aux lights wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PowerWagon2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Looking to add aux lights (light bar) to my 5th gen HD. Wiring is pretty straight forward except for the high beam trigger circuit. (allowing the ability to turn on the light bar only when high beams are on)

I read where others have used the driver side white/green headlamp wire to drive this but I see there are 2 such wires in the drive side headlight plug.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, or maybe there is a better solution someone already found to do this?

Thanks!

Wadejesu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wired mine separate from the factory can-bus system with a separate switch, that way I can turn lights on/off whenever. Straight to battery through a fuse so you can turn on without key on.

OP
OP
PowerWagon2019

PowerWagon2019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I did not get the VSIM option so I am looking for another trigger circuit option for the high beams.

Thanks!

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine is a 2016 so not sure how different the 2019 is but I imagine it is very similar?

I have a aux switch (several actually) that I mounted in the lower dash but I also tied it into the high beams so I can either turn it on independently or in combination with the high beams.

I used the high beam driver coming out of the BCM inside the cab. Tied it in to the light bar relay with the aux switch. I used diodes to protect the BCM from any back current. I also added a switch where I can disable the light bat with high beams if I want.

Here is a 2018 BCM diagram (same as my 2016.

headlightprojector.png

And how I wired it in

Highbeam3.jpg

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I’ve got the aux switches and vsim and will be tackling this issue this fall. I’m looking to mount lights in the front and rear for better visibility. The rear lights are easy and will be ties into the backup light circuit. The lights up front will be another story... let me know what you decide to do and we can compare notes.