly have 30-50 year olds texting and driving. I honked at one and he almost sideswiped me. Then acted confused when I call him out on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn’t the TAZER accomplish this without any issue? Maybe just spring for the relatively cheap TAZER and save yourself a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tazer does it, as long as its left in the OBD port at all times.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
There's already a button on the door to retract the mirrors...why would you want to honk the horn to accomplish the same thing?
I don’t think you were following me unless you are being sarcastic. If you were then cheers.

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
I wouldn't want it standard for sure. I've already had the passenger mirror replaced because it stopped folding.

Just a thought, your hand is right there to open your door, so just touch the fold button when leaving the truck...... Simple....

The two reasons for me to want my mirrors folded is the car wash or at some restaurants where the spaces are tight and no out of the way parking available. At restaurants, if I feel the need to fold them I need them folded before I get out so my passengers and I can get by them exiting the truck.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to have it, just to have it.

As far as using the button, I *think* once you open the driver door (after shutting off the truck) it kills power to the folding mirrors. So you could use the button before shutting the truck off, then waiting for them to fold. But that seems a bit annoying.

It also might be nice to be able to fold them at will, depending on where you are, or if you forgot to fold them when leaving the truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

As far as using the button, I *think* once you open the driver door (after shutting off the truck) it kills power to the folding mirrors. So you could use the button before shutting the truck off, then waiting for them to fold. But that seems a bit annoying.

It also might be nice to be able to fold them at will, depending on where you are, or if you forgot to fold them when leaving the truck.

Opening the doors does not kill power to the folding mirrors. I often open my door to fold the mirrors in after the truck has been parked for hours. Sometimes I need the clearance in my garage, and have to fold them in because I forgot to do that the last time I drove it. I'd like it if the mirrors would fold in every time I shut off the truck. I'm seriously considering buying the Tazer for this feature alone.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
Opening the doors does not kill power to the folding mirrors. I often open my door to fold the mirrors in after the truck has been parked for hours. Sometimes I need the clearance in my garage, and have to fold them in because I forgot to do that the last time I drove it. I'd like it if the mirrors would fold in every time I shut off the truck. I'm seriously considering buying the Tazer for this feature alone.

TAZER could be worth it but my concern is that I think it only has a two year warranty. If it doesn’t last the life of my truck it could get expensive.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi

There is a scenario where after you are out of the truck you must push the ignition button to get the power mirrors to work. So you gotta climb halfway in, push the ignition, push the mirror, then push the ignition twice again then get out and lock. TOTAL PITA for something that could be easily designed into the software. It just proves the people who design these features don’t use their own products. Major sin for a consumer products company.

I don’t really need it to open on entry because I am going to punch my mirrors open as soon as I get going anyway. It’s really just on exit that it matters.

And to the poster who wants me to remember without fail every time I get out...I say whatever, you’re not me.

Kinda have the same issue with that back window. Would be cool to FOB it closed.