Avoid Cooper Tires Especially Discoverer at3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've noticed many if not most tire manufacturers have updated their base rubber recipes to silica reinforced rubber blends, providing a good blend of traction (soft rubber) and tread life (silica additive - basically sand, which is like grinding wheel grit). Since this reformulation about 5-10 years ago, I've had better performance and longevity from my tires.

I've been running General Grabber ATX, I know Falken Wildpeak AT3 is good too. Cooper was ok, just not as highly rated as those two. Goodyear, well, I don't know if they updated their formula because they had still been having poor traction and fast wear.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had several sets of the AT3s and have had good service from them, probably 7-8 sets overall. I had 1 set get real noisey on me that was on my Durango, got what I thought was a good deal on some pirelli's and those did alright but the mileage wasn't there (longevity they claimed when I bought them) and the Durango was more wishy washy than with the coopers.
So I went back to the coopers. I have had 2 sets of the newest rendition "AT3, 4s" on 2 different Dakota's a 2wd and a 4wd and I don't think they're as good as the regular AT3s.
I bought a pair of Discoverer ATs (not AT3s) earlier this year and put them on the back of a 2wd 1012 ram 1500 at Walmart and after 12k miles so far so good.
I've heard about the horrible stories about "DON'T BUY TIRES FROM WALMART" this is the 1st time. I bought them cash and carry and mounted them myself at work. They'd ordered a set specific for someone and they never returned, they'd sold 1 to someone else, and discounted the rest $50/tire from what they go for over at walmart.com. I think they still have that 1 lone ranger left on the shelf, I will probably go see if they can get me 1 more like it (or if they have it at another location near here)
To replace the other pair of tires that were on it when I got the truck. Those were damneer brand new when I got the truck so I decided to run em out and get the goody out of them, those are much more of a hiway tread so they're on the front (Kelly edge HT, I think). I've had Kelly's before and wasn't real happy with the service life vs claimed but these came with the truck so we're basically "free". They're starting to wear funny though, I had an alignment done at about 5-6000 miles ago with them on there, records showed they only had about 5k on them when I bought the truck.
So they're at about 17k on that pair as we speak.
I'd like to rotate them but I don't want HT tread on back and AT on the front which is what I'd have if I did rotate them at this point, (and winter's coming) I may just swap sides with them and see if that helps because that would at least reverse the direction on them.

Elvira

Reaction score
Luckily i had bought my tires last year which were old stock before Goodyear took over...this will be my last set of Coopers sadly just for that reason. Michelin LTX will be my next buy for the Ram.

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had Michelin over the years, and loved em but cooper seems better bang for the buck(not the same as simply "cheaper")

az chip

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have been reading tire reviews for years. There is some nuggets in all the reviews and statements. I just wonder of all the variations if are they rotated, air press checked, alignment, and driving habits. Sometimes you just take a shot and take your chances. Thanks for the info. I was sad when GY bought Cooper.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
In the early 1990's I had a set of high dollar Michelin tires on an F 150 from Costco, I hated them they soft & wore out to darn fast, only 30K on a truck that did not tow, it was not until I had a set from the factory on my 2006 2500 CTD did I learn to like them, I got 75K out of them, now that Copper seems to no longer be a good tire I'll look at Michelin for replacement when tires on my current truck wear out...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....now that Copper seems to no longer be a good tire I'll look at Michelin for replacement when tires on my current truck wear out.

Ha ha ....it's funny how you made that jump from one person's forum post. There are likely millions coopers on the road right now ..some on vehicles you probably pass by every day. If they were not competitive with other tire brands they would have gone out of business 20 years ago. The same with Goodyear or Michelin ..or any tire brand.

artieman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a set of AT3 that I bought last year, kept air at suggested for tire and they were worn out and chunks of tire coming off at only 16k miles. ALL 4. They replaced them prorated but I’m questioning it. Unfortunately I’m speaking to the rep he said that Michelin, GoodYear, Cooper, they all have problems, bad batches, and still suggested staying with coopers at the end of the day

Rob5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I love my coops on my 2500 at 30k I was told I have 50% tread left. The only thing I’d stay shy of is the discover atp series only at discount and other chain retail stores. I was told by a coworker that used to be an engineer at cooper that the tread rubber is a different material than they put on at3 series. I have at3 xlt and will buy another set when mine wear out.

Challengersky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque
I use NITTO Tires, they are quiet, great ride, last a long time and great traction. I have tried the rest and I've found nothing compares to NITTO's.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I bought Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires for my wife's Sorento and they're feckin awesome but they're not truck tires so I'm not sure how they relate. I just know at the time they were the #1 rated SUV tire for all weather.

Old Teacher

Reaction score
Ram Year
If you can, go to Costco if they have what you need. We get ours there and they don't do you wrong.

Sking80

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’m shocked I have had mine and no issues whatsoever I tow my 25ft boat and a bobcat it has got to be a production issue with a certain date or warehouse. I have a few friends that have had theirs longer than me and recommended me to them that is why I got them

Attachments

• 303A7033-E37F-4876-B173-41FB4AA566F4.jpeg
    303A7033-E37F-4876-B173-41FB4AA566F4.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 80F191E3-9E03-4272-B05D-3993BF89E5BE.jpeg
    80F191E3-9E03-4272-B05D-3993BF89E5BE.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 8

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Do not buy coooper tires this is the second time I have been burnt by this brand in 3 months. First my 2011 jeeps cooper tires with 80% tread 1.5 yrs old went out of round on the inner edges all 4 noticed one day it started to sound like i had mud tires. Today I am driving my truck with 275/60R20 Cooper Discoverer at3 tires again about 2 yrs old 70% tread and I start to get a front end viberation looked it over SURE ENOUGH outer edge of all 4 tires out of round. I paid $1200 for these tires and loved them up until now the traction was great ect but come on... falling apart with little mileage and 70% tread I guess they dont make them like they use to........
Let mme
Do not buy coooper tires this is the second time I have been burnt by this brand in 3 months. First my 2011 jeeps cooper tires with 80% tread 1.5 yrs old went out of round on the inner edges all 4 noticed one day it started to sound like i had mud tires. Today I am driving my truck with 275/60R20 Cooper Discoverer at3 tires again about 2 yrs old 70% tread and I start to get a front end viberation looked it over SURE ENOUGH outer edge of all 4 tires out of round. I paid $1200 for these tires and loved them up until now the traction was great ect but come on... falling apart with little mileage and 70% tread I guess they dont make them like they use to........
There is a recall on Cooper tires. It would be a good idea to se if yours is one recalled.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Discoverer HT plus on my Ram. About 22k on them I'd guess. Had to balance them a couple times but seem to be wearing good. Well see.
Wifes car has Evolutions on it. Didn't know Goodyear bought them. Now i wont but Coopers again..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956